Never miss anything again. Sign up for our RSS news feeds and Newsletters.

Golden Fry Wins It For England While Zinzan Scoops The Bronze

ENGLAND'S athletes returned from the Commonwealth Games in Malaysia this week with a haul of 136 medals, a fantastic effort for one of the smallest nations in the competition.

Thirty-six of them were gold and local light-heavyweight Courtney Fry had one of them around his neck on Friday.

The Wood Green-based fighter, who works in Enfield, was in brilliant form in his final, beating Troy Adams, of Canada, 29-21 to scoop the gold medal.

Fry, who boxes for the Repton club in East London, was watched by his mother, Barbara, and his auntie Margaret.

He said: "I'm really chuffed. I just tried to get in with the jabs and avoid his right hooks and keep my hands up. Jab and move was my plan and it worked a treat."

Fry's performance was one of a long line of successes this year. He has already taken silver at the European championships and it took world champion Lebzyak Alexander, of Russia, to deny him gold in that event in Belarus at the end of May.

Now he is ready for his next big test, which will be the Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia in 2000.

Fry's gold was one of four for the English boxing contingent who returned home in the early hours of this morning.

Chris Bessey, from Aldershot, won gold in the light-middleweights, defeating James Toney, of Ghana, 20-15, John Pearce, from Cleveland, beat Jitender Kumar, of India, 25-11 in the middleweight section and Fry's Repton team mate, Audley Harrison, made it four with a win in the super-heavyweight division. He didn't worry about out-pointing Mike Macaque, his opponent from Mauritius. Instead, he knocked him out in the first round.

Local netballer Joanne Zinzan, of Enfield, was also amongst the medals for England, bringing home a bronze yesterday.

The goal-defence beat South Africa in the third-place playoff by just two points, eventually winning 56-54.

Zinzan and the England girls were six goals ahead at the end of the first quarter but had fallen 28-27 behind by half-time.

They rallied to lead once again in the third quarter by five goals, but South Africa refused to roll over and got within two goals before the final whistle sent a relieved England team to the medal rostrum.

England had won the first four of their matches up to the playoff, beating Barbados 51-29, Jamaica 52-51, Canada 62-31 and Malaysia, the host nation, 63-19.

They missed out on a place in the final after a 66-22 defeat by Australia, the eventual champions, in their final group game and a 30-70 loss against New Zealand in the semi-finals.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000.Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree