A WEEK after the flash floods which hit Gwent last week, residents in Cwmbran are left asking why such damage was caused.
Ruth and Mostyn Powell, who have lived on Two Locks Road for 60 years, saw their kitchen, conservatory, sheds and garage flooded last week.
New cabinets were ruined, still covered with a layer of mud and silt, the washing machine and television were broken and laminate flooring will have to be pulled up.
Mrs Powell, 81, said: “It’s a nightmare. It was just like a river. I had to run upstairs and grab all the sheets and towels and try and pile my furniture up on to the table.
All the sewage was running down. The smell was disgusting. It was horrendous.”
The pair have spent the last week cleaning, frustrated by what they say has been a lack of support.
Mrs Powell said: “We have had to do it all ourselves. We’ve had no help. We’re in our eighties and it has taken six days for the insurance company to come out.”
Sian Price, of Two Locks Road, has been forced to move her three children to her mother’s house, as she and her partner attempt to salvage the ground floor of their house.
Ms Price said: “It wasn’t just water – it was the muck. It’ll be months before we get it back to how it was.”
A skip sitting in their driveway is full of furniture, flooring and sofas – all ruined. Ms Price has no insurance, but she said she is trying to keep optimistic. She said: “I’ve got to, otherwise I’ll break down.”
St Joseph’s Meadow estate in Llantarnam was particularly badly hit as water reached almost hip-level on Thursday. The Argus reported on a number of homes which had been flooded, forcing families to move out.
Mike Villars and Chris Bodman, of Poplar Place, weren’t flooded but are all too aware of how lucky they were and are concerned as to who is responsible.
They discovered large industrial containers, trees and other debris in Cwmbran Brook, behind their estate.
Mr Bodman said: “We really need Cwmbran Brook to be sorted. Who is going to take responsibility for that brook? We are sitting ducks.”
Problems with “boggy” gardens are a common occurrence on the estate and Mr Villars said: “For the last three years we’ve had problems with the drains down here.”
Now residents are concerned the problem will worsen with the Abbey Park development of 48 more homes on the site adjacent to their estate.
Last week, Steve Williams, managing director of Barratt South Wales said: “We sympathise with residents affected by the freak weather conditions and the floods which originated away from our site.”
The Argus contacted Torfaen council for a comment but no response.