Foodbank opens its fourth Newport branch

A NEW foodbank opened in Newport this week as figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year.

The foodbank network charity, Trussell Trust, launched its fourth distribution centre in Duffryn on Tuesday after its statistics showed foodbank use had soared from 12,377 in 2012 to 32,500 this year in Wales.

The trust has already helped hundreds of people in need since it opened its first centre in Newport this summer.

Trussell Trust charity manager for Wales, Tony Graham, 48, said: “It’s wonderful communities are coming together for their own. With the rising costs of living and stagnant incomes, obviously we expect the situation in the short term to get worse.”

The Trussell Trust distributes the packages through a voucher system. Frontline agencies including social services, probation, drug and alcohol rehabilitation teams, housing associations and the Age Cymru charity can issue the vouchers.

The four Trussell Trust distribution centres are based at St Paul’s and Bishpool Methodist Church, Duffryn Community Centre and the Christchurch Centre in Malpas Road.

Mr Graham added: “Between the first six months of this financial year and the first six months of last year the use of foodbanks has almost trebled. We have already fed 300 people in Newport within a few months of opening.”

As part of a separate scheme, King’s Church, Newport donates around 200 food hampers to poor people at community centres and sheltered housing schemes in the city each week. Workers donate these hampers at Duffryn, Gaer and Maesglas community centres between Tuesday and Thursday.

Call Gaer Community Centre on 01633 784 068.

Comments (55)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:15pm Fri 13 Dec 13

welshmen says...

Food banks, rough sleepers on the rise, 31,000 cold related deaths alone last year in this Country, and this stupid unbalanced so called Government not fit for purpose gave £12 Billion to foreigners, then it pays all living expenses for all asylum seeking scroungers who come thousands of miles across neutral Countries from all parts of the world for a FREE life in the UK because the BENEFITS are better than anywhere else, or their free-loading families are already here...31,000 British people dead just because they were cold, the poor get poorer and you know the rest....
Food banks, rough sleepers on the rise, 31,000 cold related deaths alone last year in this Country, and this stupid unbalanced so called Government not fit for purpose gave £12 Billion to foreigners, then it pays all living expenses for all asylum seeking scroungers who come thousands of miles across neutral Countries from all parts of the world for a FREE life in the UK because the BENEFITS are better than anywhere else, or their free-loading families are already here...31,000 British people dead just because they were cold, the poor get poorer and you know the rest.... welshmen

8:07pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Katie Re-Registered says...

The presence of such a grinding level of poverty is particularly shocking when you consider that Britain is ranked as the sixth richest country in the world. Perhaps it ranks number one as the most iniquitous then...?
The presence of such a grinding level of poverty is particularly shocking when you consider that Britain is ranked as the sixth richest country in the world. Perhaps it ranks number one as the most iniquitous then...? Katie Re-Registered

9:03pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Captain Tripps says...

And next month we have an influx of Romanians and Bulgarians . Just look at the trouble they are already causing in London with aggressive begging , thieving , pickpocketing etc . God help us .
And next month we have an influx of Romanians and Bulgarians . Just look at the trouble they are already causing in London with aggressive begging , thieving , pickpocketing etc . God help us . Captain Tripps

9:23am Sat 14 Dec 13

ollie72 says...

I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me).

One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give.

Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew!

We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about.

Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...
I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me). One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give. Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew! We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about. Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end... ollie72

1:41pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Bobevans says...

ollie72 wrote:
I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me).

One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give.

Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew!

We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about.

Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...
If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them
[quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me). One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give. Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew! We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about. Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...[/p][/quote]If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them Bobevans

2:06pm Sat 14 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Bobevans wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me).

One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give.

Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew!

We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about.

Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...
If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them
There are actually a lot of checks that have to be made before you can use a food bank. You have to account for every penny you have spent to show why you have no money left for food. You can also only be referred by the DHS o a social worker. You can't just go to a foodbank and collect free food. It doesn't work like that.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me). One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give. Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew! We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about. Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...[/p][/quote]If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them[/p][/quote]There are actually a lot of checks that have to be made before you can use a food bank. You have to account for every penny you have spent to show why you have no money left for food. You can also only be referred by the DHS o a social worker. You can't just go to a foodbank and collect free food. It doesn't work like that. endthelies

3:15pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

Dear End
I think point made about the immorality of Man v Food competitions.
Dear End I think point made about the immorality of Man v Food competitions. Woodgnome

8:36pm Sat 14 Dec 13

endthelies says...

As I said before. The government are to blame for hunger and poverty, not the fundraisers
As I said before. The government are to blame for hunger and poverty, not the fundraisers endthelies

8:51am Sun 15 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. "
I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.
" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious. Dai Rear

9:33am Sun 15 Dec 13

ollie72 says...

Dai Rear wrote:
" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.
If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge.

Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether.

Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: " figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.[/p][/quote]If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge. Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether. Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point? ollie72

9:34am Sun 15 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read.
To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.
End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read. To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that. Woodgnome

10:28am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Woodgnome wrote:
End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read.
To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.
The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read. To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.[/p][/quote]The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it. endthelies

10:33am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Dai Rear wrote:
" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. "
I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.
Of course other charities refer folk to foodbanks- because they have NO FOOD. Now why do they have no food. Because prices are to high and the money coming in not enough to live on. And there you have it. blooming obvious.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: " figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.[/p][/quote]Of course other charities refer folk to foodbanks- because they have NO FOOD. Now why do they have no food. Because prices are to high and the money coming in not enough to live on. And there you have it. blooming obvious. endthelies

10:39am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

You can be referred to a food bank by caring professionals. Doctors, social workers etc, My point was, you can't just walk into a food bank and get free food. But hey, I'm used to people picking holes in my statements but not actually having a legitimate and proven answer to its content.
You can be referred to a food bank by caring professionals. Doctors, social workers etc, My point was, you can't just walk into a food bank and get free food. But hey, I'm used to people picking holes in my statements but not actually having a legitimate and proven answer to its content. endthelies

10:51am Sun 15 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

End, no-one has to "debate" or "prove" anything on here. You seem to have the misconception that the comments section is a debating forum - it isn't, it's as it's name suggests for "Comment". If you insist on "proof" then perhaps you need to start providing it yourself.
End, no-one has to "debate" or "prove" anything on here. You seem to have the misconception that the comments section is a debating forum - it isn't, it's as it's name suggests for "Comment". If you insist on "proof" then perhaps you need to start providing it yourself. Woodgnome

10:52am Sun 15 Dec 13

Bobevans says...

endthelies wrote:
Bobevans wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me).

One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give.

Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew!

We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about.

Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...
If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them
There are actually a lot of checks that have to be made before you can use a food bank. You have to account for every penny you have spent to show why you have no money left for food. You can also only be referred by the DHS o a social worker. You can't just go to a foodbank and collect free food. It doesn't work like that.
Those are no real checks though
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me). One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give. Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew! We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about. Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...[/p][/quote]If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them[/p][/quote]There are actually a lot of checks that have to be made before you can use a food bank. You have to account for every penny you have spent to show why you have no money left for food. You can also only be referred by the DHS o a social worker. You can't just go to a foodbank and collect free food. It doesn't work like that.[/p][/quote]Those are no real checks though Bobevans

10:54am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Woodgnome wrote:
End, no-one has to "debate" or "prove" anything on here. You seem to have the misconception that the comments section is a debating forum - it isn't, it's as it's name suggests for "Comment". If you insist on "proof" then perhaps you need to start providing it yourself.
I always do Woodgnome. Always. I think you've just shown that you can't though so hey ho.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: End, no-one has to "debate" or "prove" anything on here. You seem to have the misconception that the comments section is a debating forum - it isn't, it's as it's name suggests for "Comment". If you insist on "proof" then perhaps you need to start providing it yourself.[/p][/quote]I always do Woodgnome. Always. I think you've just shown that you can't though so hey ho. endthelies

10:56am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Bobevans wrote:
endthelies wrote:
Bobevans wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me).

One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give.

Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew!

We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about.

Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...
If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them
There are actually a lot of checks that have to be made before you can use a food bank. You have to account for every penny you have spent to show why you have no money left for food. You can also only be referred by the DHS o a social worker. You can't just go to a foodbank and collect free food. It doesn't work like that.
Those are no real checks though
Oh my gosh. Did you read my explanation at all.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: I have some issues with these food banks (and i contribute on a weekly basis before anyone shouts at me). One is that a lot of the "needy" seem to have put themselves there. Drug and alcohol rehab? Not sure that they should be getting handouts when their poverty is self inflicted. Those in real need, those who are struggling to get by - and have done all they could to get by - are the ones who deserve all the help we can give. Second is that the items I am asked to contribute seem to include a lot of instant stuff and processed food (tinned bolognese, instant mash etc). My mother raised my brother and I alone, and managed the budget by cooking from scratch - we had stew with the cheapest cuts of meat, and used leftovers to make new meals. Even stale bread was used to make a pudding. Even though I can afford better now, I still use neck of lamb when I make a stew! We also hear people saying that they have to make the choice between heating the house and eating. Well I've been there, and it's simple - you eat, and wear more clothes, or stay in bed if it's too cold. I lived in a house with no central heating, so that wasn't a choice we had to worry about. Perhaps a lot of people should be taught how to prioritise their budget, how to cook, and how to shop for what they need. I can still remember being dragged up and down Newport town centre by my mother, as carrots were a penny a pound cheaper at the other end...[/p][/quote]If you offer Free food then you will get a lot of demand. There are no real checks on who uses them[/p][/quote]There are actually a lot of checks that have to be made before you can use a food bank. You have to account for every penny you have spent to show why you have no money left for food. You can also only be referred by the DHS o a social worker. You can't just go to a foodbank and collect free food. It doesn't work like that.[/p][/quote]Those are no real checks though[/p][/quote]Oh my gosh. Did you read my explanation at all. endthelies

10:57am Sun 15 Dec 13

Bobevans says...

endthelies wrote:
You can be referred to a food bank by caring professionals. Doctors, social workers etc, My point was, you can't just walk into a food bank and get free food. But hey, I'm used to people picking holes in my statements but not actually having a legitimate and proven answer to its content.
Doctors and social workers will have no real idea of the persons ability to pay for food
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: You can be referred to a food bank by caring professionals. Doctors, social workers etc, My point was, you can't just walk into a food bank and get free food. But hey, I'm used to people picking holes in my statements but not actually having a legitimate and proven answer to its content.[/p][/quote]Doctors and social workers will have no real idea of the persons ability to pay for food Bobevans

