NEWPORT County AFC striker Aaron O’Connor says he is now confident that he will be fit to play before the end of the season, writes Andrew Penman.
The 30-year-old, who scored in the Wembley play-off final victory over Wrexham last May, has missed the whole of the Exiles’ maiden League Two campaign with a groin injury.
And he told the Argus last week that any action for him between now and May 3 would be a ‘bonus’ but now he’s more upbeat about his chances.
“I’m 100 per cent sure that I can play again this season,” said O’Connor.
“I should be joining in full training on Monday and the way I feel I should be able to play in at least three of our games.
“It’s been frustrating because I genuinely think I could have helped the team and contributed towards us getting some more points.
“I think we’re safe now, and we would have taken that before the start of the season, but I think we could have got more points and finished higher than we will.
“We want to finish the season on a high and build towards next season now.”
Manager Justin Edinburgh is more cautious but he too hopes to seen O’Connor back in action shortly.
“He’s continuing his training and his rehabilitation but it’s a difficult one because he’s been out for so long,” said the Exiles boss.
“Do we bring him back for the end of the season or hold him back for pre-season and let him continue his rehab?
“That’s a decision that myself, Aaron and the physio will make probably over the next ten days to see whether or not it’s going to be beneficial to get him back.
“He’s progressing but it’s been a complex injury and it’s been frustrating for him. But I know he’s a strong character and he’ll be back.
“He played a major part in our success last season and he’s not played in the Football League. I know that is something he’s desperate to do and I’m sure that we’ll look to get him back involved before the end of the season if possible.”