A MAN who drove himself to hospital after an alleged stabbing in Newport on Friday remains in hospital but is described to be in a stable condition.

Four men were initially arrested in connection with the incident at the Star hand car wash in Tregwilym Road, Rogerstone, but three of them have now been released without further charge in relation to the alleged stabbing.

One man has been charged with assault and has been remanded in custody pending court proceedings.

A Gwent police spokesman said all four of the men have been charged with immigration offences.

Police were called to the scene on Friday at 8.50am where eye witnesses said the 39-year-old man who had suffered stab wounds, had run away bleeding. Police said the man from Newport took himself to the Royal Gwent Hospital on Friday when he was said to be in a life-threatening condition and was receiving treatments for his injuries.

Yesterday, police said the man was now stable.

Alwyn Jones, 60, who works in the mechanics business next door to the hand wash said they had opened up when they were told about the incident.

He said: "I immediately rang the police. It was about 8.45am. Next thing I knew, police were everywhere.

"This is normally a very quiet area, it's shocking. Stuff like this doesn't really happen here."

He added: "First of all there were two patrol cars, then the vans showed up and then CID. There were a lot of police."

Cllr Chris Evans, member for Rogerstone said: "Our thoughts are with members of the family of the victim at this time. It was a shock for the community, totally out of character with our community.

"The police were very good in keeping us updated, the best thing we can do is to get back to normal as quickly as possible. The people of Rogerstone were concerned but were reassured by my fellow councillors and the police who we have a good relationship with.

"It was a serious incident but a one off.”

Anyone with any information is urged to call Gwent Police on 1010 quoting log 126 20/06/14.