A FORMER member of a far-right group previously jailed for making explosives was hauled back into court yesterday after hurling racial abuse at a police officer.

Darren Tinklin, 28, called ethnic minority officer PC Wayne Hunte a “nigger” and a “coon” after being arrested for fleeing police on the A467 in Risca, Newport magistrates heard.

Tinklin ran away across the dual carriageway before jumping over the central reservation.

PC Thomas Jenkins detained him, but he threatened the officer saying he would find out where his family lived.

He was then taken to Ystrad Mynach police station, but racially abused PC Jenkins’ colleague PC Hunte, the court heard.

Tinklin, of Vale View, Maesycwmmer, swore at the officer twice and suggested he should go back to his country, prosecutor Jeff Mark told the court.

Magistrates heard he had been left angry after sustaining a sore hand following his arrest on the A467.

He got into an argument with PC Jenkins after his vehicle broke down near the Full Moon roundabout.

Tinklin said he felt “bullied” by police and the only way to get back at the force was to racially abuse PC Hunte.

His solicitor, Mike Heames acknowledged his client had “gone over the top” by running away from police, but said he had taken valium tablets earlier that day.

Tinklin pleaded guilty to a racially aggravated charge of using threatening words and behaviour. He also admitted resisting a constable in the execution of his duty.

Magistrate Phillip Walker gave him 140 hours unpaid work and ordered him to pay £100 compensation to PC Hunte for causing him “stress and anxiety”.

He also imposed a one-year community order, including the unpaid work, and a requirement to attend a thinking skills programme, and ordered Tinklin to pay £85 prosecution costs and a £60 victim surcharge.

The Argus reported how Tinklin was jailed for three years in 2010 after police recovered a pipe bomb, Nazi paraphernalia and an improvised firearm at his home.

Tinklin admitted charges, including making an explosive substance and a pipe bomb.

Newport Crown Court had heard he had been involved with far-right extremist groups, but had ended his involvement in 2005.