Cwmbran dad-of three helped attacker evade police

South Wales Argus: Cwmbran dad-of three helped attacker evade police Cwmbran dad-of three helped attacker evade police

A CWMBRAN man was cleared of causing grievous bodily harm yesterday, but convicted of helping his old schoolfriend evade arrest after an “appalling” attack.

Charles Coia, 27, of Burton’s Place, Llantarnam, helped his friend of 15 years when Martin Vaughan was on the run from police after assaulting his girlfriend’s estranged husband with a stick or bat.

Jocelyn Jones was left with multiple facial fractures and had to stay in hospital for a week.

In the early hours of October 4 last year, Vaughan drove Coia’s car to Rifle Street, Blaenavon, where he bashed through Mr Jones’ door and repeatedly hit him to the head and face. After escaping down the road he drove back to Coia’s house where he stayed on the sofa overnight.

Phone records show Coia remained at home, but that Vaughan drove the car to and from his address.

After more than three hours of deliberation, a jury of seven women and five men acquitted Coia of two counts of GBH, but convicted him of assisting an offender although the verdict was not unanimous.

Father-of-three Coia, who has no previous convictions and denied all counts, put his head in his hands after hearing the guilty verdict at Newport Crown Court.

Throughout the trial, Coia maintained he did not know Vaughan, 29, would take the car to assault Mr Jones and said he did not know of the assault when Vaughan was staying at his house as he was asleep when Vaughan returned.

He said that although he had been in touch with Vaughan during the two months he was wanted by police, he had not been helping Vaughan and had repeatedly urged his friend to hand himself in.

Texts to and from Coia were shown to the jury from the period Vaughan was on the run. In one text to Vaughan, Coia offered to put fuel in his car. There were other texts discussing buying cars and insurance.

Vaughan surrendered to police two months after he attack, texting Coia: “I’m going to hand myself in tomorrow morning and put all this nonsense to bed.

“I appreciate all your love and support. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart.”

Judge Philip Richards said: “You have been convicted of a serious offence.

“The court is bound to consider custody in your case and indeed that is the likely sentence.”

He adjourned the case for a pre-sentence report to be obtained and bailed Coia until he can be sentenced alongside Vaughan in the week beginning January 6.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:21am Wed 11 Dec 13

ncfcr says...

Such a sad state of affairs when our 'justice' system, views someone helping a friend (which is actually a good quality to have as a person) in the same light as a drug dealer or violent offender.

I can't for the life of me see how something like this should result in custody. No previous offences? Three children? Surely to God some common sense must prevail - a fine or community punishment is fine in this case. Reserve the prison spaces for the real scumbags,

And, no, I don't have a clue who this person is.
Such a sad state of affairs when our 'justice' system, views someone helping a friend (which is actually a good quality to have as a person) in the same light as a drug dealer or violent offender. I can't for the life of me see how something like this should result in custody. No previous offences? Three children? Surely to God some common sense must prevail - a fine or community punishment is fine in this case. Reserve the prison spaces for the real scumbags, And, no, I don't have a clue who this person is. ncfcr

11:10am Wed 11 Dec 13

Lliswerry Man says...

Little bit more than helping a friend ncfcr, people were injured, all because he, the attacker could not get over the fact his partner no longer wanted to be with him and had found someone better. And no just like you I do not know them either.
They "Friend" as you say, by his own admission allowed this to happen, providing a vehicle , hiding place and subsequent discussions about what they should do next.
Thankfully for once the justice system has worked for the "Victims".
Little bit more than helping a friend ncfcr, people were injured, all because he, the attacker could not get over the fact his partner no longer wanted to be with him and had found someone better. And no just like you I do not know them either. They "Friend" as you say, by his own admission allowed this to happen, providing a vehicle , hiding place and subsequent discussions about what they should do next. Thankfully for once the justice system has worked for the "Victims". Lliswerry Man

11:48am Wed 11 Dec 13

Risingsun80 says...

ncfcr, this situation wasn't like helping a friend mow the lawn, it was obstructing justice in assisting an offender evade police prosecution. If you were a victim of an attack would you not want all parties involved to be held accountable for their actions?
ncfcr, this situation wasn't like helping a friend mow the lawn, it was obstructing justice in assisting an offender evade police prosecution. If you were a victim of an attack would you not want all parties involved to be held accountable for their actions? Risingsun80

12:00pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Jeffery123 says...

Martn Vaughn is a bulky boy. I know him for yrs and people knows he's a bully. He probly bullyed this lad into this. Now this lad will go to prison for him. I hope martn gets years as he should of went to prison yrs ago.
Martn Vaughn is a bulky boy. I know him for yrs and people knows he's a bully. He probly bullyed this lad into this. Now this lad will go to prison for him. I hope martn gets years as he should of went to prison yrs ago. Jeffery123

12:19pm Wed 11 Dec 13

ncfcr says...

Lliswerry Man wrote:
Little bit more than helping a friend ncfcr, people were injured, all because he, the attacker could not get over the fact his partner no longer wanted to be with him and had found someone better. And no just like you I do not know them either.
They "Friend" as you say, by his own admission allowed this to happen, providing a vehicle , hiding place and subsequent discussions about what they should do next.
Thankfully for once the justice system has worked for the "Victims".
By the Court's acknowledgement he did not contribute to the violence. I think prison is disproportionate that's all I'm saying. Obviously people need to respect the law, and I'm not disputing that.
[quote][p][bold]Lliswerry Man[/bold] wrote: Little bit more than helping a friend ncfcr, people were injured, all because he, the attacker could not get over the fact his partner no longer wanted to be with him and had found someone better. And no just like you I do not know them either. They "Friend" as you say, by his own admission allowed this to happen, providing a vehicle , hiding place and subsequent discussions about what they should do next. Thankfully for once the justice system has worked for the "Victims".[/p][/quote]By the Court's acknowledgement he did not contribute to the violence. I think prison is disproportionate that's all I'm saying. Obviously people need to respect the law, and I'm not disputing that. ncfcr

12:25pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

"Father-of-three Coia"
Well that would have taken him (let's be generous) 15 minutes of his life, and the size of his belly says he's spent a few months of his life eating and drinking beer, but does he actually DO anything the rest of the time?
"Father-of-three Coia" Well that would have taken him (let's be generous) 15 minutes of his life, and the size of his belly says he's spent a few months of his life eating and drinking beer, but does he actually DO anything the rest of the time? Dai Rear

12:54pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Snow87 says...

Dai Rear wrote:
"Father-of-thre
e Coia"
Well that would have taken him (let's be generous) 15 minutes of his life, and the size of his belly says he's spent a few months of his life eating and drinking beer, but does he actually DO anything the rest of the time?
Don't judge everyone by your standards!!! '15 minutes'
This man and his family have been taken full advantage off! Mr Coia is a hard working family man who offered a so called 'friend' a roof over his head when he had no where else to go!!

It's people like you who speculate and have created their own opinions and thoughts of the situation rather than looking at the true account! Just because his job title isn't mentioned in the article doesn't mean that he is unemployed!! Clearly the journalist is out to print a 'good' story rather than the truth!!

It's great to see that you truly are a great role model to society and actively set out to bully someone via the internet! Here's hoping that your children or future children don't take after their bullying parent!!
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: "Father-of-thre e Coia" Well that would have taken him (let's be generous) 15 minutes of his life, and the size of his belly says he's spent a few months of his life eating and drinking beer, but does he actually DO anything the rest of the time?[/p][/quote]Don't judge everyone by your standards!!! '15 minutes' This man and his family have been taken full advantage off! Mr Coia is a hard working family man who offered a so called 'friend' a roof over his head when he had no where else to go!! It's people like you who speculate and have created their own opinions and thoughts of the situation rather than looking at the true account! Just because his job title isn't mentioned in the article doesn't mean that he is unemployed!! Clearly the journalist is out to print a 'good' story rather than the truth!! It's great to see that you truly are a great role model to society and actively set out to bully someone via the internet! Here's hoping that your children or future children don't take after their bullying parent!! Snow87

3:39pm Wed 11 Dec 13

whatintheworld says...

Snow87 wrote:
Dai Rear wrote: "Father-of-thre e Coia" Well that would have taken him (let's be generous) 15 minutes of his life, and the size of his belly says he's spent a few months of his life eating and drinking beer, but does he actually DO anything the rest of the time?
Don't judge everyone by your standards!!! '15 minutes' This man and his family have been taken full advantage off! Mr Coia is a hard working family man who offered a so called 'friend' a roof over his head when he had no where else to go!! It's people like you who speculate and have created their own opinions and thoughts of the situation rather than looking at the true account! Just because his job title isn't mentioned in the article doesn't mean that he is unemployed!! Clearly the journalist is out to print a 'good' story rather than the truth!! It's great to see that you truly are a great role model to society and actively set out to bully someone via the internet! Here's hoping that your children or future children don't take after their bullying parent!!
hear, hear.
[quote][p][bold]Snow87[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: "Father-of-thre e Coia" Well that would have taken him (let's be generous) 15 minutes of his life, and the size of his belly says he's spent a few months of his life eating and drinking beer, but does he actually DO anything the rest of the time?[/p][/quote]Don't judge everyone by your standards!!! '15 minutes' This man and his family have been taken full advantage off! Mr Coia is a hard working family man who offered a so called 'friend' a roof over his head when he had no where else to go!! It's people like you who speculate and have created their own opinions and thoughts of the situation rather than looking at the true account! Just because his job title isn't mentioned in the article doesn't mean that he is unemployed!! Clearly the journalist is out to print a 'good' story rather than the truth!! It's great to see that you truly are a great role model to society and actively set out to bully someone via the internet! Here's hoping that your children or future children don't take after their bullying parent!![/p][/quote]hear, hear. whatintheworld

5:34pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

Snow87 , so you're his nan. You're right to be proud of the boy and whatintheworld, you're his personal trainer. Sorry, but I don't think you've done much of a job. Still, keep trying to wean him off the SA, won't you?
Snow87 , so you're his nan. You're right to be proud of the boy and whatintheworld, you're his personal trainer. Sorry, but I don't think you've done much of a job. Still, keep trying to wean him off the SA, won't you? Dai Rear

7:03pm Wed 11 Dec 13

VoiceOfDaPort says...

Lliswerry Man wrote:
Little bit more than helping a friend ncfcr, people were injured, all because he, the attacker could not get over the fact his partner no longer wanted to be with him and had found someone better. And no just like you I do not know them either.
They "Friend" as you say, by his own admission allowed this to happen, providing a vehicle , hiding place and subsequent discussions about what they should do next.
Thankfully for once the justice system has worked for the "Victims".
To clarify; At the time of the attack, Vaughan was going out with the women, not the other way round, she had separated from her husband Jocelyn Jones.

As reported by the Argus on 2nd May, Jocelyn Jones tried to kill the family cat, actions which left the teenager at the property "in a state of hysteria" and this was the reason that Vaughan attacked Jones. Jones later pleaded guilty to one count of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Vaughan should certainly have not taken the law into his own hands and should be sentenced accordingly for what the charges he has pleaded guilty to. The same goes for anyone that assisted him in either the crime or for evading capture.

Here is the link to the Argus' May 2nd story http://www.southwale
sargus.co.uk/archive
/2013/05/02/10395365
.Drunk_Blaenavon_man
_tried_to_destroy_ca
t/
[quote][p][bold]Lliswerry Man[/bold] wrote: Little bit more than helping a friend ncfcr, people were injured, all because he, the attacker could not get over the fact his partner no longer wanted to be with him and had found someone better. And no just like you I do not know them either. They "Friend" as you say, by his own admission allowed this to happen, providing a vehicle , hiding place and subsequent discussions about what they should do next. Thankfully for once the justice system has worked for the "Victims".[/p][/quote]To clarify; At the time of the attack, Vaughan was going out with the women, not the other way round, she had separated from her husband Jocelyn Jones. As reported by the Argus on 2nd May, Jocelyn Jones tried to kill the family cat, actions which left the teenager at the property "in a state of hysteria" and this was the reason that Vaughan attacked Jones. Jones later pleaded guilty to one count of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. Vaughan should certainly have not taken the law into his own hands and should be sentenced accordingly for what the charges he has pleaded guilty to. The same goes for anyone that assisted him in either the crime or for evading capture. Here is the link to the Argus' May 2nd story http://www.southwale sargus.co.uk/archive /2013/05/02/10395365 .Drunk_Blaenavon_man _tried_to_destroy_ca t/ VoiceOfDaPort

11:27am Fri 13 Dec 13

george1973 says...

A miscarriage of justice truly shows that this country is out of touch when it comes to the law a devoted hard working family man of 3 did a good deed for a friend who's actions were appalling and shocking and his now going to pay the price for his loyalty of being a good friend
A miscarriage of justice truly shows that this country is out of touch when it comes to the law a devoted hard working family man of 3 did a good deed for a friend who's actions were appalling and shocking and his now going to pay the price for his loyalty of being a good friend george1973

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree