Sport firm plan to create Newport 150 jobs refused

A FIRM refused permission to move into a building once used by a bowling alley says its plans would have created 150 full and part-time jobs.

SportsDirect says it is disappointed by the Newport council planning department’s decision, which argued plans for the firm to relocate to Megabowl would harm the city centre.

The firm and Johnsey Estates applied for permission for the retailer to move its Newport Retail Park Spytty store to the vacant site nearby, incorporating a gym and possibly Home Bargains.

It is unclear if the applicants will appeal.

The Argus revealed last month that Friars Walk developer Queensberry Real Estate (QRE) had objected, claiming the applicant’s test of whether different city retail sites could accommodate SportsDirect was inaccurate. A spokeswoman for the retailer said the company was “disappointed to hear of the planning decision”.

She said: “The decision to move to a larger unit adjacent to the park would have resulted in SportsDirect reoccupying a building which has stood vacant for nine years.

“Our intention with this unit would have been to invest around £5 million to create a 35,000 square foot retail unit, together with a 20,000 square foot gym – a proposition which would have created 150 full and part-time jobs”.

She said it would have been one of the largest units used by the firm, and added they hope to find a solution which will “help build this vision”.

Refusing the application, officers said the proposals “will cause significant harm to interests of acknowledged importance, namely the vitality and viability of the sequentially preferable city centre, by reason of a significant increase in open A1 retail floorspace in a less sequentially preferable retail location.”

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:45am Fri 7 Mar 14

whatintheworld says...

finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre!
finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre! whatintheworld
  • Score: 7

11:12am Fri 7 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

whatintheworld wrote:
finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre!
Mostly agree with what you say there, though do think that horse bolted when they let Tesco build there.

However, isn't capitalism based on the premise that competition is healthy and good for the consumer? It wold seem to me that Queensbury are trying to stifle any competition, and the council, who will be terrified of anything going wrong now, are letting them get away with it.
[quote][p][bold]whatintheworld[/bold] wrote: finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre![/p][/quote]Mostly agree with what you say there, though do think that horse bolted when they let Tesco build there. However, isn't capitalism based on the premise that competition is healthy and good for the consumer? It wold seem to me that Queensbury are trying to stifle any competition, and the council, who will be terrified of anything going wrong now, are letting them get away with it. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 18

11:19am Fri 7 Mar 14

33daverave says...

........and what if Sports Direct don't want to go to Friars Walk ?
Newport is leaking jobs like a sieve yet can turn down a guaranteed 150 jobs for vanity. They truly are barking mad.
........and what if Sports Direct don't want to go to Friars Walk ? Newport is leaking jobs like a sieve yet can turn down a guaranteed 150 jobs for vanity. They truly are barking mad. 33daverave
  • Score: 27

11:46am Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

Sports Direct already have a store at spytty so exactly how are the magical 150 jobs going to be created if they don't already have them, or are they saying that they will now close the store.

I think it's brilliant news as for once the council have done something right but the keyboard warriors are still bashing them. I don't agree with most of what they do but they have taken a £90million loan and they need to protect this.

There would be nothing stopping sports direct moving into a bigger unit that already has permission for the use they want.

If they don't want a shop in friars walk then there will be some other competitior relishing to get the chance to take some trade off sports direct by coming to the area, just needs some savy manager at queensbury to point this out when they are looking for tennents, if this has not already happened.
Sports Direct already have a store at spytty so exactly how are the magical 150 jobs going to be created if they don't already have them, or are they saying that they will now close the store. I think it's brilliant news as for once the council have done something right but the keyboard warriors are still bashing them. I don't agree with most of what they do but they have taken a £90million loan and they need to protect this. There would be nothing stopping sports direct moving into a bigger unit that already has permission for the use they want. If they don't want a shop in friars walk then there will be some other competitior relishing to get the chance to take some trade off sports direct by coming to the area, just needs some savy manager at queensbury to point this out when they are looking for tennents, if this has not already happened. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: -3

12:15pm Fri 7 Mar 14

MERoden says...

I agree with Newport Council on this. Newport Council have done the right thing here refusing permission at Newport Retail Park, Spytty.

The city centre is the more suitable location for a store like this. The city centre is also more accessible, particularly for people without a car. Therefore, Sports Direct would have access to a lot more customers in the city centre.

Well done Newport Council. I am with you all the way on this. The city centre is the place we need to concentrate on attracting new businesses to.
I agree with Newport Council on this. Newport Council have done the right thing here refusing permission at Newport Retail Park, Spytty. The city centre is the more suitable location for a store like this. The city centre is also more accessible, particularly for people without a car. Therefore, Sports Direct would have access to a lot more customers in the city centre. Well done Newport Council. I am with you all the way on this. The city centre is the place we need to concentrate on attracting new businesses to. MERoden
  • Score: -3

12:26pm Fri 7 Mar 14

portman says...

Yeah get your backsides back in the city center spytty is big enough now !no more!
Yeah get your backsides back in the city center spytty is big enough now !no more! portman
  • Score: -7

12:57pm Fri 7 Mar 14

ronnie1234 says...

They already have a unit on Spytty so would only be moving, plus creating a gym. No one who uses a gym wants to travel into a 'city' centre.

