A MAN has been convicted of a string of child sex offences after trial and will be sentenced at the end of the month.
Bernard Chapman, 64, formerly of Monmouthshire, was on trial for four counts of rape against a girl under 13 years old, four counts of sexual activity with a child and a further six counts of rape, all relating to the same girl, who is now an adult.
He denied all 14 of the charges but after conviction by jury will be sentenced at the end of the month.
The victim gave evidence during Chapman’s trial at Cardiff Crown Court last week, and broke down in tears as she told the court she suffered years of sexual abuse at his hands in Gwent.
Chapman, of Church Lane, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire denied all of the charges.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, sobbed as she told a jury of six men and six women she did not tell anyone about the alleged abuse until Chapman’s arrest last year.
She told the court from behind a screen: “I never thought it would be the right time.”
The woman spoke to police after an altercation during which Chapman allegedly hit her, though he was never charged over the incident, the jury heard.
The jury heard the abuse began when Chapman touched her over her clothes, and it later became full sexual intercourse.
Chapman will be sentenced on January 30 at Cardiff Crown Court.