Newport restaurant, the Chandlery, closes after 12 days
8:54am Thursday 17th October 2013 in News
AFTER celebrating the return of one of Newport’s most renowned restaurants, The Chandlery has closed after just 12 days of trading.
Just last week, The Argus reported the Newport restaurant had re-opened, under husband and wife team, Philip and Jayne Thomas, who had recently returned home after spending ten years running a restaurant in France.
A spokesperson for the family yesterday confirmed the restaurant was closed and had ceased trading on Sunday. She said: “They’ve had to close the restaurant for unforeseen circumstances. They don’t want to issue a statement at this time, but just want to move forward from it now.”
The restaurant, which had won a clutch of awards during its ten-year history under its previous management, closed down in May 2012.
On October 2, The Chandlery began trading once again, but this time as a French bistro, following its takeover by the Thomas family, from Caerleon.
The couple’s children, daughter Sophie, 27, and their son Sam, 24, were also planning to help out at the restaurant.
Speaking to the Argus last week Mr Thomas, 53, had said: “We are a family business and hopefully we can be very successful. We’ve opened the doors quietly but we feel confident enough to launch it now.”
Comments are closed on this article.