This building has been empty for 9 years!!!
They already have a unit on Spytty so would only be moving, plus creating a gym. No one who uses a gym wants to travel into a 'city' centre. This building has been empty for 9 years!!! ronnie1234
  • Score: 19

1:20pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Jinxey says...

ronnie1234 wrote:
They already have a unit on Spytty so would only be moving, plus creating a gym. No one who uses a gym wants to travel into a 'city' centre.

This building has been empty for 9 years!!!
Well it looks like it will stay that way for longer! Seeing as they already have a store down Spytty and they are looking to expand to accommodate a gym, I think this is a silly decision.

I would prefer to the site as a leisure facility but let's face it, after being empty for nine years, that simply isn't going to happen. Seems to me Queensberry are getting involved for no real reason. If they can't accommodate to Sports Direct's needs then they don't really have any right to refuse.

We need the jobs and if Sports Direct want to stay in Spytty and expand then who can reject?
[quote][p][bold]ronnie1234[/bold] wrote: They already have a unit on Spytty so would only be moving, plus creating a gym. No one who uses a gym wants to travel into a 'city' centre. This building has been empty for 9 years!!![/p][/quote]Well it looks like it will stay that way for longer! Seeing as they already have a store down Spytty and they are looking to expand to accommodate a gym, I think this is a silly decision. I would prefer to the site as a leisure facility but let's face it, after being empty for nine years, that simply isn't going to happen. Seems to me Queensberry are getting involved for no real reason. If they can't accommodate to Sports Direct's needs then they don't really have any right to refuse. We need the jobs and if Sports Direct want to stay in Spytty and expand then who can reject? Jinxey
  • Score: 15

3:52pm Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

Jinxey wrote:
ronnie1234 wrote:
They already have a unit on Spytty so would only be moving, plus creating a gym. No one who uses a gym wants to travel into a 'city' centre.

This building has been empty for 9 years!!!
Well it looks like it will stay that way for longer! Seeing as they already have a store down Spytty and they are looking to expand to accommodate a gym, I think this is a silly decision.

I would prefer to the site as a leisure facility but let's face it, after being empty for nine years, that simply isn't going to happen. Seems to me Queensberry are getting involved for no real reason. If they can't accommodate to Sports Direct's needs then they don't really have any right to refuse.

We need the jobs and if Sports Direct want to stay in Spytty and expand then who can reject?
There are alot of other gyms in the area, newport city council owns a few that are underused as much as the privately operated gyms. Moving from 1 unit will still leave a unit unoccupied.

I am so so glad that another entity such as quensberry that have the clout are for once having the say on behalf of the objector.

How many times have big retailers gotten thier way because they have the clout, now the shoe is on the other foot. As no doubt megabowl was passed up by all the other companies that have moved into the site and have been allowed to new build. It's the fault of the jhonsey estate in allowing greed to rule over common sense. They tried to make hay while the sun shone but now it's cloudy and they are being bitten.

They should have torn down mega bowl and built on the free land. As it stands now the building will remain empty and the rates and maintenence will still have to be paid.

So who can reject? Any sane person would. Stating that 150 jobs will be created is just a carrot being hung infront of the donkey, can you really see that out of the 150 jobs created I would imagine that the magority would be part time jobs I'm also thinking that this figure would also include the staff they currently have as it doesn't state if they are new jobs or not.
[quote][p][bold]Jinxey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronnie1234[/bold] wrote: They already have a unit on Spytty so would only be moving, plus creating a gym. No one who uses a gym wants to travel into a 'city' centre. This building has been empty for 9 years!!![/p][/quote]Well it looks like it will stay that way for longer! Seeing as they already have a store down Spytty and they are looking to expand to accommodate a gym, I think this is a silly decision. I would prefer to the site as a leisure facility but let's face it, after being empty for nine years, that simply isn't going to happen. Seems to me Queensberry are getting involved for no real reason. If they can't accommodate to Sports Direct's needs then they don't really have any right to refuse. We need the jobs and if Sports Direct want to stay in Spytty and expand then who can reject?[/p][/quote]There are alot of other gyms in the area, newport city council owns a few that are underused as much as the privately operated gyms. Moving from 1 unit will still leave a unit unoccupied. I am so so glad that another entity such as quensberry that have the clout are for once having the say on behalf of the objector. How many times have big retailers gotten thier way because they have the clout, now the shoe is on the other foot. As no doubt megabowl was passed up by all the other companies that have moved into the site and have been allowed to new build. It's the fault of the jhonsey estate in allowing greed to rule over common sense. They tried to make hay while the sun shone but now it's cloudy and they are being bitten. They should have torn down mega bowl and built on the free land. As it stands now the building will remain empty and the rates and maintenence will still have to be paid. So who can reject? Any sane person would. Stating that 150 jobs will be created is just a carrot being hung infront of the donkey, can you really see that out of the 150 jobs created I would imagine that the magority would be part time jobs I'm also thinking that this figure would also include the staff they currently have as it doesn't state if they are new jobs or not. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: -3

4:02pm Fri 7 Mar 14

theviking666 says...

why didn,t they stop any of the other retailers leaving the city centre and letting them go out there?
why didn,t they stop any of the other retailers leaving the city centre and letting them go out there? theviking666
  • Score: -2

4:17pm Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

There was nothing wrong in creating the retail park in the begining because newport could not provide the space required. I think I can remember tescos being in the kingsway at some point. But giving the current space they have could they be accomodated now?

There is as much a need for out of town shopping as there is for in town shopping. Out of town shopping is more about knowing what you want and where you want to go and doing it all as quickly as possible. Shopping in town is more about browsing. Which is why town is so dead as there isn't that much to occupy the time in between. There needs to be more places to eat and drink, but not like mcdonalds, someting a little bit smarter. Also something like the old inshops, the market was never quite the same, I personally do not like the atmosphere in the market, feels so outdated and slightly un inviting to most.

On a slightly different topic I did have the misfortune to use the toilets in the market yesterday as the ones in the bus station have obviously closed now, and it's been a long time since I've smelt something quite as bad, I have a preety strong stomach and a fair tollecance to unplesant smells but the smell was unbareable, so I am sad to see the old toilets gone as atleast they had a clean feel and smell, and don't even get me started on the organisation of the bus stops. It's a shambles and hopefully it will be corrected when the new development is complete.
There was nothing wrong in creating the retail park in the begining because newport could not provide the space required. I think I can remember tescos being in the kingsway at some point. But giving the current space they have could they be accomodated now? There is as much a need for out of town shopping as there is for in town shopping. Out of town shopping is more about knowing what you want and where you want to go and doing it all as quickly as possible. Shopping in town is more about browsing. Which is why town is so dead as there isn't that much to occupy the time in between. There needs to be more places to eat and drink, but not like mcdonalds, someting a little bit smarter. Also something like the old inshops, the market was never quite the same, I personally do not like the atmosphere in the market, feels so outdated and slightly un inviting to most. On a slightly different topic I did have the misfortune to use the toilets in the market yesterday as the ones in the bus station have obviously closed now, and it's been a long time since I've smelt something quite as bad, I have a preety strong stomach and a fair tollecance to unplesant smells but the smell was unbareable, so I am sad to see the old toilets gone as atleast they had a clean feel and smell, and don't even get me started on the organisation of the bus stops. It's a shambles and hopefully it will be corrected when the new development is complete. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: 2

7:10pm Fri 7 Mar 14

wagtail says...

Typical NCC

They do not want Newport to expand and do well, they would rather support empty shops, A unit closed for 9 years an opportunity to open back up and they would rather see it go the same way as the mural and clock .

Sports Direct only want to go 100 yards to another building, its not as if they are moving out of town like the rest of the shops.

Who and Why? let H&M, Claire's Accessories, River Island, Bank, JD Sports, Gap Outlet Peacocks, Outfit, Tesco Extra, Thorntons, Iceland, Blockbuster Video, Birthdays, Marks & Spencer, Next and New Look leave the city centre.

NCC who else and Why?

To give them the excuse to build a new development and bring the much heralded Debenhams to town and now THEY CANNOT FAIL BECAUSE OF THE LOAN and they will protect their investment to the full.

You all forget, recently, most people did NOT want this council to borrow this money.

Now their leisure facilities have to be more accountable they want to stifle the competition for their own needs, they have just spent a lot of money refurbing the gyms at the Velodrome and The Stadium,

This council cannot even support the local football team!!!!! and they moved back INTO town.
Typical NCC They do not want Newport to expand and do well, they would rather support empty shops, A unit closed for 9 years an opportunity to open back up and they would rather see it go the same way as the mural and clock . Sports Direct only want to go 100 yards to another building, its not as if they are moving out of town like the rest of the shops. Who and Why? let H&M, Claire's Accessories, River Island, Bank, JD Sports, Gap Outlet Peacocks, Outfit, Tesco Extra, Thorntons, Iceland, Blockbuster Video, Birthdays, Marks & Spencer, Next and New Look leave the city centre. NCC who else and Why? To give them the excuse to build a new development and bring the much heralded Debenhams to town and now THEY CANNOT FAIL BECAUSE OF THE LOAN and they will protect their investment to the full. You all forget, recently, most people did NOT want this council to borrow this money. Now their leisure facilities have to be more accountable they want to stifle the competition for their own needs, they have just spent a lot of money refurbing the gyms at the Velodrome and The Stadium, This council cannot even support the local football team!!!!! and they moved back INTO town. wagtail
  • Score: 5

7:43pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Magor says...

Another wrong decision by a wrong council.
Another wrong decision by a wrong council. Magor
  • Score: 7

8:01pm Fri 7 Mar 14

mvaone says...

We'll have it at Cwmbran as we are better located with a better bus station and a better town centre,
We'll have it at Cwmbran as we are better located with a better bus station and a better town centre, mvaone
  • Score: 1

8:02pm Fri 7 Mar 14

mvaone says...

Let them come to Cwmbran we'll have the jobs if your dirty little city does'nt
Let them come to Cwmbran we'll have the jobs if your dirty little city does'nt mvaone
  • Score: 2

8:04pm Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

wagtail wrote:
Typical NCC

They do not want Newport to expand and do well, they would rather support empty shops, A unit closed for 9 years an opportunity to open back up and they would rather see it go the same way as the mural and clock .

Sports Direct only want to go 100 yards to another building, its not as if they are moving out of town like the rest of the shops.

Who and Why? let H&M, Claire's Accessories, River Island, Bank, JD Sports, Gap Outlet Peacocks, Outfit, Tesco Extra, Thorntons, Iceland, Blockbuster Video, Birthdays, Marks & Spencer, Next and New Look leave the city centre.

NCC who else and Why?

To give them the excuse to build a new development and bring the much heralded Debenhams to town and now THEY CANNOT FAIL BECAUSE OF THE LOAN and they will protect their investment to the full.

You all forget, recently, most people did NOT want this council to borrow this money.

Now their leisure facilities have to be more accountable they want to stifle the competition for their own needs, they have just spent a lot of money refurbing the gyms at the Velodrome and The Stadium,

This council cannot even support the local football team!!!!! and they moved back INTO town.
It is not the councils fault that mega bowl is or will remain empty. It's pupose and use is not suitable for most retail outlets which is why it has stood empty. The owners of the estate should have redeveloped it when they had the chance and instead of building more units they should have done something with the empty ones first.

I don't think that anyone can stop a corporation from moving out of town centre if they wish, especially if they move to a unit that already has planning permission of the use they require.

I hardly see that the shops you mention have given the council an excuse to develop as they were not located in the area that has been demolished so therefore would not have been effected.

Who cares about Debenhams I couldn't give a flying fig about who takes on the units once they are built so long as there are the mixed use developments that they are planning and getting a more vairied use into the city.

No nobody would want them to get the loan in the first place as it's crazy taking on a loan that you don't own the colateral on but they bit the bullet to get the development started so I'm not going to quibble over that as it's done it's in the past.

Competition is good as it makes businesses do better and offer better services to the customers, but overcrowding is bad and I would imagine that this is why they have turned down the development. I occasionally walk past the car part to the old fitness first which is usually nearly empty, Banatynes are in the same position. So all they are doing is protecting not only thier own interests but the interests of other businesses. Not enough people use the cervices that are currently offered so if by creating 150 jobs you end up jepordising the jobs of others then you have to make a decision, which might not always be the popular one.

NCC will always have the problem that no matter what they do they will not please everyone. But recently I think that they have been doing things for the greater good and I think that getting the friars walk development up and running and turning down this development is one of them, although in my opinion they still have a long way to go to make up for tearing down the chartist momorial.

I also do not see how Newport County moving to Rodney Parade had anything to do with the council as I understand they wanted the council to keep spytty park open to them to return to if things didn't work out at rodney parade, cherry and cake spring to mind thier.
[quote][p][bold]wagtail[/bold] wrote: Typical NCC They do not want Newport to expand and do well, they would rather support empty shops, A unit closed for 9 years an opportunity to open back up and they would rather see it go the same way as the mural and clock . Sports Direct only want to go 100 yards to another building, its not as if they are moving out of town like the rest of the shops. Who and Why? let H&M, Claire's Accessories, River Island, Bank, JD Sports, Gap Outlet Peacocks, Outfit, Tesco Extra, Thorntons, Iceland, Blockbuster Video, Birthdays, Marks & Spencer, Next and New Look leave the city centre. NCC who else and Why? To give them the excuse to build a new development and bring the much heralded Debenhams to town and now THEY CANNOT FAIL BECAUSE OF THE LOAN and they will protect their investment to the full. You all forget, recently, most people did NOT want this council to borrow this money. Now their leisure facilities have to be more accountable they want to stifle the competition for their own needs, they have just spent a lot of money refurbing the gyms at the Velodrome and The Stadium, This council cannot even support the local football team!!!!! and they moved back INTO town.[/p][/quote]It is not the councils fault that mega bowl is or will remain empty. It's pupose and use is not suitable for most retail outlets which is why it has stood empty. The owners of the estate should have redeveloped it when they had the chance and instead of building more units they should have done something with the empty ones first. I don't think that anyone can stop a corporation from moving out of town centre if they wish, especially if they move to a unit that already has planning permission of the use they require. I hardly see that the shops you mention have given the council an excuse to develop as they were not located in the area that has been demolished so therefore would not have been effected. Who cares about Debenhams I couldn't give a flying fig about who takes on the units once they are built so long as there are the mixed use developments that they are planning and getting a more vairied use into the city. No nobody would want them to get the loan in the first place as it's crazy taking on a loan that you don't own the colateral on but they bit the bullet to get the development started so I'm not going to quibble over that as it's done it's in the past. Competition is good as it makes businesses do better and offer better services to the customers, but overcrowding is bad and I would imagine that this is why they have turned down the development. I occasionally walk past the car part to the old fitness first which is usually nearly empty, Banatynes are in the same position. So all they are doing is protecting not only thier own interests but the interests of other businesses. Not enough people use the cervices that are currently offered so if by creating 150 jobs you end up jepordising the jobs of others then you have to make a decision, which might not always be the popular one. NCC will always have the problem that no matter what they do they will not please everyone. But recently I think that they have been doing things for the greater good and I think that getting the friars walk development up and running and turning down this development is one of them, although in my opinion they still have a long way to go to make up for tearing down the chartist momorial. I also do not see how Newport County moving to Rodney Parade had anything to do with the council as I understand they wanted the council to keep spytty park open to them to return to if things didn't work out at rodney parade, cherry and cake spring to mind thier. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: 0

8:07pm Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

Magor wrote:
Another wrong decision by a wrong council.
Another wrong comment by a narrow minded keyboard warrior.
[quote][p][bold]Magor[/bold] wrote: Another wrong decision by a wrong council.[/p][/quote]Another wrong comment by a narrow minded keyboard warrior. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: -6

8:10pm Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

mvaone wrote:
Let them come to Cwmbran we'll have the jobs if your dirty little city does'nt
Actually I think that would be a good idea, perhaps you could write a letter to the Chairman of Sports Direct and see what happens.

I would hardly call it a better bus station just better organised because it is in one heck of a cramped location that you can't help but walk off 1 bus and straight onto another.
[quote][p][bold]mvaone[/bold] wrote: Let them come to Cwmbran we'll have the jobs if your dirty little city does'nt[/p][/quote]Actually I think that would be a good idea, perhaps you could write a letter to the Chairman of Sports Direct and see what happens. I would hardly call it a better bus station just better organised because it is in one heck of a cramped location that you can't help but walk off 1 bus and straight onto another. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: 1

8:23pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Dave on his Soapbox says...

....surely Johnsey Estates has a good case to appeal the decision to the WAG as there is obviously a conflict of interest as Newport CBC is financing the shopping centre and has done this on at the behest of it's own contractor to protect it's money and viability of the development....
....surely Johnsey Estates has a good case to appeal the decision to the WAG as there is obviously a conflict of interest as Newport CBC is financing the shopping centre and has done this on at the behest of it's own contractor to protect it's money and viability of the development.... Dave on his Soapbox
  • Score: 8

8:45pm Fri 7 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

Dave on his Soapbox wrote:
....surely Johnsey Estates has a good case to appeal the decision to the WAG as there is obviously a conflict of interest as Newport CBC is financing the shopping centre and has done this on at the behest of it's own contractor to protect it's money and viability of the development....
Why can't people see past the glaringly obvious and realise that the retail park is already big enough, allowing for another med size unit to become vacant will only give cause for another business to move out of the town centre.

Why can't we get behind our council once in a while and hope that for once they do what is best in the long term.
[quote][p][bold]Dave on his Soapbox[/bold] wrote: ....surely Johnsey Estates has a good case to appeal the decision to the WAG as there is obviously a conflict of interest as Newport CBC is financing the shopping centre and has done this on at the behest of it's own contractor to protect it's money and viability of the development....[/p][/quote]Why can't people see past the glaringly obvious and realise that the retail park is already big enough, allowing for another med size unit to become vacant will only give cause for another business to move out of the town centre. Why can't we get behind our council once in a while and hope that for once they do what is best in the long term. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: -8

8:42am Sat 8 Mar 14

Woodgnome says...

grumpyandopinionated wrote:
Dave on his Soapbox wrote:
....surely Johnsey Estates has a good case to appeal the decision to the WAG as there is obviously a conflict of interest as Newport CBC is financing the shopping centre and has done this on at the behest of it's own contractor to protect it's money and viability of the development....
Why can't people see past the glaringly obvious and realise that the retail park is already big enough, allowing for another med size unit to become vacant will only give cause for another business to move out of the town centre.

Why can't we get behind our council once in a while and hope that for once they do what is best in the long term.
They will appeal and succeed. It would be a more informative article if SWA told us what sort of use would be permitted - as it sure aint going to be a bowling alley. Is NCC policy to stop alternative use and leave it empty?
[quote][p][bold]grumpyandopinionated[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dave on his Soapbox[/bold] wrote: ....surely Johnsey Estates has a good case to appeal the decision to the WAG as there is obviously a conflict of interest as Newport CBC is financing the shopping centre and has done this on at the behest of it's own contractor to protect it's money and viability of the development....[/p][/quote]Why can't people see past the glaringly obvious and realise that the retail park is already big enough, allowing for another med size unit to become vacant will only give cause for another business to move out of the town centre. Why can't we get behind our council once in a while and hope that for once they do what is best in the long term.[/p][/quote]They will appeal and succeed. It would be a more informative article if SWA told us what sort of use would be permitted - as it sure aint going to be a bowling alley. Is NCC policy to stop alternative use and leave it empty? Woodgnome
  • Score: 4

9:13am Sat 8 Mar 14

AMBERLING says...

