Should Newport Monopoly be in Welsh and English?

South Wales Argus: WELSD DECISION: Monopoly Development Director Dan Taylor playing the game on top of the Transporter Bridge in Newport WELSD DECISION: Monopoly Development Director Dan Taylor playing the game on top of the Transporter Bridge in Newport

MONOPOLY fans are being asked to decide whether the Newport edition of the game should be in both English and Welsh.

Game makers are asking Newportonians whether the iconic game should be produced in just English or in Welsh as well.

This comes as the votes are in and have been counted for the customised board for the city, following an public consultation.

“The public is fairly split on this one, though slightly in favour of just the one English language,” said Dan Taylor, the London games man in charge of the design and production of this board.

Twenty two Newport property sites will replace the famous London Monopoly streets.

The Transporter Bridge will be on the board – the very first landmark to be confirmed by the makers. “It proved hugely popular in the polling,” said Dan Taylor, Monopoly development director at Winning Moves UK, who have the official license from Monopoly owners Hasbro to produce this board.

Mr Taylor says he believes the board will immortalise Newport “forever – past, present and future.”He added: “A very big thank you to everyone who has sent in nominations.”

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:40pm Fri 23 May 14

-trigg- says...

Should Newport Monopoly be in Welsh and English?

No. Next.
Should Newport Monopoly be in Welsh and English? No. Next. -trigg-
  • Score: 17

4:21pm Fri 23 May 14

Nospin_1 says...

ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.
ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh. Nospin_1
  • Score: 4

10:09pm Fri 23 May 14

displayed says...

"Should Newport Monopoly be in Welsh and English?"

Newport is a part of Wales, it is not specifically an Welsh speakin county!
In matters of law and regulations: "the English language shall prevail".

This should also apply to the game of Monopoly!
"Should Newport Monopoly be in Welsh and English?" Newport is a part of Wales, it is not specifically an Welsh speakin county! In matters of law and regulations: "the English language shall prevail". This should also apply to the game of Monopoly! displayed
  • Score: -3

12:35pm Sat 24 May 14

Carwyn Jones says...

It should be in Welsh only to encourage people to learn our glorious language.
It should be in Welsh only to encourage people to learn our glorious language. Carwyn Jones
  • Score: -26

12:48pm Sat 24 May 14

YazPad-But says...

"whether the Newport edition of the game should be in both English and Welsh." No, no, no, no ,no, NO! English only. A Welsh version should be entirely separate and available if Welsh speakers want it. If this edition of Monopoly is supposed to represent Newport then Welsh would definitely not be the second language.
"whether the Newport edition of the game should be in both English and Welsh." No, no, no, no ,no, NO! English only. A Welsh version should be entirely separate and available if Welsh speakers want it. If this edition of Monopoly is supposed to represent Newport then Welsh would definitely not be the second language. YazPad-But
  • Score: 14

12:57pm Sat 24 May 14

Llanmartinangel says...

They should make a Welsh version and an English version. We could then see just how many of each would sell, giving us the real numbers of speakers here and not the made up numbers being quoted by WAG.
They should make a Welsh version and an English version. We could then see just how many of each would sell, giving us the real numbers of speakers here and not the made up numbers being quoted by WAG. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 21

1:04pm Sat 24 May 14

Fingers On The Pulse says...

I hope this story is only to create a bit of PR as if not it is a bit worrying. Its bad enough that our council has to create every bit of literature bi-lingually therefore wasting precious tax payers money that could be spent on . . . oh I don`t know, public services perhaps?
I hope this story is only to create a bit of PR as if not it is a bit worrying. Its bad enough that our council has to create every bit of literature bi-lingually therefore wasting precious tax payers money that could be spent on . . . oh I don`t know, public services perhaps? Fingers On The Pulse
  • Score: 11

1:09pm Sat 24 May 14

Skully says...

