Gwent gears up for England v Wales

Gwent gears up for England v Wales

England v Wales. Kevin Gwyn Jones from Caldicot and Terry Carey from Hainault in East London are ready for Sunday's game. (4464774)

England v Wales. Kevin Gwyn Jones from Caldicot and Terry Carey from Hainault in East London are ready for Sunday's game. (4464787)

England v Wales. Kevin Gwyn Jones from Caldicot and Terry Carey from Hainault in East London are ready for Sunday's game. (4464809)

England v Wales. Kevin Gwyn Jones from Caldicot and Terry Carey from Hainault in East London are ready for Sunday’s game. (4465104)

Cllr Geoff Burrows

First published in News
Last updated

WALES v England is one of the oldest rugby rivalries in Britiain - and in a border area like Gwent, some will find their loyalties divided tomorrow.

In some households and workplaces, tomorrow's Six Nations match will turn husband against wife, friend against friend, workmate against workmate.

In Chepstow, the Coach and Horses pub will divide itself into two, with the English side of the border town pub bedecked with the flag of St George, while the Welsh side will fly the flag for God’s Own Country.

Chepstow residents will show their loyalty by choosing one side or the other of the pub to watch the game.

Landlord Ian Meyrick said: “Chepstow is very much a border town and while places like Newport and Cardiff are pretty much Welsh, Chepstow is roughly 50/50, which is why we decorate the pub.

“We always have a great laugh with the winning side taking the mick out of the losing side, it’s a jolly good banter.”

Visitor Terry Carey, from London, said: “We came up for the racing and the rugby, but we didn’t realise the pub did this – it’s fantastic. I will definitely be on the English side on Sunday cheering the boys on. It should be great craic.”

Mitchel Troy councillor Geoff Burrows said: “I’ve lived in Wales for 34 years now and my wife Tina is Welsh, but I will most definitely support England. There will be some real tension in the Burrows household on Sunday – Tina says when England do well I am triumphalist while when Wales do well she is magnanimous. I will probably be outnumbered but I will be backing England all the way.”

In Abergavenny, the Baker household won’t see too much of a fight as Reading-born Julian Baker has adopted Wales as his team of choice.

“I always supported England even though I mainly grew up in Wales,” he said. “But when I took my daughter out on a rugby day a few years ago, and she was proudly wearing her rugby shirt and hat, I looked at her and realised both my daughters are 100 per cent Welsh, as is my wife, Christine, and I felt I am too. It’s definitely an easier life supporting Wales in a family of Welsh women!”

A less harmonious household will be found in Ebbw Vale, when Blaenau Gwent Council worker Chris Smith and his five sons will outnumber his Welsh wife six to one.He said: “I’m from London originally and have lived in Wales since 1985, but my five sons were all born in England and we are all England supporters. My wife will be in her Wales top come Sunday, while we will wear our England tops. But I’m sure my friends and neighbours will rib me if we lose.”

Gareth Bounds, 28, is assistant golf manager at the Celtic Manor Resort. He is a loyal Welsh rugby supporter, but his boss isn’t.

He said: “We’ve had a wager the past few years, but he’s never paid up. He always gets a bit of stick. I’ll definitely be mentioning it on Monday. If we lose I’ll try my best to avoid him, but he’d probably find a way to get me to his office.”

Matt Barnby, 32 is operational golf manager at the resort. He denied knowledge of the wagers and said: “My mum’s English and my dad is Welsh, but I’m English when it comes to rugby. I think England will pip it. It’s a big deal when you’re English working in Wales. It goes on for the whole year, getting reminded about it."

London-born Monmouth MP David Davies, who grew up in Newport, said there is no question of him supporting anyone but Wales. He said: “I’m very excited about the game, as is my son, so I’m sure we will be watching it together.We wish Wales all the very best, and know we will do well - especially with the excellent Sam Warburton who recently pointed out you can be proud to be both Welsh and British.”

The match kicks off at 3pm tomorrow.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:04am Sat 8 Mar 14

Casnewydd lad says...

Come on wales!!!!!! It will be a close game
Come on wales!!!!!! It will be a close game Casnewydd lad
  • Score: 0

10:40am Sat 8 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

The Wales under 20's got slaughtered 67-7 hopefully that's a sign of what's to come on Sunday.
The Wales under 20's got slaughtered 67-7 hopefully that's a sign of what's to come on Sunday. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: -12