Glad to see the council are thinking about the town centre at long last, though it's a bit like they're trying to revive the corpse that they've slowly killed over the years !
As a non-driver I mourn the loss of a central vibrant hub where I could browse and shop for most things. This is why Cwmbran has lured shoppers away because everything is within walking distance and convenient, whether it's a supermarket or a furniture shop. Here, although it appears the town centre has relocated to Spytty, we still have to travel to the other extremities Newport to exercise choice.
I also have to comment on the locations of the town's temporary bus stops. Why, when they all serve parts of Malpas Road, don't the Brynglas, Bettws and Malpas buses leave from the same area ? Although I shouldn't be surprised, in what I've seen of management appointments these days, it appears logic is not a necessary qualification !
I'd like to see M & S and Sports Direct return to the town centre, along with a good selection of shops and interesting restaurants (not chains!) supported by a few decent café/bars (which would've been nice on the riverside, instead of that University!!). Hopefully, these dreams will materialise in time, but I fear the City Centre rates will deter a lot from taking a chance on it. There's something about this country, locally and nationally, that makes lowering prices to encourage more punters unthinkable - along with the need to help and improve the lives of their own people first ! - and it's about time that all changed.
Glad to see the council are thinking about the town centre at long last, though it's a bit like they're trying to revive the corpse that they've slowly killed over the years ! As a non-driver I mourn the loss of a central vibrant hub where I could browse and shop for most things. This is why Cwmbran has lured shoppers away because everything is within walking distance and convenient, whether it's a supermarket or a furniture shop. Here, although it appears the town centre has relocated to Spytty, we still have to travel to the other extremities Newport to exercise choice. I also have to comment on the locations of the town's temporary bus stops. Why, when they all serve parts of Malpas Road, don't the Brynglas, Bettws and Malpas buses leave from the same area ? Although I shouldn't be surprised, in what I've seen of management appointments these days, it appears logic is not a necessary qualification ! I'd like to see M & S and Sports Direct return to the town centre, along with a good selection of shops and interesting restaurants (not chains!) supported by a few decent café/bars (which would've been nice on the riverside, instead of that University!!). Hopefully, these dreams will materialise in time, but I fear the City Centre rates will deter a lot from taking a chance on it. There's something about this country, locally and nationally, that makes lowering prices to encourage more punters unthinkable - along with the need to help and improve the lives of their own people first ! - and it's about time that all changed. AMBERLING
  • Score: 1

9:23am Sat 8 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

I think Sports direct will appeal and Newport Council have not got a leg to stand on. The area is retail and they want to use it for retail. The council may try to argue it was used for leisure but it has been empty for 9 years and with no interest for leisure use and in any case Sports Direct is a retail outfit providing leisure and sports items

It would be Sports Directs largest UK store selling the widest range of goods. There is no way it could be located in the town centre.
I think Sports direct will appeal and Newport Council have not got a leg to stand on. The area is retail and they want to use it for retail. The council may try to argue it was used for leisure but it has been empty for 9 years and with no interest for leisure use and in any case Sports Direct is a retail outfit providing leisure and sports items It would be Sports Directs largest UK store selling the widest range of goods. There is no way it could be located in the town centre. Bobevans
  • Score: 5

10:15am Sat 8 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

They can appeal if they wish but I still feel that newport city council has got this one right. The impact that opening a store of this size would be dramatic on operators of other stores and facilities. There are atleast 6 lesiure facilities in the city and more if you count the smaller gyms. What will happen to the jobs that are lost when the other businesses start to go out of business and the staff cuts in between and instead of an empty building which is large enough to support other uses as well there will be multiple smaller units emptied.

The planning department at the council are finally doing thier jobs and protecting the interests of businesses that will be effected by the development if it went through.

They are not against allowing businesses to move thier as there has been a lot of development at the site in recent years.

Like I said before the owners of the site and newport council have in no doubt had to pander to the big boys of the retail world in the past. But now that the objections are coming from some other company with a bit more clout than joe public things have taken a turn. They should have used up the older empty buildings forst before building anything new. but they didn't. This development has been in the pipeline since mid 2011 so it's nothing new that the council has just decided against.
They can appeal if they wish but I still feel that newport city council has got this one right. The impact that opening a store of this size would be dramatic on operators of other stores and facilities. There are atleast 6 lesiure facilities in the city and more if you count the smaller gyms. What will happen to the jobs that are lost when the other businesses start to go out of business and the staff cuts in between and instead of an empty building which is large enough to support other uses as well there will be multiple smaller units emptied. The planning department at the council are finally doing thier jobs and protecting the interests of businesses that will be effected by the development if it went through. They are not against allowing businesses to move thier as there has been a lot of development at the site in recent years. Like I said before the owners of the site and newport council have in no doubt had to pander to the big boys of the retail world in the past. But now that the objections are coming from some other company with a bit more clout than joe public things have taken a turn. They should have used up the older empty buildings forst before building anything new. but they didn't. This development has been in the pipeline since mid 2011 so it's nothing new that the council has just decided against. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: -3

11:39am Sat 8 Mar 14

Votefornoneoftheabove says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
whatintheworld wrote:
finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre!
Mostly agree with what you say there, though do think that horse bolted when they let Tesco build there.

However, isn't capitalism based on the premise that competition is healthy and good for the consumer? It wold seem to me that Queensbury are trying to stifle any competition, and the council, who will be terrified of anything going wrong now, are letting them get away with it.
" Horse bolted when they let Tesco build there?"

Tesco were already there, they have been there for over 20 years, all they did was upgrade the store.

The retail units opposite have also been there for over 20 years, the problem wasn't Tesco but the council not encouraging stores such as Next, M & S, H & M, and the like to stay in Newport City Centre by helping to support them with lower rates.

