Hundreds of Newport homes protected by flood defence investment
12:47pm Monday 14th October 2013 in News
MORE than 600 homes in Newport will be protected following £7 million of spending on flood defence improvements, the minister for natural resources has announced.
Alun Davies said a an additional £20 million will be spent on flood defence improvements to help protect more than 2,000 Welsh homes and businesses.
This will include £7million on flood defence improvements to protect 627 homes and 72 businesses in Crindau, Newport.
A total of £1million will also be spent on improvements to tidal embankments along the Severn Estuary to reduce the flood risk to parts of the M4 motorway. This will help protect a total of 833 houses and 197 businesses in Portland Ground and Tabbs Gout, Gwent.
The investment will be delivered by Natural Resource Wales.
Other investments made will be £6 million on river management works and improvements in Cardiff, £5million to improve flood defence walls in Gwynedd and £1 million to replace flood defence walls in Swansea,
Commenting on the additional funding which was announced as part of the Welsh Government’s draft budget, the minister said: “Last year was one of the wettest on record and resulted in many homes and businesses in mid and North Wales being badly affected by flooding.
“While we cannot stop or fully prevent flooding, we are doing all we can to manage the risks and reduce the consequences. That is why we have already committed to investing over £180 million in flood and coastal erosion risk management over the life of this Assembly."
“This additional funding will help to protect nearly over 2,000 Welsh homes and businesses that are vulnerable to flood risk. Not only that, but it will also help to create and secure local jobs within the construction industry.”
Emyr Roberts, chief executive of Natural Resources Wales, said the investment would also mean better protection for critical infrastructure such as the emergency services in places like Newport.