Man found guilty of robbing two soldiers in Newport
11:50am Monday 16th September 2013 in News
A 26-year-old man has been found guilty by a jury at Newport Crown Court of robbing two soldiers in the city while they were on leave and drunk.
Marcus Ball, of no fixed abode, had pleaded not guilty to robbing Charles Wakefield of cash and a phone, and David Barr of a wallet and phone near Newport railway station on July 27 last year.
But he was convicted after a trial during which a witness described how he had seen Ball knock out Mr Barr with one punch and knock down Mr Wakefield with another blow.
The court and Judge Rhys Rowlands were told how Mr Barr had travelled to Mr Wakefield's home in Pontypool, where they had consumed the equivalent of nine shots of vodka, before going out in the town and consuming five pints of cider, with shots.
They had then come to Newport and continued to drink shots of vodka, meeting two girls with whom they began drinking.
Mr Wakefield told the court his friend had a screaming argument with Mr Ball, who had arrived and said one of the women was his girlfriend.
Despite this, the five agreed to go to a house party together, and on the way the pair were attacked.
Neither victim knew whether Ball or one of the women had stolen the items, but witness Samuel Docker described seeing Ball rifle through their pockets and then run off.
Mr Wakefield had £12 and a phone taken, and Mr Barr had a phone and a wallet containing £4 taken. The latter also needed stitches in four cuts to his face, and also suffered a chipped tooth.
After the verdict, Ball unleashed a foul-mouthed tirade towards the jury and Judge Rowlands ordered him to be taken from the dock.
He will be sentenced at a date to be fixed.
Comments are closed on this article.