Friends of the Newport Transporter Bridge want to keep the iconic structure open all year
FRIENDS of the Newport Transporter Bridge will present a petition to the city council calling for the iconic structure to remain open to tourists throughout the year.
The group want the 240-foot-high bridge, which was completed in 1906, to open at least at weekends, if not every day, after Newport council introduced a seasonal closure arrangement last year to save money on staff costs.
The winter closure, which started at the end of September, will come to an end on March 30, but even then the bridge will only be open five days of the week under the current arrangement, with the bridge closed on a Monday and Tuesday.
Chairman of the management committee, David Hando, said: "We are trying to get the council to have a rethink with regard to next winter," adding that 19 people turned up on a recent Sunday hoping to cross.
Last year the committee wrote to Debbie Wilcox, cabinet member for leisure at Newport council, objecting the seasonal closure.
The letter said: "Our visitors’ book shows that it is visited on a daily basis by local people of all ages, people from all parts of Wales and Britain and from many overseas countries.
"The Friends intend to keep the visitor centre open throughout the year from 10am to 4pm, whether the Bridge is open or not. Then visitors will not have an entirely wasted journey."
They will present the petition on March 15 at 5.30pm.
Anyone still holding a petition form or wishing to add their signature is asked to visit the Visitor Centre at the Transporter Bridge, which is open seven days a week from 10am to 4pm, or call 07802 487042.