How about English on one side and Welsh on the other for the board.
Oh, then there's the playing cards. have to either be bi-lingual or two
separate packs.
Welsh only would discourage people purchasing and learning about
Newport.
How have the Welsh speaking played Monopoly in the past?
How about English on one side and Welsh on the other for the board. Oh, then there's the playing cards. have to either be bi-lingual or two separate packs. Welsh only would discourage people purchasing and learning about Newport. How have the Welsh speaking played Monopoly in the past? Skully
  • Score: 11

1:44pm Sat 24 May 14

G Unit's Exile Down Under says...

I'm originally from the Port and it annoys me how small minded comments can be on the SWA site. If you go to the old cemeteries in Newport you will see that many of the earlier tomb stones are enscripted in Welsh. This means it is part of our roots so why not embrace it? My nan was punished in school for speaking Welsh in Newport so the vestiges of it remained not that long ago (discouraged by old fashioned Anglo 'millitant economic immigrants'). I can only speak a little bit of pigeon Welsh but I think a bilingual edition makes sense. It gives us an identity not just a boring monoglot English bent. I'm no raving nationalist but I am proud of Newport and Wales (and the UK too). Living overseas I can tell you I've taken quite a few foreign visitors home and they love the notable differences when crossing the border from England eg road signs. Take it away and we lose something - think about it? Nothing to do with being anti English at all (I'm not in the slightest) - just about keeping our identity. I'd tell the Cornish to do the same and think England should also preserve its cultures. In continental Europe this is largely celebrated - eg Catalans or Bavarians why not us?
I'm originally from the Port and it annoys me how small minded comments can be on the SWA site. If you go to the old cemeteries in Newport you will see that many of the earlier tomb stones are enscripted in Welsh. This means it is part of our roots so why not embrace it? My nan was punished in school for speaking Welsh in Newport so the vestiges of it remained not that long ago (discouraged by old fashioned Anglo 'millitant economic immigrants'). I can only speak a little bit of pigeon Welsh but I think a bilingual edition makes sense. It gives us an identity not just a boring monoglot English bent. I'm no raving nationalist but I am proud of Newport and Wales (and the UK too). Living overseas I can tell you I've taken quite a few foreign visitors home and they love the notable differences when crossing the border from England eg road signs. Take it away and we lose something - think about it? Nothing to do with being anti English at all (I'm not in the slightest) - just about keeping our identity. I'd tell the Cornish to do the same and think England should also preserve its cultures. In continental Europe this is largely celebrated - eg Catalans or Bavarians why not us? G Unit's Exile Down Under
  • Score: 8

1:46pm Sat 24 May 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

Yes, there's nothing stopping any board game being bilingual - a bit like Ouija boards (btw. originally marketed in Edwardian times as a 'harmless' toy lol:), their name is constructed from Oui and Ja ergo Yes and No in French and German.
Yes, there's nothing stopping any board game being bilingual - a bit like Ouija boards (btw. originally marketed in Edwardian times as a 'harmless' toy lol:), their name is constructed from Oui and Ja ergo Yes and No in French and German. Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: -2

1:52pm Sat 24 May 14

Charlie1501 says...

In all honesty, how many people in Newport speak Welsh?. My bet would be not many.
In all honesty, how many people in Newport speak Welsh?. My bet would be not many. Charlie1501
  • Score: 10

2:21pm Sat 24 May 14

catlady wales says...

I laughed, when you go to usk, it is Brynbuga in Welsh. Make it by- lingual and people can use it to learn in both languages.
I laughed, when you go to usk, it is Brynbuga in Welsh. Make it by- lingual and people can use it to learn in both languages. catlady wales
  • Score: -10

4:02pm Sat 24 May 14

Warbles says...

One might even learn how to spell BI-lingual!!!
One might even learn how to spell BI-lingual!!! Warbles
  • Score: -6

4:34pm Sat 24 May 14

paddyparry says...

Katie Re-Registered wrote:
Yes, there's nothing stopping any board game being bilingual - a bit like Ouija boards (btw. originally marketed in Edwardian times as a 'harmless' toy lol:), their name is constructed from Oui and Ja ergo Yes and No in French and German.
Bad luck, Katie. That would be s ouinein board or a janon one.
[quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: Yes, there's nothing stopping any board game being bilingual - a bit like Ouija boards (btw. originally marketed in Edwardian times as a 'harmless' toy lol:), their name is constructed from Oui and Ja ergo Yes and No in French and German.[/p][/quote]Bad luck, Katie. That would be s ouinein board or a janon one. paddyparry
  • Score: 1

5:09pm Sat 24 May 14

Woodgnome says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
They should make a Welsh version and an English version. We could then see just how many of each would sell, giving us the real numbers of speakers here and not the made up numbers being quoted by WAG.
Will either sell at all? Does anybody in fact play Monopoly any more? Certainly modern computer game kids would find it far too slow and boring
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: They should make a Welsh version and an English version. We could then see just how many of each would sell, giving us the real numbers of speakers here and not the made up numbers being quoted by WAG.[/p][/quote]Will either sell at all? Does anybody in fact play Monopoly any more? Certainly modern computer game kids would find it far too slow and boring Woodgnome
  • Score: -8

6:20pm Sat 24 May 14

Foxyboy3rd says...

If anyone looks back a bit on the list of Mayors of Newport they will see the old Welsh names complete with the ap ( son of ).
If anyone looks back a bit on the list of Mayors of Newport they will see the old Welsh names complete with the ap ( son of ). Foxyboy3rd
  • Score: -2

6:47pm Sat 24 May 14

Mike0408 says...

Nospin_1 wrote:
ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.
so shouldn't it be in English and polish or English and what ever language these Muslims talk in??
[quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.[/p][/quote]so shouldn't it be in English and polish or English and what ever language these Muslims talk in?? Mike0408
  • Score: -12

7:55pm Sat 24 May 14

WELSH BUDDAH says...

G Unit's Exile Down Under wrote:
I'm originally from the Port and it annoys me how small minded comments can be on the SWA site. If you go to the old cemeteries in Newport you will see that many of the earlier tomb stones are enscripted in Welsh. This means it is part of our roots so why not embrace it? My nan was punished in school for speaking Welsh in Newport so the vestiges of it remained not that long ago (discouraged by old fashioned Anglo 'millitant economic immigrants'). I can only speak a little bit of pigeon Welsh but I think a bilingual edition makes sense. It gives us an identity not just a boring monoglot English bent. I'm no raving nationalist but I am proud of Newport and Wales (and the UK too). Living overseas I can tell you I've taken quite a few foreign visitors home and they love the notable differences when crossing the border from England eg road signs. Take it away and we lose something - think about it? Nothing to do with being anti English at all (I'm not in the slightest) - just about keeping our identity. I'd tell the Cornish to do the same and think England should also preserve its cultures. In continental Europe this is largely celebrated - eg Catalans or Bavarians why not us?
I totally agree with what you say and the comments are always Anti Welsh. If the comments was against another nation they would stop the comments because it would be racist. And yes your history of punishment for specking Welsh was so wrong, we should take a look around and keep our cultures alive. For the record if the Newport Monopoly was in Welsh I would purchase it if it's in English then no. The reason is I was a Newport boy but it has nothing now so it would not interest me in English, there are so many different cultures in Newport may it could be in 50 other languages.CYMRU AM BYTH
[quote][p][bold]G Unit's Exile Down Under[/bold] wrote: I'm originally from the Port and it annoys me how small minded comments can be on the SWA site. If you go to the old cemeteries in Newport you will see that many of the earlier tomb stones are enscripted in Welsh. This means it is part of our roots so why not embrace it? My nan was punished in school for speaking Welsh in Newport so the vestiges of it remained not that long ago (discouraged by old fashioned Anglo 'millitant economic immigrants'). I can only speak a little bit of pigeon Welsh but I think a bilingual edition makes sense. It gives us an identity not just a boring monoglot English bent. I'm no raving nationalist but I am proud of Newport and Wales (and the UK too). Living overseas I can tell you I've taken quite a few foreign visitors home and they love the notable differences when crossing the border from England eg road signs. Take it away and we lose something - think about it? Nothing to do with being anti English at all (I'm not in the slightest) - just about keeping our identity. I'd tell the Cornish to do the same and think England should also preserve its cultures. In continental Europe this is largely celebrated - eg Catalans or Bavarians why not us?[/p][/quote]I totally agree with what you say and the comments are always Anti Welsh. If the comments was against another nation they would stop the comments because it would be racist. And yes your history of punishment for specking Welsh was so wrong, we should take a look around and keep our cultures alive. For the record if the Newport Monopoly was in Welsh I would purchase it if it's in English then no. The reason is I was a Newport boy but it has nothing now so it would not interest me in English, there are so many different cultures in Newport may it could be in 50 other languages.CYMRU AM BYTH WELSH BUDDAH
  • Score: 3

8:45pm Sat 24 May 14

Independentvoter says...

Katie Re-Registered wrote:
Yes, there's nothing stopping any board game being bilingual - a bit like Ouija boards (btw. originally marketed in Edwardian times as a 'harmless' toy lol:), their name is constructed from Oui and Ja ergo Yes and No in French and German.
Bi - lingual - bi-sexual - bye -bye
[quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: Yes, there's nothing stopping any board game being bilingual - a bit like Ouija boards (btw. originally marketed in Edwardian times as a 'harmless' toy lol:), their name is constructed from Oui and Ja ergo Yes and No in French and German.[/p][/quote]Bi - lingual - bi-sexual - bye -bye Independentvoter
  • Score: -4

9:13pm Sat 24 May 14

bobmech1 says...

Polish
Polish bobmech1
  • Score: -6

2:09am Sun 25 May 14

Carwyn Jones says...

Mike0408 wrote:
Nospin_1 wrote:
ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.
so shouldn't it be in English and polish or English and what ever language these Muslims talk in??
"Whatever language these Muslims talk in??"

A troll surely?
[quote][p][bold]Mike0408[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.[/p][/quote]so shouldn't it be in English and polish or English and what ever language these Muslims talk in??[/p][/quote]"Whatever language these Muslims talk in??" A troll surely? Carwyn Jones
  • Score: 0

2:22am Sun 25 May 14

G Unit's Exile Down Under says...

Warbles thanks for underlining my point about comments being small-minded! If that is all you've got in response then I rest my case........ As they say in Australia and NZ, play the ball not the man!

Foxy boy - a good point re the old mayors - thanks. Cat lady - has it ever crossed your mind that English names may also sound funny / odd to people who speak another native language?

My view is Newport should embrace its past and the 'newly' arrived cultures. Only then can it truly move forward from its current malaise. It has potential - it just needs to be tapped with the right attitudes.........
Warbles thanks for underlining my point about comments being small-minded! If that is all you've got in response then I rest my case........ As they say in Australia and NZ, play the ball not the man! Foxy boy - a good point re the old mayors - thanks. Cat lady - has it ever crossed your mind that English names may also sound funny / odd to people who speak another native language? My view is Newport should embrace its past and the 'newly' arrived cultures. Only then can it truly move forward from its current malaise. It has potential - it just needs to be tapped with the right attitudes......... G Unit's Exile Down Under
  • Score: -1

10:26am Sun 25 May 14

Woodgnome says...

It's a complete hoot. Everybody getting themselves wound up by an outdated board game that nobody plays any more and none of the posters on here will ever buy!!!
Wake up! This is just a marketing ploy to sell games nobody wants.
It's a complete hoot. Everybody getting themselves wound up by an outdated board game that nobody plays any more and none of the posters on here will ever buy!!! Wake up! This is just a marketing ploy to sell games nobody wants. Woodgnome
  • Score: -2

11:43am Sun 25 May 14

sarahcwmbran says...

The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.
The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both. sarahcwmbran
  • Score: -10

12:54pm Sun 25 May 14

G Unit's Exile Down Under says...

Good on you Sarah from Cwmbran - your children will thank you immeasurably for that I reckon. So much research indicates kids with 2 languages learn better generally and tend to be more successful overall than single language kids. It will help them with other languages too. Plus they will have more connection with their own country - win win win! :)
Good on you Sarah from Cwmbran - your children will thank you immeasurably for that I reckon. So much research indicates kids with 2 languages learn better generally and tend to be more successful overall than single language kids. It will help them with other languages too. Plus they will have more connection with their own country - win win win! :) G Unit's Exile Down Under
  • Score: -4

2:06pm Sun 25 May 14

Dee-Gee says...

sarahcwmbran wrote:
The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.
It's "speak English", not talk english, and "you're" not "your". You need to remove the word "either" from that sentence, because you're not offering two choices. Also, using "it" instead of "Welsh" means you just said that people only speak English because they're too lazy to learn to speak English, which makes no sense. You'd be better off spending some time improving your English before learning a second language, otherwise you'll end up speaking (and writing) both quite badly.

(I'm not usually a grammar pedant on forums, but it seemed relevant since we're talking about language.)
[quote][p][bold]sarahcwmbran[/bold] wrote: The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.[/p][/quote]It's "speak English", not talk english, and "you're" not "your". You need to remove the word "either" from that sentence, because you're not offering two choices. Also, using "it" instead of "Welsh" means you just said that people only speak English because they're too lazy to learn to speak English, which makes no sense. You'd be better off spending some time improving your English before learning a second language, otherwise you'll end up speaking (and writing) both quite badly. (I'm not usually a grammar pedant on forums, but it seemed relevant since we're talking about language.) Dee-Gee
  • Score: 3

10:23pm Mon 26 May 14

sarahcwmbran says...

Dee-Gee wrote:
sarahcwmbran wrote:
The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.
It's "speak English", not talk english, and "you're" not "your". You need to remove the word "either" from that sentence, because you're not offering two choices. Also, using "it" instead of "Welsh" means you just said that people only speak English because they're too lazy to learn to speak English, which makes no sense. You'd be better off spending some time improving your English before learning a second language, otherwise you'll end up speaking (and writing) both quite badly.

(I'm not usually a grammar pedant on forums, but it seemed relevant since we're talking about language.)
The only reason you are looking at my grammer is because you know that what I am trying to say is corrct.
[quote][p][bold]Dee-Gee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sarahcwmbran[/bold] wrote: The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.[/p][/quote]It's "speak English", not talk english, and "you're" not "your". You need to remove the word "either" from that sentence, because you're not offering two choices. Also, using "it" instead of "Welsh" means you just said that people only speak English because they're too lazy to learn to speak English, which makes no sense. You'd be better off spending some time improving your English before learning a second language, otherwise you'll end up speaking (and writing) both quite badly. (I'm not usually a grammar pedant on forums, but it seemed relevant since we're talking about language.)[/p][/quote]The only reason you are looking at my grammer is because you know that what I am trying to say is corrct. sarahcwmbran
  • Score: -4

11:18am Tue 27 May 14

-trigg- says...

They might as well print the rules in Welsh, since nobody bothers to read them anyway
They might as well print the rules in Welsh, since nobody bothers to read them anyway -trigg-
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Tue 27 May 14

Gareth says...

Mike0408 wrote:
Nospin_1 wrote:
ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.
so shouldn't it be in English and polish or English and what ever language these Muslims talk in??
Which language do you think Muslims speak, Mike? I'll give you a hint: the same languages as Christians speak.

You see, Mike, a person's language - more specifically their first language for most people born outside the UK - is defined by their location, not their religion. Let's see if I can explain this...

A place is a geographic location, Mike, like England and France and Merthyr and... y'know, those things you find in an Atlas (that's a type of book, Mike, with pictures and everything).

And the place that people (that's humans, Mike) are socialised (brought up/educated/taught right and wrong...) will determine the language they speak.

A person socialised in Poland, for example, will more likely than not speak Polish (no Mike, the language Polish - pronounced Poe-lish - and not that can of cleaning agent) as a first language.

A person socialised in England, as another example, will speak English as a first language.

Keeping up, Mike?

Jolly good...

Now Islam (that's the religion of a Muslim, Mike) is... well... a religion... not a place. Going back to what we've learned today, Mike, we know that a person's language is based on what? Go on. Give it a go fella. P. Plaaaa. That's it PLACE!

And as you can see, 'place' and 'religion' are not only written, pronounced and look different, they ARE different! Hold onto your hat here, Mike, but a person's religion is not determined by the place they were socialised!

What a shocker to the system dot com, huh!

Believe it or not, Mike, people of religion, whichever it may be, are born and socialised in many different countries. Ever heard of the Greek or Russian Orthodox churches, MIke? Christians would you believe! IN RUSSIA! IN GREECE (that's the country where Greeks live, Mike).

Now I will hold up my hands and say that I've never visited either, and I'd happily be educated on this matter from a learned poster, but I can pretty much guess that they don't share a single language, Mike.

But this still doesn't answer your question, Mike. What language do these Muslims speak: I could answer it. I hope you can now answer it.

But I'm pretty darned sure the best answer would come from Cpl Salim Mohammad, Mike. He was born in Merthyr 25 years ago, and is currently abroad fighting for your right to ignorance and contempt towards him and his values.
[quote][p][bold]Mike0408[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nospin_1[/bold] wrote: ENglish only!!, The board is there to represent Newport so if there is a second language in Newport it is not welsh.[/p][/quote]so shouldn't it be in English and polish or English and what ever language these Muslims talk in??[/p][/quote]Which language do you think Muslims speak, Mike? I'll give you a hint: the same languages as Christians speak. You see, Mike, a person's language - more specifically their first language for most people born outside the UK - is defined by their location, not their religion. Let's see if I can explain this... A place is a geographic location, Mike, like England and France and Merthyr and... y'know, those things you find in an Atlas (that's a type of book, Mike, with pictures and everything). And the place that people (that's humans, Mike) are socialised (brought up/educated/taught right and wrong...) will determine the language they speak. A person socialised in Poland, for example, will more likely than not speak Polish (no Mike, the language Polish - pronounced Poe-lish - and not that can of cleaning agent) as a first language. A person socialised in England, as another example, will speak English as a first language. Keeping up, Mike? Jolly good... Now Islam (that's the religion of a Muslim, Mike) is... well... a religion... not a place. Going back to what we've learned today, Mike, we know that a person's language is based on what? Go on. Give it a go fella. P. Plaaaa. That's it PLACE! And as you can see, 'place' and 'religion' are not only written, pronounced and look different, they ARE different! Hold onto your hat here, Mike, but a person's religion is not determined by the place they were socialised! What a shocker to the system dot com, huh! Believe it or not, Mike, people of religion, whichever it may be, are born and socialised in many different countries. Ever heard of the Greek or Russian Orthodox churches, MIke? Christians would you believe! IN RUSSIA! IN GREECE (that's the country where Greeks live, Mike). Now I will hold up my hands and say that I've never visited either, and I'd happily be educated on this matter from a learned poster, but I can pretty much guess that they don't share a single language, Mike. But this still doesn't answer your question, Mike. What language do these Muslims speak: I could answer it. I hope you can now answer it. But I'm pretty darned sure the best answer would come from Cpl Salim Mohammad, Mike. He was born in Merthyr 25 years ago, and is currently abroad fighting for your right to ignorance and contempt towards him and his values. Gareth
  • Score: 4

3:30pm Tue 27 May 14

-trigg- says...

