New calls for Gwent M4 relief road
11:20am Saturday 16th March 2013 in News
THE Assembly's presiding officer has made renewed calls for a new Gwent motorway to take traffic away from the West of Newport.
Rosemary Butler, Labour Newport West AM, said she wants to see the Labour transport minister consider an alternative to the four proposals in last summer's study.
Mrs Butler, who was in favour of the previously scrapped M4 relief road proposals, made her comments before the crash and Thursday's cabinet reshuffle.
The previous transport minister Carl Sargeant had delayed an announcement on the consultation.
Mrs Butler said she hoped the time would be used to "look at an alternative route, to the four already proposed, that will take the traffic away from the densely populated area of inner Newport West.”
She told the Argus that two of the proposals consulted on would affect homes of her constituents.
Another option, for a new road south of Newport, would not deal with future increases in traffic, she claimed, as it is proposed as a dual carriageway.
"I would have thought the route of the proposed dual carriageway could be suitable for a motorway which would take through traffic away from the city," she said.
Former Newport council leader Matthew Evans said he agreed with Mrs Butler and said the Welsh Government need to stop dithering.
"If they had taken a decision in 2004 the M4 relief road would have been completed a long time ago," he said.
A Welsh Government spokeswoman, made ahead of the reshuffle, said: "We are currently giving the many consultation responses careful consideration. An announcement on the way forward will be made later this Spring."
It is not yet known what Edwina Hart, newly installed as transport minister on Thursday, will do on the issue.