ARGUS ARCHIVE: Plan to create Gwent from existing county of Monmouthshire
4:38pm Tuesday 12th March 2013 in News
100 YEARS AGO
The death of Viscount Tredegar, Godfrey Charles Morgan, was announced. Monmouthshire was in mourning. A message from the King to the new Viscount Tredegar expressing sympathy at the death of his representative in Monmouthshire was published in the South Wales Argus. It was later announced that a quiet funeral would take place in Bassaleg.
● A collision off Lundy Island between a cargo steamer and a boat resulted in the sinking of the steamer which had been bound for Algiers. All members of the crew were successfully picked up.
● A police officer was assaulted in front of the crowd following a match between Bristol and Newport RFC at Newport Athletic Grounds.
50 YEARS AGO
● The Local Government Commission for Wales put forward a proposal for the creation of the county of Gwent consisting of the existing county of Monmouthshire.
South of the watershed of the Brecon Beacons, and part of Glamorgan.
● A plan to put Chepstow back on the map as a port was gaining momentum with a Coventry car manufacturer keen to use Chepstow as an export centre for cars being supplied to the Continent.
● Entrants to the Monmouthshire Drama League festival of one-act plays had the extra incentive of a silver challenge cup presented by the South Wales Argus.
● A proposal to make seperation for seven years grounds for divorce was accepted in the House of Commons in Leo Abse’s matrimonial Cause and Reconciliation Bill.
25 YEARS AGO
● It was disclosed that three private developers had their eyes on John Frost Square for major redevelopment.
● A £25 million plan to build a holiday complex was turned down by Brecon Beacons National Park.
The applicant planned to appeal to the Welsh Office.
● Police issued a warning following a series of hoax calls to homes in Malpas and Bettws telling people that they have won money.
● The paper uncovered a sex scandal at Gemini Health Studio after interviewing a 21-year-old who had been interviewed for a masseuse job there.