Newport slavery investigation: Search for body continues
1:40pm Sunday 29th September 2013 in News
A dumper truck arrives at Cariad Farm in Peterstone this afternoon as the search for a body continues. (1215664)
THE search for a body suspected to be on a Newport farmhas yet to yield any results almost a week on from the start of a major slavery investigation.
Gwent Police confirmed that a search for a body police suspect may be buried on Cariad Farm in Peterstone will continue.
Residents in St Brides and Peterstone have expressed their shock at the police raids in their communities.
St Brides resident Peter Booth, 69, said: “We’re all worried. I just can’t understand it – it’s not the dark ages anymore.”
Regulars in the Lighthouse Inn in St Brides were discussing the case. One said: “People are speculating. It doesn’t shock me in today’s society. “
A woman in Peterstone said: "When details regarding the man that worked for them broke it was a shock to the community. We felt a sense of guilt."
Cllr Thomas Suller, of Marshfield ward, said: “In this day and age it’s terrible to hear that people could have been subjected to slavery. I think this could be only the tip of the iceberg.”
Since Monday more than 150 police officers and staff have been involved in raids on four locations as part of Operational Imperial.
The investigation sparked after Daniel Simester was found living in a caravan in Peterstone earlier this year. His family had spent an agonising 13 years without him after he went missing on holiday in Porthcawl.
He was located in Peterstone following a tip-off. He was starving, wearing dirty, torn clothes and had teeth missing.
On Monday a Polish man was found on Cariad Farm, and later a 60-year-old British man was found at Oakfields plant nursery in St Brides.
On Thursday Daniel Doran, 65, and David Doran, 41, both of Cariad Farm, off Wentloog Avenue, Peterstone, and Thomas Doran, 36, of Shirenewton Caravan Site, Wentloog Road, Cardiff, appeared in Cwmbran Magistrates Court charged with holding a man captive and enslaving him over more than decade.
The men were alleged to have held Mr Simester against his will, forcing him into slavery between 2000 and 2013.
Comments are closed on this article.