Newport housing scheme on ex-Pirelli site moves step closer
12:20pm Saturday 9th February 2013 in News
A PROPOSED £25million housing development in Newport has taken a step closer to reality following the purchase of land at the Pirelli cables site.
The Seren Group has bought the land, at Telford Street, from the Welsh Government with a plan to build more than 200 homes on the site of the former factory which has been derelict since the factory's closure in 2003.
The Argus reported how outline planning permission for a development at the site had been granted in 2010.
The landmark project is being delivered in partnership with Newport council, Newport Unlimited and the Welsh Government.
The Argus previously reported how the Seren Group had come up with the idea of a 'garden village' concept for the development which will draw on the traditional arts and crafts style of housing with front and back gardens, trees and hedges and parks and play areas. The site will provide a mixture of two, three and four bedroom houses and one and two bedroom apartments.
Cabinet member for regeneration, Cllr John Richards and cabinet member for adult services and housing, Cllr Paul Cockeram said they were delighted to support the development.
Cllr Richards said: "The scheme clearly has the environment and job opportunities at its heart. The creation of over 200 new homes in such a setting is a welcome development for Newport."
The new homes will be marketed through the newly launched serenliving scheme and will be available for outright purchase, shared ownership and through a number of rental options.
Seren development director, Neil Barber said "Where once stood the wartime ordnance factory and more recently the Pirelli cable factory, we plan to develop high quality new homes in a garden village setting which will truly enhance the local area."
A planning application will be submitted to Newport council in the spring, with a view to starting on site in spring 2014. The first homes should be ready from autumn 2014.