Smoking in cars carrying children could be banned

Kids-in-cars smoking ban move

Kids-in-cars smoking ban move

First published in News
Last updated

SMOKING in cars carrying children could become illegal if a vote in the House of Lords is passed.

The plan will go before peers today as Labour proposes an amendment to the Children and Families Bill, the BBC said.

Labour wants to see a specific offence created to discourage people from smoking around children.

The amendment would make it an offence for drivers of private vehicles to fail to prevent smoking when a child is present.

Smoking was banned in workplaces and many enclosed public spaces in England in 2007.

Shadow health secretary Andy Burnham says Britain should follow the example set by countries like Australia, Canada and a number of American states.

He told Sky News: "When it comes to improving the health of children, we are duty bound to consider any measure that might make a difference.

"Adults are free to make their own choices but that often does not apply to children and that's why society has an obligation to protect them from preventable harm.

"Evidence from other countries shows that stopping smoking in the confined space of a car carrying children can prevent damage to their health and has strong public support."

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:50am Wed 29 Jan 14

Dai Rear says...

Think about the social class of those who'd now smoke in cars transporting children and you'll appreciate that the genetic burden their offspring already carry is hardly likely to be worsened by a little smoke.
No doubt the House of Lords will pass this on the nod because it's another Socialist Ban. But when it comes to giving us a say in getting out of the vile EU, then the Lords tells us, the people, to go and reproduce ourselves.
Think about the social class of those who'd now smoke in cars transporting children and you'll appreciate that the genetic burden their offspring already carry is hardly likely to be worsened by a little smoke. No doubt the House of Lords will pass this on the nod because it's another Socialist Ban. But when it comes to giving us a say in getting out of the vile EU, then the Lords tells us, the people, to go and reproduce ourselves. Dai Rear
  • Score: -7

10:11am Wed 29 Jan 14

Woodgnome says...

How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?
How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban? Woodgnome
  • Score: 4

12:17pm Wed 29 Jan 14

bluebanana says...

I thought this proposal was for England only and I thought the Argus only covered 'local' news?
I thought this proposal was for England only and I thought the Argus only covered 'local' news? bluebanana
  • Score: 3

1:20pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Dai Rear says...

bluebanana wrote:
I thought this proposal was for England only and I thought the Argus only covered 'local' news?
What a wonderful thought PC "Dai" Noddy and Sergeant "Butty" Bigears roaring at the C3's as they screech down south of Ross on the A449 in their R-Reg Astras "PUT THAT BL**DY FAG OUT". Bit like the ARP warden in Dad's Army
[quote][p][bold]bluebanana[/bold] wrote: I thought this proposal was for England only and I thought the Argus only covered 'local' news?[/p][/quote]What a wonderful thought PC "Dai" Noddy and Sergeant "Butty" Bigears roaring at the C3's as they screech down south of Ross on the A449 in their R-Reg Astras "PUT THAT BL**DY FAG OUT". Bit like the ARP warden in Dad's Army Dai Rear
  • Score: -4

1:22pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Dai Rear says...

Woodgnome wrote:
How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?
It won't. It's tokenism. It makes the West Hampstead Dinner Party Set feel good about themselves, telling the plebs what to do.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?[/p][/quote]It won't. It's tokenism. It makes the West Hampstead Dinner Party Set feel good about themselves, telling the plebs what to do. Dai Rear
  • Score: -5

5:00pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Woodgnome says...

Dai Rear wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?
It won't. It's tokenism. It makes the West Hampstead Dinner Party Set feel good about themselves, telling the plebs what to do.
Err - this is Labour Party policy.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?[/p][/quote]It won't. It's tokenism. It makes the West Hampstead Dinner Party Set feel good about themselves, telling the plebs what to do.[/p][/quote]Err - this is Labour Party policy. Woodgnome
  • Score: 1

5:59pm Wed 29 Jan 14

Dai Rear says...

Woodgnome wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
Woodgnome wrote:
How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?
It won't. It's tokenism. It makes the West Hampstead Dinner Party Set feel good about themselves, telling the plebs what to do.
Err - this is Labour Party policy.
Yep. You don't think Messrs Miliband, Balls, Cooper Tristram (I love that name)Hunt and all the other Labour luvvies dine out in Roath do you?
But to take it a step further it'll then be a crime to smoke in public housing if anyone under 25 is present. Then to smoke in public housing full stop. Then we'll have the Colorado Act 2016 from our Heroes of the Working Man and the only item to be legally smoked will be, yes, you got it. But hey, it's OK to drive the kiddywinks around when you've been smoking an hallucinogenic , sedative drug, isn't it? A million citizens of Denver say it is.
[quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Woodgnome[/bold] wrote: How will this be enforced when white can man and young women drivers (mainly) already blatantly ignore the mobile phone ban?[/p][/quote]It won't. It's tokenism. It makes the West Hampstead Dinner Party Set feel good about themselves, telling the plebs what to do.[/p][/quote]Err - this is Labour Party policy.[/p][/quote]Yep. You don't think Messrs Miliband, Balls, Cooper Tristram (I love that name)Hunt and all the other Labour luvvies dine out in Roath do you? But to take it a step further it'll then be a crime to smoke in public housing if anyone under 25 is present. Then to smoke in public housing full stop. Then we'll have the Colorado Act 2016 from our Heroes of the Working Man and the only item to be legally smoked will be, yes, you got it. But hey, it's OK to drive the kiddywinks around when you've been smoking an hallucinogenic , sedative drug, isn't it? A million citizens of Denver say it is. Dai Rear
  • Score: -5

11:10am Thu 30 Jan 14

Realist UK says...

Typical Labour policy, Tax it or Ban it.
Typical Labour policy, Tax it or Ban it. Realist UK
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree