Risca 'bomb' probe continues

South Wales Argus: This picture taken before the detonation shows the 'bomb' covered by sandbags and was taken by resident  Chris Jones. (4423653) This picture taken before the detonation shows the 'bomb' covered by sandbags and was taken by resident Chris Jones. (4423653)

INVESTIGATIONS continue after a suspected bomb was detonated in Risca on Tuesday morning.

All residents within a 100m cordon around the Risca police station were evacuated, while a controlled explosion took place.

Just after 9am on Tuesday, residents were told to leave their properties as a suspected bomb was in the police station on Tredegar Street. Residents had to wait almost two hours for the cordon to be lifted.

The device had been handed to police officers by a member of the public on Monday, but the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team waited until Tuesday to detonate the 'bomb' as according to Gwent Police, this kind of procedure is always undertaken in daylight hours- where possible.

One resident, Chris Jones said on Tuesday: "Why were we allowed to sleep in our beds last night just 30 yards from the device then this morning we were told to leave our homes? The bomb was there yesterday evening, they just put some sand bags around it then went home and left us without even being told."

Yesterday, Gwent Police were unable to confirm the nature of the device.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree