NEWPORT SHOOTING TRIAL: Jury sent out
Updated 12:23pm Wednesday 4th June 2014 in News
THE jury in the Newport shooting trial began deliberating yesterday after the judge finished her summing up.
Ryan Battersby, 25, of no fixed abode, Lewis Bridge, 23, of Nash Drive, Brogan Hooper, 21, of Feering Street and Gary Rabjohns, 25, of no fixed address are charged with conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm against John Phillips, Shanice Francis and Michael Wall on September 3, 2013.
Rabjohns is also accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice. All four deny the charges at Newport Crown Court.
Earlier in the trial, Roger Griffiths, prosecuting, told jurors the three alleged victims were travelling in a red Ford Ka when they were followed by a dark coloured 4x4 Grand Jeep Cherokee before they were rammed and shot at, causing the Ka to crash into the Cross Hands Hotel in Chepstow Road, Somerton.
Yesterday during her summing up, Judge Justice Cox took the jury through an evidence booklet summarising the evidence of the five-week trial, including photos of smashed glass, tyre scuff marks and skid marks.
They were also shown pictures of shotgun pellet damage to the red Ka.
The jury was reminded that both Mr Phillips and Mr Wall were injured by the pellets, and Mr Phillips needed a pellet surgically removed from the back of his head.
A summary of the evidence given by each defendant both in police interviews and when they took to the witness box was also given.
Both Rabjohns and Battersby deny being in the 4x4 on the night of the incident.
Bridge admitted being in the car, but says he was unaware there was a gun in the car. Hooper admitted being in the car, but would not name those in the car with him, and denied knowing there was a gun in the car or that the plan was to ram the Ka.
The jury will resume its deliberations today after being sent out at 2pm yesterday.