Plans to make 2015 Newport half marathon even bigger
3:26pm Saturday 15th February 2014 in News
THE 2014 Argus-backed Newport half marathon hasn't even taken place yet, but plans are already underway to make the 2015 race even bigger and better.
Entry for this year's race on Sunday, March 2 had to be closed in January due to a massive demand for places, which meant that many runners missed out.
It has been confirmed that 1,350 participants will be at Rodney Parade next month for the 13.1 mile race, sponsored by Admiral and in aid of St David’s Hospice.
That is an increase of 350 on the 1,000 runners that took part last year.
But it is now hoped that next year's race will be the biggest yet.
Kris Broome, of St David’s Hospice Care, said: “This year is important as it helps build it again for next year which is something that we are really focusing on.
“We want people out supporting the runners as it really helps push them on and creates a good atmosphere, which’ll encourage more people to run next year.
“We originally said we’d close the entries for this year just a week before the race but we had to take the decision to close it in January due to it being potentially dangerous for runners if it got any busier.”
St David’s Hospice are currently exploring options for a bigger route for 2015 due to the current course having a maximum number of runners before congestion is caused.
“We’re looking for a route that would allow more people to run,” added Mr Broome.
“That’ll help us make the event even bigger next year which is what we’re hoping for. It’s all about next year.”