11:51am Sat 8 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

It will be closer than most think, England has learnt some lessons since last time, we need to stay awake, or get a repeat of the Irish game, when we forgot to to turn up. The Achilles heel of welsh rugby is continuity, having played well in one game we feel no shame losing the next six, we need to get the mind set right. New Zealand are expected to win every game, and mostly do. Not always pretty but they win. We have professional Rugby now, it isn't a Saturday turn out with the lads any more, we expect that professionalism to show itself. Wales to win of course :) Let them eat Twickenham turf...
It will be closer than most think, England has learnt some lessons since last time, we need to stay awake, or get a repeat of the Irish game, when we forgot to to turn up. The Achilles heel of welsh rugby is continuity, having played well in one game we feel no shame losing the next six, we need to get the mind set right. New Zealand are expected to win every game, and mostly do. Not always pretty but they win. We have professional Rugby now, it isn't a Saturday turn out with the lads any more, we expect that professionalism to show itself. Wales to win of course :) Let them eat Twickenham turf... Mervyn James
  • Score: -4

12:57pm Sat 8 Mar 14

white white says...

Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it
politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there
always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying
To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport
Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football
If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because
It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at
3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES
Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at 3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES white white
  • Score: -3

1:54pm Sat 8 Mar 14

foxy3rd says...

Lovely comment from Julian Baker supporting his daughters. :-)
Lovely comment from Julian Baker supporting his daughters. :-) foxy3rd
  • Score: 1

2:01pm Sat 8 Mar 14

welshmen says...

Last year Wales 30 England 3, I don't see a change to that out come, Wales have had their warm up game and lost, now show the rest of the world, your the best team, Wales 35, England 17....at HQ
Last year Wales 30 England 3, I don't see a change to that out come, Wales have had their warm up game and lost, now show the rest of the world, your the best team, Wales 35, England 17....at HQ welshmen
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

white white wrote:
Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it
politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there
always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying
To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport
Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football
If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because
It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at
3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES
'Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football'

Lol. Something amiss with that statement methinks.
[quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at 3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES[/p][/quote]'Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football' Lol. Something amiss with that statement methinks. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 2

4:32pm Sat 8 Mar 14

white white says...

white white wrote:
Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it
politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there
always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying
To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport
Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football
If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because
It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at
3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES
Silly error,no surprise I meant rugby is England's 3rd
Sport behind cricket andfootball
[quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at 3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES[/p][/quote]Silly error,no surprise I meant rugby is England's 3rd Sport behind cricket andfootball white white
  • Score: -2

5:35pm Sat 8 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

white white wrote:
white white wrote:
Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it
politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there
always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying
To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport
Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football
If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because
It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at
3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES
Silly error,no surprise I meant rugby is England's 3rd
Sport behind cricket andfootball
You're wrong. It's football - rugby - cricket. Though obvioulsy it should be rugby - cricket - football.
[quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at 3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES[/p][/quote]Silly error,no surprise I meant rugby is England's 3rd Sport behind cricket andfootball[/p][/quote]You're wrong. It's football - rugby - cricket. Though obvioulsy it should be rugby - cricket - football. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 0

7:55pm Sat 8 Mar 14

white white says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
white white wrote:
Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it
politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there
always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying
To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport
Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football
If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because
It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at
3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES
'Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football'

Lol. Something amiss with that statement methinks.
Yes I admitted that ,it's a goof up on my part
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at 3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES[/p][/quote]'Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football' Lol. Something amiss with that statement methinks.[/p][/quote]Yes I admitted that ,it's a goof up on my part white white
  • Score: -1

8:00pm Sat 8 Mar 14

white white says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
white white wrote:
white white wrote:
Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it
politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there
always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying
To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport
Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football
If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because
It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at
3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES
Silly error,no surprise I meant rugby is England's 3rd
Sport behind cricket andfootball
You're wrong. It's football - rugby - cricket. Though obvioulsy it should be rugby - cricket - football.
Ok fair enough ,but I'm sure some big sports pundit stated
that cricket is England's national sport I thought it was wrong
When he said it but fine by me ,don't like cricket much . But lots of people do
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]white white[/bold] wrote: Oh dear,some people do anything to stir up trouble be it politicians,or 2nd class rags like the swa and London based media there always been a rivalry between uk sports teams I think Sam w.was trying To be tactfull ,but in this case to Wales it's a way of life and our national sport Whilst in England it's there 2nd sport after cricket and football If we win(wales) brilliant if we lose it will be gut wrenching not because It's England but because our chances of an unprecedented attempt at 3rd year as champions Wil be over ,but then again we have to get past Scotland don't write them off,,,,,,,,,,,,,COME ON WALES[/p][/quote]Silly error,no surprise I meant rugby is England's 3rd Sport behind cricket andfootball[/p][/quote]You're wrong. It's football - rugby - cricket. Though obvioulsy it should be rugby - cricket - football.[/p][/quote]Ok fair enough ,but I'm sure some big sports pundit stated that cricket is England's national sport I thought it was wrong When he said it but fine by me ,don't like cricket much . But lots of people do white white
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree