Isolation fears over Torfaen bus cuts
4:25pm Thursday 1st May 2014 in News
PLANS to cut Torfaen bus services have raised major concern among residents and councillors alike amid fears that many people – and particularly the elderly – may be left isolated.
Earlier this month, Stagecoach Bus said it would have to cut the size of its fleet in Wales by 10 per cent, while discontinuing or reducing the frequency of a number of services, due to drastic cuts in investment by the Welsh Government.
Blaenavon resident Christine Lee said she could have cried when she heard the news. “I don’t drive, so the number 30 has been my lifeline,” said the 66-year-old.
“I have tried so hard to be independent since my husband’s death but I won’t be able to go to the doctors or do my shopping. I’ll be cut off.”
Chairman of Pontypool Community Council and Abersychan ward councillor Giles Davies has written to Lynne Neagle AM to call a meeting.
In a letter to his fellow ward councillors he said: “The village will be cut off all together, this I hope you agree is unacceptable as you can’t isolate a whole village.”
A meeting is expected to be held with Older Persons’ Champion Cllr Lewis Jones.
Blaenavon councillors said they would look to engage with Paul Murphy MP, at a town council meeting.
Councillors said they were angry and disappointed, and encouraged petitions from residents.
Talks are said to be ongoing between the council and Stagecoach to mitigate the affect of the cuts.
Comments are closed on this article.