AS MORE heavy rain and gale force winds hit Gwent many have been affected by floods and electrical faults.

Fire crews were called to an electric cable arc in Tredegar Street in Rhiwderin, at 9.56am this morning.
Fire crews from Duffryn attended as a safety precaution until Western Power Distribution were able to arrive.
A fire service spokeswoman said that electrical cables along the street were arcing and smoking as a result of the severe weather.
Fire crews left the scene at 10.18am.
No one was injured.

UPDATE 12.43: Arriva Trains Wales has reported that a landslip between Abergavenny and Hereford has caused the northbound line Cardiff Central to Shrewsbury to be blocked.
Both lines are blocked and a limited road replacement transport is in operation.  Passengers making long distance journeys are advised to travel via Bristol Parkway / Birmingham New Street, First Great Western, Cross Country and London Midland will all accept Arriva Trains Wales tickets for these journeys.
Arriva Trains Wales have thanked passengers for their patience and said they would like to apologise for the continued inconvenience caused.


UPDATE 1.01: Western Power Distribution reported problems caused by gale force winds and lightening in the past 24 hours which have caused numerous electrical faults.
A Western Power Distribution spokesman confirmed that 426 customers in the Abertillery and Abersychan areas are back on power supply after high wind blew a tree over causing the over head power lines to be brought down at 9.36am yesterday.
All customers were back on supply by 1.13pm.
Meanwhile around 800 residents in the Glangrwyney area of Abergavenny were experiencing ’abnormal supplies’; due to high winds damaging an electrical pole supplying the power connection, around 6.45pm last night.
All affected were back on supply by 10pm.


UPDATE 1.24: Amanda Peters from Abergavenny social enterprise Vintage Vision, said sightseers had gathered on the bridge over the Usk in Abergavenny to watch the high, fast flowing waters.
"Castle Meadows were flooded this morning and there were lots of sightseers on the bridge," she said.
"The river has gone down a bit since then, it's not quite covering the meadow now, but it is incredibly high."

Meanwhile Shelley Rastall, who runs the Abbey Mill Wye Valley Centre on the banks of the Wye in Tintern, said she was determined to keep the centre open even though it had been flooded repeatedly over the past week.

"The waters come in and go out again and we just get on with it," she said.
"We're still open for business, we make sure we are open for our customers."
She said the floodwaters had not caused any significant damage.