NEWPORT SHOOTING TRIAL: Summing up begins
11:10am Wednesday 28th May 2014 in News
NO more evidence will be heard in the trial of an alleged shooting on Chepstow Road in Newport last September, as the prosecution began its summing up yesterday.
Lewis Bridge, 23, of Nash Drive; Brogan Hooper, 21, of Feering Street; Ryan Battersby and Gary Rabjohns, both 25 and of no fixed address, are each charged with conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm with intent against John Phillips, Shanice Francis and Michael Wall during a shooting on September 3 of last year.
Rabjohns is also accused with attempting to pervert the course of justice. All four deny the charges.
Roger Griffiths, prosecuting, told Newport Crown Court yesterday that the three alleged victims were travelling in a small red Ford Ka when they were followed by a dark coloured 4x4 Grand Jeep Cherokee before they were deliberately rammed and shot at, causing the Ka to crash into the Cross Hands Hotel.
Mr Griffiths also read out explicit text messages of an apparent falling out between Rabjohns and Mr Phillips in the days leading up to the incident on Chepstow Road.
Mr Griffiths added there was no phone activity from either of the defendants in the moments leading up to and immediately after the time when two bullets hit the back of a Ford Ka on Chepstow Road. This, he said, was because “they were doing what they were doing”.
Mr Griffiths went on to claim Battersby had deliberately destroyed his mobile phone in the lead up to his arrest a few days after the incident on September 3.
Earlier in the trial, Battersby said he was caring for his baby daughter on September 3, and was in contact with his friend Rabjohns to tell him he could not make it to the Celtic Manor to play golf as planned.
Later, at about 10pm, he said he was watching a film at his former address in Elaine Crescent, in Newport.
He said any text messages exchanged with Rabjohns that evening and early on September 4 were merely to make conversation once the film had finished.