Ideas for Newport need funding - council leader
11:17am Thursday 19th December 2013 in News
THE leader of Newport City Council, Cllr Bob Bright,says funding for projects proposed in the ReNewport report must be obtained as he welcomed its findings yesterday.
At a cabinet meeting last week, he said he “embraced” the report.
But he also said it was “just a number of bullet points of aspirations”.
In a statement released by the council yesterday, he said: “It is gratifying that many of our ideas, such as introducing more residential use of the city centre, are along the same lines as it demonstrates that we are on the right track and all have the best interests of Newport at heart.
“However, I think we do have to be mindful that many of the recommendations need serious funding to get off the ground and will need investment from the Welsh Government and others if they are to become a reality.
“Along with others we are looking forward to further discussions with the Task Force and the Welsh Government as these suggestions are developed further.”
But he said the city could look forward to a “brighter” future, citing the new Admiral headquarters, the construction of Friars Walk and the Nato summit at Celtic Manor next year.
Simon Gibson, who chaired the ReNewport task force, said he had been assured by Economy Minister Edwina Hart there is money available for most of the ideas they suggested.
These included a new “software university”, a roof over High Street and a national centre for cyber security.
Mr Gibson said last week the task force had been “absolutely blown away by the good will and good ideas” from the city’s people.
Mrs Hart has said she will give feedback on the report early next year.
The Newport Business Development Task Force is behind ReNewport.
Comments are closed on this article.