10:58am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

P.s. If I don't have to provide proof on here, then why am I asked to do so by the tory supporters (and when asked I always provide it) and then its ignored anyway.
P.s. If I don't have to provide proof on here, then why am I asked to do so by the tory supporters (and when asked I always provide it) and then its ignored anyway. endthelies

10:59am Sun 15 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

Oh dear. More trite, meaningless clap trap of the "my teddy's bigger" variety,End.
OK you've made several sweeping statements on here - prove them with evidence. Your "opinion isn't evidence of anything.
Oh dear. More trite, meaningless clap trap of the "my teddy's bigger" variety,End. OK you've made several sweeping statements on here - prove them with evidence. Your "opinion isn't evidence of anything. Woodgnome

10:59am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Bobevans wrote:
endthelies wrote:
You can be referred to a food bank by caring professionals. Doctors, social workers etc, My point was, you can't just walk into a food bank and get free food. But hey, I'm used to people picking holes in my statements but not actually having a legitimate and proven answer to its content.
Doctors and social workers will have no real idea of the persons ability to pay for food
I think you have a very low opinion of our caring professions the.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: You can be referred to a food bank by caring professionals. Doctors, social workers etc, My point was, you can't just walk into a food bank and get free food. But hey, I'm used to people picking holes in my statements but not actually having a legitimate and proven answer to its content.[/p][/quote]Doctors and social workers will have no real idea of the persons ability to pay for food[/p][/quote]I think you have a very low opinion of our caring professions the. endthelies

11:03am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Woodgnome wrote:
Oh dear. More trite, meaningless clap trap of the "my teddy's bigger" variety,End.
OK you've made several sweeping statements on here - prove them with evidence. Your "opinion isn't evidence of anything.
What would you like me to provide you with woodgnome.
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/business-24536
817
http://www.trussellt
rust.org/how-it-work
s

there's two for you explaining why there are so many food banks now, and how you can be referred. Anything else. Its a pity you wouldn't look these things up yourself but I'm more than happy to oblige.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: Oh dear. More trite, meaningless clap trap of the "my teddy's bigger" variety,End. OK you've made several sweeping statements on here - prove them with evidence. Your "opinion isn't evidence of anything.[/p][/quote]What would you like me to provide you with woodgnome. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/business-24536 817 http://www.trussellt rust.org/how-it-work s there's two for you explaining why there are so many food banks now, and how you can be referred. Anything else. Its a pity you wouldn't look these things up yourself but I'm more than happy to oblige. endthelies

11:10am Sun 15 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

I can't open either of those links end. But you are confusing me with someone else. I'm not challenging how food banks work but "it's the governments fault". That's a stock phrase that has no depth. By the way articles in the press aren't usually evidence, they are just correspondent's opinions but I will not say more until I can actually read your links.
I can't open either of those links end. But you are confusing me with someone else. I'm not challenging how food banks work but "it's the governments fault". That's a stock phrase that has no depth. By the way articles in the press aren't usually evidence, they are just correspondent's opinions but I will not say more until I can actually read your links. Woodgnome

11:12am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

You just type them in woodgnome.
You just type them in woodgnome. endthelies

11:14am Sun 15 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

says "page can't be found"
says "page can't be found" Woodgnome

11:16am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine
So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine endthelies

11:17am Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Woodgnome wrote:
says "page can't be found"
Well I found them.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: says "page can't be found"[/p][/quote]Well I found them. endthelies

12:46pm Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

endthelies wrote:
So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine
Hello Woodgnome. Is there a counter argument to mine in my saying the government is responsible for the foodbank crises . I really am interested to hear what you think the reasons are.
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine[/p][/quote]Hello Woodgnome. Is there a counter argument to mine in my saying the government is responsible for the foodbank crises . I really am interested to hear what you think the reasons are. endthelies

1:07pm Sun 15 Dec 13

ollie72 says...

endthelies wrote:
So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine
Endthelies,

While I don't disagree with your general point regarding the social group faring worst by the Austerity package, can you really say that anyone is poorer now than in the early 80's during the strike, or in the 40's and 50's when people were getting by on rationed food while we paid off the huge costs of war?

People will always struggle to live within their means, and it's great that there is a safety net there, but I don't believe that the amount of people that are using the resource actually need it.
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine[/p][/quote]Endthelies, While I don't disagree with your general point regarding the social group faring worst by the Austerity package, can you really say that anyone is poorer now than in the early 80's during the strike, or in the 40's and 50's when people were getting by on rationed food while we paid off the huge costs of war? People will always struggle to live within their means, and it's great that there is a safety net there, but I don't believe that the amount of people that are using the resource actually need it. ollie72

1:48pm Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

I would have to say that my Dad died in 1972. There were very little benefits for my Mam and the five children she was left to raise on her own. Food was scarce, heating the home nigh on impossible on times. Flooded house in the winter because of burst pipes. I just think that, 3 decades on, things are going back the way they were and I don't think its right. People shouldn't have to be going to foodbanks. We are not a third world country. We can afford to give our money overseas but cannot afford to support our own. In the 40's and 50's, infant and adult mortality was very high. Would we want that back. Or people living in houses that were uninhabitable because they cannot afford anything else. children being let in orphanages and care homes because their parents could not afford to feed them. We learn from the past *(supposedly) in the hope the future will be better.
I would have to say that my Dad died in 1972. There were very little benefits for my Mam and the five children she was left to raise on her own. Food was scarce, heating the home nigh on impossible on times. Flooded house in the winter because of burst pipes. I just think that, 3 decades on, things are going back the way they were and I don't think its right. People shouldn't have to be going to foodbanks. We are not a third world country. We can afford to give our money overseas but cannot afford to support our own. In the 40's and 50's, infant and adult mortality was very high. Would we want that back. Or people living in houses that were uninhabitable because they cannot afford anything else. children being let in orphanages and care homes because their parents could not afford to feed them. We learn from the past *(supposedly) in the hope the future will be better. endthelies

3:54pm Sun 15 Dec 13

ollie72 says...

endthelies wrote:
I would have to say that my Dad died in 1972. There were very little benefits for my Mam and the five children she was left to raise on her own. Food was scarce, heating the home nigh on impossible on times. Flooded house in the winter because of burst pipes. I just think that, 3 decades on, things are going back the way they were and I don't think its right. People shouldn't have to be going to foodbanks. We are not a third world country. We can afford to give our money overseas but cannot afford to support our own. In the 40's and 50's, infant and adult mortality was very high. Would we want that back. Or people living in houses that were uninhabitable because they cannot afford anything else. children being let in orphanages and care homes because their parents could not afford to feed them. We learn from the past *(supposedly) in the hope the future will be better.
You're right - that's the aim.

But as I said earlier, a lot of people who are claiming to be too poor to eat would do a lot better if they managed their budget better. People who buy a cheap chicken at tesco, eat the breast and throw the rest away, or buy processed rubbish from places like Aldi.

None of this is meant to defend the cuts - they were never going to solve the debt crisis, they were just a way for the government to deflect public attention on to a minority group that have no power and no voice (in fact, exactly what the last conservative government did when talking about single mothers).

One last thing - If people are travelling across Europe to work for minimum wage here, then there must be a way to survive on it.

By the way, the frozen/burst pipes thing - pretty grim wasn't it? The winter of '81 is the one that sticks in my mind - I was 9, and can remember going in to school to use the facilities as ours spent 3 weeks frozen solid...
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: I would have to say that my Dad died in 1972. There were very little benefits for my Mam and the five children she was left to raise on her own. Food was scarce, heating the home nigh on impossible on times. Flooded house in the winter because of burst pipes. I just think that, 3 decades on, things are going back the way they were and I don't think its right. People shouldn't have to be going to foodbanks. We are not a third world country. We can afford to give our money overseas but cannot afford to support our own. In the 40's and 50's, infant and adult mortality was very high. Would we want that back. Or people living in houses that were uninhabitable because they cannot afford anything else. children being let in orphanages and care homes because their parents could not afford to feed them. We learn from the past *(supposedly) in the hope the future will be better.[/p][/quote]You're right - that's the aim. But as I said earlier, a lot of people who are claiming to be too poor to eat would do a lot better if they managed their budget better. People who buy a cheap chicken at tesco, eat the breast and throw the rest away, or buy processed rubbish from places like Aldi. None of this is meant to defend the cuts - they were never going to solve the debt crisis, they were just a way for the government to deflect public attention on to a minority group that have no power and no voice (in fact, exactly what the last conservative government did when talking about single mothers). One last thing - If people are travelling across Europe to work for minimum wage here, then there must be a way to survive on it. By the way, the frozen/burst pipes thing - pretty grim wasn't it? The winter of '81 is the one that sticks in my mind - I was 9, and can remember going in to school to use the facilities as ours spent 3 weeks frozen solid... ollie72

4:07pm Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

ollie72 wrote:
endthelies wrote:
I would have to say that my Dad died in 1972. There were very little benefits for my Mam and the five children she was left to raise on her own. Food was scarce, heating the home nigh on impossible on times. Flooded house in the winter because of burst pipes. I just think that, 3 decades on, things are going back the way they were and I don't think its right. People shouldn't have to be going to foodbanks. We are not a third world country. We can afford to give our money overseas but cannot afford to support our own. In the 40's and 50's, infant and adult mortality was very high. Would we want that back. Or people living in houses that were uninhabitable because they cannot afford anything else. children being let in orphanages and care homes because their parents could not afford to feed them. We learn from the past *(supposedly) in the hope the future will be better.
You're right - that's the aim.

But as I said earlier, a lot of people who are claiming to be too poor to eat would do a lot better if they managed their budget better. People who buy a cheap chicken at tesco, eat the breast and throw the rest away, or buy processed rubbish from places like Aldi.

None of this is meant to defend the cuts - they were never going to solve the debt crisis, they were just a way for the government to deflect public attention on to a minority group that have no power and no voice (in fact, exactly what the last conservative government did when talking about single mothers).

One last thing - If people are travelling across Europe to work for minimum wage here, then there must be a way to survive on it.

By the way, the frozen/burst pipes thing - pretty grim wasn't it? The winter of '81 is the one that sticks in my mind - I was 9, and can remember going in to school to use the facilities as ours spent 3 weeks frozen solid...
I remember 81 to. I was working in a local café and we couldn't get in!! When we finally managed to dig it out open up, there was no milk etc. When we had a delivery, there were queues all around the corner. :)
[quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: I would have to say that my Dad died in 1972. There were very little benefits for my Mam and the five children she was left to raise on her own. Food was scarce, heating the home nigh on impossible on times. Flooded house in the winter because of burst pipes. I just think that, 3 decades on, things are going back the way they were and I don't think its right. People shouldn't have to be going to foodbanks. We are not a third world country. We can afford to give our money overseas but cannot afford to support our own. In the 40's and 50's, infant and adult mortality was very high. Would we want that back. Or people living in houses that were uninhabitable because they cannot afford anything else. children being let in orphanages and care homes because their parents could not afford to feed them. We learn from the past *(supposedly) in the hope the future will be better.[/p][/quote]You're right - that's the aim. But as I said earlier, a lot of people who are claiming to be too poor to eat would do a lot better if they managed their budget better. People who buy a cheap chicken at tesco, eat the breast and throw the rest away, or buy processed rubbish from places like Aldi. None of this is meant to defend the cuts - they were never going to solve the debt crisis, they were just a way for the government to deflect public attention on to a minority group that have no power and no voice (in fact, exactly what the last conservative government did when talking about single mothers). One last thing - If people are travelling across Europe to work for minimum wage here, then there must be a way to survive on it. By the way, the frozen/burst pipes thing - pretty grim wasn't it? The winter of '81 is the one that sticks in my mind - I was 9, and can remember going in to school to use the facilities as ours spent 3 weeks frozen solid...[/p][/quote]I remember 81 to. I was working in a local café and we couldn't get in!! When we finally managed to dig it out open up, there was no milk etc. When we had a delivery, there were queues all around the corner. :) endthelies

7:27pm Sun 15 Dec 13

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Woodgnome wrote:
I can't open either of those links end. But you are confusing me with someone else. I'm not challenging how food banks work but "it's the governments fault". That's a stock phrase that has no depth. By the way articles in the press aren't usually evidence, they are just correspondent's opinions but I will not say more until I can actually read your links.
Actually, it's currently government policy, (check with the cabinet office if you doubt) to divest itself of responsibility for social welfare, and promote instead provision of services through charities.

Which would be fine as far as I'm concerned, if it wasn't for one thing... I'm seeing no corresponding reduction in my taxes.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: I can't open either of those links end. But you are confusing me with someone else. I'm not challenging how food banks work but "it's the governments fault". That's a stock phrase that has no depth. By the way articles in the press aren't usually evidence, they are just correspondent's opinions but I will not say more until I can actually read your links.[/p][/quote]Actually, it's currently government policy, (check with the cabinet office if you doubt) to divest itself of responsibility for social welfare, and promote instead provision of services through charities. Which would be fine as far as I'm concerned, if it wasn't for one thing... I'm seeing no corresponding reduction in my taxes. GardenVarietyMushroom

7:30pm Sun 15 Dec 13

Woodgnome says...

endthelies wrote:
So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine
Your THEORY is a perfectly respectable theory. However, we could find 10 more counter theories including the ones in the BBC article itself (I found the article by googling food banks).
Theories are not facts however.
I do agree that the rise in food banks needs urgent investigation.
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine[/p][/quote]Your THEORY is a perfectly respectable theory. However, we could find 10 more counter theories including the ones in the BBC article itself (I found the article by googling food banks). Theories are not facts however. I do agree that the rise in food banks needs urgent investigation. Woodgnome

7:59pm Sun 15 Dec 13

endthelies says...

Woodgnome wrote:
endthelies wrote:
So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine
Your THEORY is a perfectly respectable theory. However, we could find 10 more counter theories including the ones in the BBC article itself (I found the article by googling food banks).
Theories are not facts however.
I do agree that the rise in food banks needs urgent investigation.
The only counter evidence I have read is the government denying that the rising need for food banks is due to their austerity measures. They just say its because there are ' more foodbanks', therefore, more people use them Yeah right! The rise in foodbanks does need investigating and the reasons why they are needed should be properly documented and researched. I won't hold my breath on Cameron sanctioning such investigation though because the truth hurts.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: So tell me then woodgnome. Why do you think foodbanks have risen three fold since this government have been in power. I'm interested to hear your theory as apposed to mine[/p][/quote]Your THEORY is a perfectly respectable theory. However, we could find 10 more counter theories including the ones in the BBC article itself (I found the article by googling food banks). Theories are not facts however. I do agree that the rise in food banks needs urgent investigation.[/p][/quote]The only counter evidence I have read is the government denying that the rising need for food banks is due to their austerity measures. They just say its because there are ' more foodbanks', therefore, more people use them Yeah right! The rise in foodbanks does need investigating and the reasons why they are needed should be properly documented and researched. I won't hold my breath on Cameron sanctioning such investigation though because the truth hurts. endthelies

11:38am Mon 16 Dec 13

_Bryan_ says...

Surely the biggest cause of apparent poverty in this country isn't the level or availability of welfare benefits, but the low rates of pay many jobs provide.

It cannot be right that a person can claim more in benefits than they would receive from a full time job. The answer to this isn't to reduce benefits still further, but to instead raise wages and reduce taxation on the low paid.

The threshold for the minimum rate of income tax should be set such that a person working a 37.5 hour week on the minimum wage pays no tax. This would take many people out of the benefits system entirely, due to the reduction in Housing Benefit and Tax Credit claims.
Surely the biggest cause of apparent poverty in this country isn't the level or availability of welfare benefits, but the low rates of pay many jobs provide. It cannot be right that a person can claim more in benefits than they would receive from a full time job. The answer to this isn't to reduce benefits still further, but to instead raise wages and reduce taxation on the low paid. The threshold for the minimum rate of income tax should be set such that a person working a 37.5 hour week on the minimum wage pays no tax. This would take many people out of the benefits system entirely, due to the reduction in Housing Benefit and Tax Credit claims. _Bryan_

1:19pm Mon 16 Dec 13

endthelies says...

I think the you're right on the low pay issue Bryan, definitely. But Cameron has hit them with the bedroom tax as well as rising prices and less tax credits. he's hindering rather than helping those on low wages. There are also a lack of full time positions in a lot of areas. As for benefits, if you are a single person, you have to live on £59 a week. I don't think that's extravagant at all. I know if you have children then benefits increase and I do understand what you're saying but I think there are people on benefits who need more support, but not all.
I think the you're right on the low pay issue Bryan, definitely. But Cameron has hit them with the bedroom tax as well as rising prices and less tax credits. he's hindering rather than helping those on low wages. There are also a lack of full time positions in a lot of areas. As for benefits, if you are a single person, you have to live on £59 a week. I don't think that's extravagant at all. I know if you have children then benefits increase and I do understand what you're saying but I think there are people on benefits who need more support, but not all. endthelies

2:32pm Mon 16 Dec 13

sooty001 says...

We will soon have more food banks than Tesco,s.
We will soon have more food banks than Tesco,s. sooty001

3:51pm Mon 16 Dec 13

BassalegCountyFan says...

endthelies wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read.
To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.
The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.
100% agreed endthelies.

It's a shocking indictment of this tory government that the number of people using foodbanks has tripled in the past year.

I'm confident that the British people will boot this lot out in 2015, although it's frightening that we have to endure two more years before we get the chance.
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read. To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.[/p][/quote]The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.[/p][/quote]100% agreed endthelies. It's a shocking indictment of this tory government that the number of people using foodbanks has tripled in the past year. I'm confident that the British people will boot this lot out in 2015, although it's frightening that we have to endure two more years before we get the chance. BassalegCountyFan

7:16pm Mon 16 Dec 13

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about. GardenVarietyMushroom

7:37pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Mervyn James says...

BassalegCountyFan wrote:
endthelies wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read.
To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.
The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.
100% agreed endthelies.

It's a shocking indictment of this tory government that the number of people using foodbanks has tripled in the past year.

I'm confident that the British people will boot this lot out in 2015, although it's frightening that we have to endure two more years before we get the chance.
It's civilisation according to the tories, just not as we know it. OK having a concience costs us money and no profit is in it, so ? Labour has mostly signed up to tory cuts already, they willjust keepthe cuts coming and blame the tories if they get in. The only popualr vote is on pulling up the drawbridge and abandoning europe to its own stupidity. The party that does that willget a landlside victory....
[quote][p][bold]BassalegCountyFan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read. To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.[/p][/quote]The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.[/p][/quote]100% agreed endthelies. It's a shocking indictment of this tory government that the number of people using foodbanks has tripled in the past year. I'm confident that the British people will boot this lot out in 2015, although it's frightening that we have to endure two more years before we get the chance.[/p][/quote]It's civilisation according to the tories, just not as we know it. OK having a concience costs us money and no profit is in it, so ? Labour has mostly signed up to tory cuts already, they willjust keepthe cuts coming and blame the tories if they get in. The only popualr vote is on pulling up the drawbridge and abandoning europe to its own stupidity. The party that does that willget a landlside victory.... Mervyn James

7:53pm Mon 16 Dec 13

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Mervyn James wrote:
BassalegCountyFan wrote:
endthelies wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read.
To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.
The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.
100% agreed endthelies.

It's a shocking indictment of this tory government that the number of people using foodbanks has tripled in the past year.

I'm confident that the British people will boot this lot out in 2015, although it's frightening that we have to endure two more years before we get the chance.
It's civilisation according to the tories, just not as we know it. OK having a concience costs us money and no profit is in it, so ? Labour has mostly signed up to tory cuts already, they willjust keepthe cuts coming and blame the tories if they get in. The only popualr vote is on pulling up the drawbridge and abandoning europe to its own stupidity. The party that does that willget a landlside victory....
Yeah, 'cos shutting yourself off from the outside world has worked wonders for North Korea.
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]BassalegCountyFan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: End, no-one "blames" fund raisers, even man v food fundraisers - where does that concept come from? Certainly not from the commentators comments I have read. To say "the government" are to blame - is to fail to understand that it's far more complicated than that.[/p][/quote]The government are to blame for bringing in their austerity measures with their arrow firmly pointed at the poorest. there's no doubt about it.[/p][/quote]100% agreed endthelies. It's a shocking indictment of this tory government that the number of people using foodbanks has tripled in the past year. I'm confident that the British people will boot this lot out in 2015, although it's frightening that we have to endure two more years before we get the chance.[/p][/quote]It's civilisation according to the tories, just not as we know it. OK having a concience costs us money and no profit is in it, so ? Labour has mostly signed up to tory cuts already, they willjust keepthe cuts coming and blame the tories if they get in. The only popualr vote is on pulling up the drawbridge and abandoning europe to its own stupidity. The party that does that willget a landlside victory....[/p][/quote]Yeah, 'cos shutting yourself off from the outside world has worked wonders for North Korea. GardenVarietyMushroom

9:16am Tue 17 Dec 13

busymomma says...

As someone that works in the community in Newport, let me just point out a couple of things. The majority of people that rely on food banks only go once, are working or have just lost their job. If you lose your job, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can claim...people can't afford to have an emergency fund because they are literally left with nothing at the end of the month.
People that have been on long term benefits have had no real change in their income so don't need food banks as much.
I do also agree that more should be done to help people learn to cook...the amount of people I come into contact with at work that either ring a takeway or use microwave meals is astounding!! There is a whole generation being raised on chicken nuggets and it horrifies me. I work a 10 hour day and then come home and cook for my family.
As someone that works in the community in Newport, let me just point out a couple of things. The majority of people that rely on food banks only go once, are working or have just lost their job. If you lose your job, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can claim...people can't afford to have an emergency fund because they are literally left with nothing at the end of the month. People that have been on long term benefits have had no real change in their income so don't need food banks as much. I do also agree that more should be done to help people learn to cook...the amount of people I come into contact with at work that either ring a takeway or use microwave meals is astounding!! There is a whole generation being raised on chicken nuggets and it horrifies me. I work a 10 hour day and then come home and cook for my family. busymomma

1:39pm Tue 17 Dec 13

ollie72 says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible!
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.[/p][/quote]Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible! ollie72

3:32pm Tue 17 Dec 13

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

ollie72 wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo

m
wrote:
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible!
Well, technically speaking, we don't live in a democracy - we live in a constitutional monarchy - but I get your point.

Actually though, I came across a website the other day about a party that will be running in the next general election, and who wish to turn GB into a direct democratic state. Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.

Think I might break the habit of a lifetime and toss them my vote in 2015
[quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.[/p][/quote]Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible![/p][/quote]Well, technically speaking, we don't live in a democracy - we live in a constitutional monarchy - but I get your point. Actually though, I came across a website the other day about a party that will be running in the next general election, and who wish to turn GB into a direct democratic state. Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people. Think I might break the habit of a lifetime and toss them my vote in 2015 GardenVarietyMushroom

8:19pm Tue 17 Dec 13

Mervyn James says...

Democracy never caught on really..... No country could afford to allow it. You'll be advocating free speech next lol...
Democracy never caught on really..... No country could afford to allow it. You'll be advocating free speech next lol... Mervyn James

1:27pm Wed 18 Dec 13

DavidMclean says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Fair point re: unelectable. The Tories haven't won a General Election election in 23 years.

But as for alternatives, is that simply a soundbyte reaction, or have you actually bothered to check alternatives. 'Don't bear thinking about' usually translates as 'I assume they aren't worth checking, but haven't actually made much of an effort myself.'
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.[/p][/quote]Fair point re: unelectable. The Tories haven't won a General Election election in 23 years. But as for alternatives, is that simply a soundbyte reaction, or have you actually bothered to check alternatives. 'Don't bear thinking about' usually translates as 'I assume they aren't worth checking, but haven't actually made much of an effort myself.' DavidMclean

4:10pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Dai Rear says...

ollie72 wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.
If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge.

Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether.

Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?
No, that's what they said to me, although they COULD have been fibbing. But as I was actually collecting for food banks on behalf of the voluntary organisation of which I'm a member I suspect they weren't. Oh, and by virtue of my collecting (and the people of my home town were very generous) yet more people would have become aware of food banks. Quod erat demonstrandum.
[quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: " figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.[/p][/quote]If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge. Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether. Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?[/p][/quote]No, that's what they said to me, although they COULD have been fibbing. But as I was actually collecting for food banks on behalf of the voluntary organisation of which I'm a member I suspect they weren't. Oh, and by virtue of my collecting (and the people of my home town were very generous) yet more people would have become aware of food banks. Quod erat demonstrandum. Dai Rear

6:40pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Llanmartinangel says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo


m
wrote:
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible!
Well, technically speaking, we don't live in a democracy - we live in a constitutional monarchy - but I get your point.

Actually though, I came across a website the other day about a party that will be running in the next general election, and who wish to turn GB into a direct democratic state. Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.

Think I might break the habit of a lifetime and toss them my vote in 2015
'Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.'

You mean the people might not vote for them or anyone else who happens to be invisible? Absolutely hilarious post.
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.[/p][/quote]Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible![/p][/quote]Well, technically speaking, we don't live in a democracy - we live in a constitutional monarchy - but I get your point. Actually though, I came across a website the other day about a party that will be running in the next general election, and who wish to turn GB into a direct democratic state. Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people. Think I might break the habit of a lifetime and toss them my vote in 2015[/p][/quote]'Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.' You mean the people might not vote for them or anyone else who happens to be invisible? Absolutely hilarious post. Llanmartinangel

6:41pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Llanmartinangel says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo


m
wrote:
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible!
Well, technically speaking, we don't live in a democracy - we live in a constitutional monarchy - but I get your point.

Actually though, I came across a website the other day about a party that will be running in the next general election, and who wish to turn GB into a direct democratic state. Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.

Think I might break the habit of a lifetime and toss them my vote in 2015
'Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.'

You mean the people might not vote for them or anyone else who happens to be invisible? Absolutely hilarious post.
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.[/p][/quote]Isn't that a scary thought - we live in a "democracy" where none of the options are feasible![/p][/quote]Well, technically speaking, we don't live in a democracy - we live in a constitutional monarchy - but I get your point. Actually though, I came across a website the other day about a party that will be running in the next general election, and who wish to turn GB into a direct democratic state. Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people. Think I might break the habit of a lifetime and toss them my vote in 2015[/p][/quote]'Apparently they are able, under current legislation, to run without fielding any candidates. In the (at present highly unlikely) event they get elected - they will turn over control of the people to .... the people.' You mean the people might not vote for them or anyone else who happens to be invisible? Absolutely hilarious post. Llanmartinangel

7:04pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Mervyn James says...

Dai Rear wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.
If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge.

Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether.

Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?
No, that's what they said to me, although they COULD have been fibbing. But as I was actually collecting for food banks on behalf of the voluntary organisation of which I'm a member I suspect they weren't. Oh, and by virtue of my collecting (and the people of my home town were very generous) yet more people would have become aware of food banks. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Tories ARE lying, today a whiistle blower published an letter from the UK Government to the european parliament stating they opposed food banks and giving food aid to the poor. Let them eat cake.....
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: " figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.[/p][/quote]If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge. Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether. Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?[/p][/quote]No, that's what they said to me, although they COULD have been fibbing. But as I was actually collecting for food banks on behalf of the voluntary organisation of which I'm a member I suspect they weren't. Oh, and by virtue of my collecting (and the people of my home town were very generous) yet more people would have become aware of food banks. Quod erat demonstrandum.[/p][/quote]Tories ARE lying, today a whiistle blower published an letter from the UK Government to the european parliament stating they opposed food banks and giving food aid to the poor. Let them eat cake..... Mervyn James

7:04pm Wed 18 Dec 13

Mervyn James says...

Dai Rear wrote:
ollie72 wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
" figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.
If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge.

Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether.

Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?
No, that's what they said to me, although they COULD have been fibbing. But as I was actually collecting for food banks on behalf of the voluntary organisation of which I'm a member I suspect they weren't. Oh, and by virtue of my collecting (and the people of my home town were very generous) yet more people would have become aware of food banks. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Tories ARE lying, today a whiistle blower published an letter from the UK Government to the european parliament stating they opposed food banks and giving food aid to the poor. Let them eat cake.....
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ollie72[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: " figures revealed households relying on food donations had almost trebled in the space of a year. " I think that the reason this has happened is not that welfare has been stopped. In fact it's index-linked, unlike young people's wages. No, it is that the categories of organisations entitled to refer- not just DWP and social workers endthelies (perpetuate the lies?) it includes Street Padres, Citizens Advice and other charities-keeps expanding and their awareness of this resource increases. So, much as people like ontheinside and lies want it to be yer wicked capiterlism (or in the case of the Katie Recycled Committee some "phobia") the answer is probably much more mundane-and bloomin' obvious.[/p][/quote]If that's true, then I could understand being referred by charities - they tend to see human suffering at its worst, so are probably best placed to judge. Citizens advice - same, they are usually seeing people at the end of their tether. Street Padres - really, or are you just trying to make a point?[/p][/quote]No, that's what they said to me, although they COULD have been fibbing. But as I was actually collecting for food banks on behalf of the voluntary organisation of which I'm a member I suspect they weren't. Oh, and by virtue of my collecting (and the people of my home town were very generous) yet more people would have become aware of food banks. Quod erat demonstrandum.[/p][/quote]Tories ARE lying, today a whiistle blower published an letter from the UK Government to the european parliament stating they opposed food banks and giving food aid to the poor. Let them eat cake..... Mervyn James

8:41pm Wed 18 Dec 13

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

DavidMclean wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo

m
wrote:
Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.
Fair point re: unelectable. The Tories haven't won a General Election election in 23 years.

But as for alternatives, is that simply a soundbyte reaction, or have you actually bothered to check alternatives. 'Don't bear thinking about' usually translates as 'I assume they aren't worth checking, but haven't actually made much of an effort myself.'
No, not a soundbyte at all - I'm all about the alternatives. I myself am in favour of quite radical alternatives to our present electoral and government system. I was just referring to other mainstream alternatives, i.e. the ones who get the most press - the Libdems, UKIP and the BNP primarily.
[quote][p][bold]DavidMclean[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: Mind what you wish for there Bass' - The Tories are unelectable, New Labour have turned out to be nothing more than Tories in red ties, ergo unelectable. The alternatives don't bear thinking about.[/p][/quote]Fair point re: unelectable. The Tories haven't won a General Election election in 23 years. But as for alternatives, is that simply a soundbyte reaction, or have you actually bothered to check alternatives. 'Don't bear thinking about' usually translates as 'I assume they aren't worth checking, but haven't actually made much of an effort myself.'[/p][/quote]No, not a soundbyte at all - I'm all about the alternatives. I myself am in favour of quite radical alternatives to our present electoral and government system. I was just referring to other mainstream alternatives, i.e. the ones who get the most press - the Libdems, UKIP and the BNP primarily. GardenVarietyMushroom

10:53pm Wed 18 Dec 13

white white says...

oh by the way while people are tightening
their belts,nurses police and other emergency
services are having pay and pension problems.
other workers having pay freezes and their pensions
tampered with.councils around the UK tight budgeting
and cutting services, our military personnel being
made redundant after being involved several major
wars,our fleet nearly none existent .......our parliament
is opting for a 11% pay increase .and some of them have
more than one job. ,disgusting
oh by the way while people are tightening their belts,nurses police and other emergency services are having pay and pension problems. other workers having pay freezes and their pensions tampered with.councils around the UK tight budgeting and cutting services, our military personnel being made redundant after being involved several major wars,our fleet nearly none existent .......our parliament is opting for a 11% pay increase .and some of them have more than one job. ,disgusting white white

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree