Edinburgh happy to have settled squad
6:20am Monday 2nd June 2014 in Sport
NEWPORT County AFC boss Justin Edinburgh is delighted to have retained the core of his squad from last season.
The Exiles released defenders David Pipe and Harry Worley while Tony James retired, with midfielder Ryan Burge and striker Aaron Holloway also departing Rodney Parade, but the remainder of the group has been retained.
Edinburgh performed a late U-turn on Mike Flynn with the midfielder staying on as a player/youth coach but as yet, only striker Chris Zebroski has been confirmed as having signed his new contract.
However, Edinburgh is convinced it is job done in respect to the other players.
“All the players have had their engagement letters and confirmed they’ve accepted them, I don’t envisage any tweets this summer from any of many players, not even Mr Sandell (the left back made headlines last summer by claiming he hadn’t agreed a new contract on social media).
“There will be no ‘what the hell’ tweets, everyone is agreed and will sign on their return, most of the boys are on holiday and I have no concerns there at all.”
Edinburgh is also expecting Byron Anthony to remain a County player next season.
The Exiles are yet to offer him terms as he recovers from a long-term injury.
He sustained a broken leg last August and despite returning sooner than expected, had a setback and missed the final two months of the campaign.
“I’ve spoken with Byron and the medical side of things as well, I sat down with Byron’s surgeon at the end of last week,” he said.
“From our point of view, there is absolutely no rush. I don’t want that to seem as if I’m disregarding Byron, or sweeping him to the side because he’s been fantastic for us, but he has to be fully focused on his recovery.
“The situation is ongoing, he’s doing his rehab and I’m not envisaging any problems, I think we’ll expect to get something done in the next few weeks.”
Edinburgh is feeling positive about his most relaxing summer in some time.
“We’ve got 21 players registered now and I’m delighted with that, it’s the most relaxed I’ve been in my time here with no extension to the season with the FA Trophy or the play-offs,” he said.
“The players I’ve got represent a settled squad that I have great belief in, we can improve on last season and we will look to maybe make one or two more acquisitions, but there is no rush at all.”
However, Edinburgh has confirmed Darcy Blake won’t be joining.
“We spoke with Darcy’s representatives and I don’t think we can make an offer they are looking for and I think that’s looking dead in the water,” he said. “But I believe the signings of Darren Jones and Kevin Feely more than make up for it.”
Comments are closed on this article.