A NEWPORT man who is battling brain cancer for the second time is recovering at home after a major operation.

Anthony Hard, an aircraft engineer in the Royal Air Force, was fully conscious when he underwent surgery to remove a tumour at Cardiff's Heath Hospital last Friday, a procedure called awake craniotomy, which means the patient is only given local anaesthetic during the operation.

The father-of-two, who lives with his wife Nahella, nine-year-old daughter Reagan and son Casey14 months, in Coedkernew, underwent an identical procedure to remove a golf ball-sized lump in April 2012.

He will now have six weeks of radiotherapy to try and beat the disease.

Mrs Hard wrote on Facebook that her husband was suffering from expressive dysphasia, difficulty putting words together in a sentence, after the operation and is finding it difficult to reply to messages.

"Other than that, he is doing well and resting," she said. "We should be having an appointment early next week to find out where we go from here."

Corporal Hard was stationed in Afghanistan in 2011 when he first received the diagnosis.

"I was shocked that it was a tumour," Cpl Hard, 33, told the Argus last year. "But you have just got to get on with it, you just deal with it. With my job you just deal with situations as they are put to you."

The family and their friends continues to raise funds towards expensive specialised equipment for their son Casey, who was born with severe disabilities, with a 5km 'fun run' around Newport city centre at 10am on Saturday, starting outside the University.

Around 150 people are expected to take part. Visit www.facebook.com/CaseysCauseFunRunwalk to enter.

NEWPORT martial artists did their own version of the internet phenomenon 'the Harlem Shake' last week while taking part in a sponsored kickathon.

Members of the Newport School of Tae Kwon-do were raising money for Casey's Cause at the Newport Centre last Friday.

His parents established Casey's Cause shortly before Christmas to raise £5,000 to buy a specialised bed for the youngster, who suffers from seizures.

With all participants hitting their targets of over 1,000 kicks in an hour, the final figure for money raised will be announced next week.