Gareth, Whilst I understand and applaud your intentions in your post, you do neglect to mention that many religions are particularly dominant in certain regions (see they do look fairly similar when written after all!). These regions with their dominant religions will also tend to have a dominant language, to the point where that language is inextricably linked to the religion. The holy writings and rituals of that religion would be in that self-same language.

A classic example would be the link between Catholic Christianity and Latin, due to the spritual (pun intended) home of that religion being based in Italy. Indeed, it is only in relatively modern times that the bible has been available in English and even more recently that mass started being celebrated in anything other than Latin.

A similar language/religion link can be drawn between Protestantism and English, Judaism and Hebrew and yes, Islam and Arabic.
Gareth, Whilst I understand and applaud your intentions in your post, you do neglect to mention that many religions are particularly dominant in certain regions (see they do look fairly similar when written after all!). These regions with their dominant religions will also tend to have a dominant language, to the point where that language is inextricably linked to the religion. The holy writings and rituals of that religion would be in that self-same language. A classic example would be the link between Catholic Christianity and Latin, due to the spritual (pun intended) home of that religion being based in Italy. Indeed, it is only in relatively modern times that the bible has been available in English and even more recently that mass started being celebrated in anything other than Latin. A similar language/religion link can be drawn between Protestantism and English, Judaism and Hebrew and yes, Islam and Arabic. -trigg-
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Tue 27 May 14

Llanmartinangel says...

sarahcwmbran wrote:
Dee-Gee wrote:
sarahcwmbran wrote:
The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.
It's "speak English", not talk english, and "you're" not "your". You need to remove the word "either" from that sentence, because you're not offering two choices. Also, using "it" instead of "Welsh" means you just said that people only speak English because they're too lazy to learn to speak English, which makes no sense. You'd be better off spending some time improving your English before learning a second language, otherwise you'll end up speaking (and writing) both quite badly.

(I'm not usually a grammar pedant on forums, but it seemed relevant since we're talking about language.)
The only reason you are looking at my grammer is because you know that what I am trying to say is corrct.
No, I think this poster was making the point that it's better to be competent in one language than semi-literate in two.
[quote][p][bold]sarahcwmbran[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dee-Gee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sarahcwmbran[/bold] wrote: The only reason why you all talk english is either because your all too lazy to learn it. I live near newport and I can talk both languages and when I have children they will also do the same. I was brought up in an english speaking home and I have still decided to know both.[/p][/quote]It's "speak English", not talk english, and "you're" not "your". You need to remove the word "either" from that sentence, because you're not offering two choices. Also, using "it" instead of "Welsh" means you just said that people only speak English because they're too lazy to learn to speak English, which makes no sense. You'd be better off spending some time improving your English before learning a second language, otherwise you'll end up speaking (and writing) both quite badly. (I'm not usually a grammar pedant on forums, but it seemed relevant since we're talking about language.)[/p][/quote]The only reason you are looking at my grammer is because you know that what I am trying to say is corrct.[/p][/quote]No, I think this poster was making the point that it's better to be competent in one language than semi-literate in two. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 1

10:45am Fri 30 May 14

Mervyn James says...

I cannot see any issue with this. The primary issue should be in English, but would hope an welsh alternative is available on demand or request. there is no need to arm the anti-welsh faction with silly hate messages. Simply offer choice. Cardiff did well with their options.
I cannot see any issue with this. The primary issue should be in English, but would hope an welsh alternative is available on demand or request. there is no need to arm the anti-welsh faction with silly hate messages. Simply offer choice. Cardiff did well with their options. Mervyn James
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree