Chepstow woman died after exposure to asbestos - inquest

South Wales Argus: Chepstow woman died after exposure to asbestos - inquest Chepstow woman died after exposure to asbestos - inquest

AN 80-YEAR-OLD woman died as a result of a domestic-acquired industrial disease normally caused by an exposure to asbestos, an inquest heard.

Norma Kidman from Chepstow died from mesothelioma on September 27, 2013.

In a statement read out to Gwent Coroner’s Court in Newport, Mrs Kidman’s husband John Kidman said he had “no idea” how his wife contracted mesothelioma.

The statement read: “Prior to our marriage in 1951, my wife had been an apprentice hairdresser, but she gave up work to look after our children. She returned to employment in 1961 as a shop worker and an office clerk.”

Gwent Coroner David Bowen heard that in 1969, Mr Kidman was posted to Burma and various other Army barracks and his family went with him.

Mr Kidman’s statement added: “My wife enjoyed good health in the majority of her life, but during the summer of 2013 she developed a dry cough and was admitted to the Royal Gwent Hospital. Doctors said she was suffering from a possible mesothelioma, I have no idea how she contracted that condition.”

Mr Bowen recorded a verdict of domestic-acquired industrial disease and said that it was “unnecessary” for him to decide how Mrs Kidman came into contact with asbestos.

Comments

Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree