Newport's Tredegar House on course to treble visitor numbers
8:02am Thursday 2nd January 2014 in News
AN HISTORIC tourist attraction is on course to treble its visitor numbers since being taken over by a charity dedicated to protecting national treasures.
Tredegar House off Duffryn Drive, Newport, is widely believed to have been completed in around 1671 and is seen as an outstanding example of Restoration architecture.
The Grade I listed mansion drew 62,000 visitors between March and December last year, new figures obtained by the Argus reveal.
The latest statistics suggest that with three months to go, the attraction could record around 80,000 entries by March 2014.
Around 25,000 people went through the attraction's doors every year back when it was still run by Newport council.
The National Trust charity, which protects historic places and green spaces, took over the running of the mansion on a 50-year lease in March 2012.
Visitor experience manager, Gwenno Griffith, said: “It is fantastic to look back at the year knowing that 62,000 people chose to visit Tredegar House, with 4,000 enjoying the Christmas weekends.
“We’re looking forward to 2014.
"We have a number of projects under way that will come to fruition in the New Year.”
The National Trust will seek to continue boosting entry figures with a programme including Late Night Fridays and Strawberry Sundays. The mansion is also planning to re-launch weddings in late Spring and is to host an antiques’ roadshow in June.
Highlights of the 2014 events programme will include Easter activities, a pirate day and fun-filled junior rangers sessions, said Ms Griffith.
Trust bosses have also pledged to carry out around £4.5 million of repairs and improvements and are planning conservation work to the panelled paintings in the house in the next few months.
Comments are closed on this article.