Youth, 15, admits causing £500k blaze at Newport bus depot
10:00am Wednesday 16th January 2013 in News
A TEENAGER yesterday admitted causing a fire at Newport bus depot, which caused £503,000 worth of damage and endangered the lives of people in nearby flats.
The youth, 15, appeared at Cardiff Crown Court yesterday, where a charge of committing arson on December 3 and being reckless as to whether life was endangered was put to him.
It had been alleged that the teen had destroyed by fire three buses and a lorry belonging to Newport Transport and been reckless as to whether life was endangered.
Before the charge was put, prosecutor John Probert asked that a building belonging to Newport Transport be added to the items destroyed in the indictment, saying: “This illustrates that people in nearby flats were also endangered.”
The teenager, who cannot be named, admitted the offence and another count of arson that relates to the same night. This is that he destroyed by fire a Peugeot taxi worth £8,000.
He denied a third count of arson that he destroyed by fire a Ford Zetec worth £2,500, also on the night of December 3.
Judge Neil Bidder said the evidence for the third charge is “circumstantial, very thin”, with Mr Probert saying he intends to offer no evidence on this when the boy is sentenced.
Defence barrister Stephen Thomas said the boy, who is in custody, is being seen every day by a psychiatrist, and asked for a six-week adjournment so a full report can be compiled on him.
Judge Neil Bidder granted this and the teenager will now be sentenced on March 8. He said the adjournment will mean as much information as possible being available so an appropriate sentence can be given.