I remember the Spytty site when it had Kwik Save and the like over there more than 20 years ago no one complained then, but that was because they had a site in Newport which has since been demolished for the new Admiral offices.

The problem is not the location of the Spytty site or Queensberry as landlords but what could and should have been done to keep big retail chains in Newport originally.
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatintheworld[/bold] wrote: finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre![/p][/quote]Mostly agree with what you say there, though do think that horse bolted when they let Tesco build there. However, isn't capitalism based on the premise that competition is healthy and good for the consumer? It wold seem to me that Queensbury are trying to stifle any competition, and the council, who will be terrified of anything going wrong now, are letting them get away with it.[/p][/quote]" Horse bolted when they let Tesco build there?" Tesco were already there, they have been there for over 20 years, all they did was upgrade the store. The retail units opposite have also been there for over 20 years, the problem wasn't Tesco but the council not encouraging stores such as Next, M & S, H & M, and the like to stay in Newport City Centre by helping to support them with lower rates. I remember the Spytty site when it had Kwik Save and the like over there more than 20 years ago no one complained then, but that was because they had a site in Newport which has since been demolished for the new Admiral offices. The problem is not the location of the Spytty site or Queensberry as landlords but what could and should have been done to keep big retail chains in Newport originally. Votefornoneoftheabove
  • Score: 5

3:46pm Sat 8 Mar 14

grumpyandopinionated says...

Votefornoneoftheabov
e
wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo

m
wrote:
whatintheworld wrote:
finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre!
Mostly agree with what you say there, though do think that horse bolted when they let Tesco build there.

However, isn't capitalism based on the premise that competition is healthy and good for the consumer? It wold seem to me that Queensbury are trying to stifle any competition, and the council, who will be terrified of anything going wrong now, are letting them get away with it.
" Horse bolted when they let Tesco build there?"

Tesco were already there, they have been there for over 20 years, all they did was upgrade the store.

The retail units opposite have also been there for over 20 years, the problem wasn't Tesco but the council not encouraging stores such as Next, M & S, H & M, and the like to stay in Newport City Centre by helping to support them with lower rates.

I remember the Spytty site when it had Kwik Save and the like over there more than 20 years ago no one complained then, but that was because they had a site in Newport which has since been demolished for the new Admiral offices.

The problem is not the location of the Spytty site or Queensberry as landlords but what could and should have been done to keep big retail chains in Newport originally.
The size of the stores that they have over spytty are alot larger than those that they had in the town centre, the town centre could and can not support the size of stores that the large retail outlets require to sustain profitablity. The argument isn't who has moved there or who wants to move there. Newport town needs to invent itself into somewhere that you'll go to browse and support the small retail businesses and encourage the development of restraunts and mixed use within the town.

If you do actually look at cwmbran although they do have large superstores in the town they are still on the frige of the town and pretty much have thier own dedicated car parks. Newport in the past have just simply not had the space in which to do this unless they pull down alot of the old buildings etc.
[quote][p][bold]Votefornoneoftheabov e[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatintheworld[/bold] wrote: finally, councillors consider the impact out-of-town development has on the city centre![/p][/quote]Mostly agree with what you say there, though do think that horse bolted when they let Tesco build there. However, isn't capitalism based on the premise that competition is healthy and good for the consumer? It wold seem to me that Queensbury are trying to stifle any competition, and the council, who will be terrified of anything going wrong now, are letting them get away with it.[/p][/quote]" Horse bolted when they let Tesco build there?" Tesco were already there, they have been there for over 20 years, all they did was upgrade the store. The retail units opposite have also been there for over 20 years, the problem wasn't Tesco but the council not encouraging stores such as Next, M & S, H & M, and the like to stay in Newport City Centre by helping to support them with lower rates. I remember the Spytty site when it had Kwik Save and the like over there more than 20 years ago no one complained then, but that was because they had a site in Newport which has since been demolished for the new Admiral offices. The problem is not the location of the Spytty site or Queensberry as landlords but what could and should have been done to keep big retail chains in Newport originally.[/p][/quote]The size of the stores that they have over spytty are alot larger than those that they had in the town centre, the town centre could and can not support the size of stores that the large retail outlets require to sustain profitablity. The argument isn't who has moved there or who wants to move there. Newport town needs to invent itself into somewhere that you'll go to browse and support the small retail businesses and encourage the development of restraunts and mixed use within the town. If you do actually look at cwmbran although they do have large superstores in the town they are still on the frige of the town and pretty much have thier own dedicated car parks. Newport in the past have just simply not had the space in which to do this unless they pull down alot of the old buildings etc. grumpyandopinionated
  • Score: 2

6:25pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Magor says...

mvaone wrote:
We'll have it at Cwmbran as we are better located with a better bus station and a better town centre,
Plus better roads and free car parks.
[quote][p][bold]mvaone[/bold] wrote: We'll have it at Cwmbran as we are better located with a better bus station and a better town centre,[/p][/quote]Plus better roads and free car parks. Magor
  • Score: 2

6:42pm Sat 8 Mar 14

real comment says...

WHY IS THE TOWN CENTRE EMPTY AND THE OUT OF TOWN SHOPPING CENTRES THRIVING. EASE OF ACCESS AND PARKING THAT IS THE REASON
WHY IS THE TOWN CENTRE EMPTY AND THE OUT OF TOWN SHOPPING CENTRES THRIVING. EASE OF ACCESS AND PARKING THAT IS THE REASON real comment
  • Score: 7

1:59pm Sun 9 Mar 14

welshmen says...

Labour Policies still working I see.....Creating no jobs, refusing 150 jobs, while they continue to demoralise this City same as their last Labour Government done for Great Briton or PC, the UK....
Labour Policies still working I see.....Creating no jobs, refusing 150 jobs, while they continue to demoralise this City same as their last Labour Government done for Great Briton or PC, the UK.... welshmen
  • Score: 4

12:32pm Mon 10 Mar 14

MERoden says...

I agree with grumpyandopinionated
. Newport Council are right to refuse permission to Sports Direct.

Some people are simply too mean to pay a small amount in parking. The Kingsway Centre Car Park is free for the first two hours, and then 2-5 hours
is only £2. You would pay £6-£12 in Cardiff for 4-5 hours parking.
Therefore, anyone that goes to Cardiff can't use parking as an excuse to criticise Newport.

It is a well-known fact that OUT-OF-TOWN Retail Parks DO destroy city centres, which is why I don't go to them. Since Marks and Spencer have moved from Newport City Centre to Newport Retail Park, Spytty, I don't
go there any more. Therefore, they have lost me as a customer, and I know
several people in Newport that don't go to Marks and Spencer any more.

I really don't see what people like so much about Newport Retail Park.
It is a horrible place.

It is about time more people in Newport started supporting the City Centre.
Do what I do. Do your shopping in the city centre. You can buy a complete
meal (i.e. meat, veg and potatoes) in Newport Market, plus there is Iceland.
Fresh Fruit is actually better value in Newport Market than Marks and
Spencer. Cheaper and better quality. At Marks and Spencer, you pay
through the nose for fresh fruit. You are only paying for the Marks and
Spencer label.

Regarding Sports Direct, they have a store in St. David's Shopping Centre
in Cardiff. Therefore, I don't see why they can't open a store in the new
Friars Walk Shopping Centre in Newport City Centre. It would be
really successful there.

Sports Direct's statement regarding 150 jobs. 150 is a real exaggeration.
It would not create 150 jobs at all. They already have a store at Newport
Retail Park, Spytty.
I agree with grumpyandopinionated . Newport Council are right to refuse permission to Sports Direct. Some people are simply too mean to pay a small amount in parking. The Kingsway Centre Car Park is free for the first two hours, and then 2-5 hours is only £2. You would pay £6-£12 in Cardiff for 4-5 hours parking. Therefore, anyone that goes to Cardiff can't use parking as an excuse to criticise Newport. It is a well-known fact that OUT-OF-TOWN Retail Parks DO destroy city centres, which is why I don't go to them. Since Marks and Spencer have moved from Newport City Centre to Newport Retail Park, Spytty, I don't go there any more. Therefore, they have lost me as a customer, and I know several people in Newport that don't go to Marks and Spencer any more. I really don't see what people like so much about Newport Retail Park. It is a horrible place. It is about time more people in Newport started supporting the City Centre. Do what I do. Do your shopping in the city centre. You can buy a complete meal (i.e. meat, veg and potatoes) in Newport Market, plus there is Iceland. Fresh Fruit is actually better value in Newport Market than Marks and Spencer. Cheaper and better quality. At Marks and Spencer, you pay through the nose for fresh fruit. You are only paying for the Marks and Spencer label. Regarding Sports Direct, they have a store in St. David's Shopping Centre in Cardiff. Therefore, I don't see why they can't open a store in the new Friars Walk Shopping Centre in Newport City Centre. It would be really successful there. Sports Direct's statement regarding 150 jobs. 150 is a real exaggeration. It would not create 150 jobs at all. They already have a store at Newport Retail Park, Spytty. MERoden
  • Score: -2

6:22pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Independentvoter says...

real comment wrote:
WHY IS THE TOWN CENTRE EMPTY AND THE OUT OF TOWN SHOPPING CENTRES THRIVING. EASE OF ACCESS AND PARKING THAT IS THE REASON
And theirs no beggars or drunks hanging around their we can just get on with our shopping
[quote][p][bold]real comment[/bold] wrote: WHY IS THE TOWN CENTRE EMPTY AND THE OUT OF TOWN SHOPPING CENTRES THRIVING. EASE OF ACCESS AND PARKING THAT IS THE REASON[/p][/quote]And theirs no beggars or drunks hanging around their we can just get on with our shopping Independentvoter
  • Score: 0

8:43pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Captain Tripps says...

welshmen wrote:
Labour Policies still working I see.....Creating no jobs, refusing 150 jobs, while they continue to demoralise this City same as their last Labour Government done for Great Briton or PC, the UK....
Well said that man
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Labour Policies still working I see.....Creating no jobs, refusing 150 jobs, while they continue to demoralise this City same as their last Labour Government done for Great Briton or PC, the UK....[/p][/quote]Well said that man Captain Tripps
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree