Girl, 2 and parents hurt in stove explosion in Malpas, Newport

South Wales Argus: INJURED: A two-year-old girl and her parents were taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport after their stove exploded in Malpas INJURED: A two-year-old girl and her parents were taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport after their stove exploded in Malpas

A TWO-year-old girl and her parents were taken to hospital last night (Monday) after a wood burning stove exploded in their Newport home.

Daniel Jeavons, 28, happened to be crouching in front of the stove and shielded two-year-old Eadi-Mai from the blast, while partner Kate Howie, 27, was nearby in the kitchen at their home on Malpas Road.

Mr Jeavons’ father, Lliswerry councillor Roger Jeavons said the force of the explosion blew out the glass from the living room bay window some 40 or 50 feet away.

“Daniel was crouching down talking to the baby between the wood burner and her, so he took any blast, if there was one,” explained Cllr Jeavons, whose son is a plastering assessor.

“Perhaps we will know more later on. I am glad they are OK. They have only been in the house six months so we have no idea who put the stove in.”

Mr Jeavons, Miss Howie and baby Eadi-Mai were taken to hospital where Mr Jeavons received treatment to burns on his left leg while his partner was given oxygen.

Their baby daughter was fine, said Cllr Jeavons.

The family returned to hospital yesterday for further treatment and were described as “shocked”.

“We would like to thank the neighbours who were very good, somebody came in and rang the fire brigade,” said Cllr Jeavons.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We were called at 7.16pm on Monday to reports of a fire at a property on Malpas Road, Newport.

“A paramedic in a rapid response car and an emergency ambulance were dispatched to the scene, and three people with minor burns were taken to Royal Gwent Hospital for a precautionary check-up.”

Malpas and Maindee fire fighters also attended the incident but upon arrival reported that there was no fire involved.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:40pm Tue 7 Jan 14

Newportsucks85 says...

logs don't explode....compresse
d vessel put in log burner.....
logs don't explode....compresse d vessel put in log burner..... Newportsucks85

5:56pm Tue 7 Jan 14

john.hall1000 says...

You got a story like that, then next to it you've got a advert for wood burning stoves. it could only happen in the argus!.
You got a story like that, then next to it you've got a advert for wood burning stoves. it could only happen in the argus!. john.hall1000

9:23pm Tue 7 Jan 14

jerymp says...

New cut logs contain much water and must be split and dried before burning.
If a green un-split log is put on a very hot fire it`s possible that it can explode.
New cut logs contain much water and must be split and dried before burning. If a green un-split log is put on a very hot fire it`s possible that it can explode. jerymp

3:46am Wed 8 Jan 14

Legal3001 says...

Be interesting to know if the stove was fitted by a professional Hetas registered installer or was a builder/diy job. People think they can just throw these stoves in without realising the dangers, not to mention the legal implications and void house insurance possibilities.
Be interesting to know if the stove was fitted by a professional Hetas registered installer or was a builder/diy job. People think they can just throw these stoves in without realising the dangers, not to mention the legal implications and void house insurance possibilities. Legal3001

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree