Newport security crackdown ahead of Nato summit

SECURITY:  Seals on city lampposts

SECURITY: Seals on city lampposts

First published in News
Last updated

SECURITY is being stepped up in Newport ahead of the Nato summit, with drains and lampposts being sealed off as part of a police security crackdown.

Drains and lampposts near the Riverfront Theatre and the University of South Wales campus were sealed off at around 5pm on July 16.

Two stickers are placed on each side of every lamppost on the walk way that follows the River Usk from Town Bridge, all the way down to the SDR Bridge, Pill, with rubber seals on most drains.

Nato, which will see thousands of delegates and journalists from all over the world attend the event on September 4 and 5, will also attract some controversy with thousands of anti-Nato protesters expected to converge on the city.

Commenting on their work to seal up key areas which may pose a security risk, a Gwent Police spokesman said: “As the Nato summit draws closer we are finalising our preparations for the policing operation which will help ensure the safety of local residents and delegates.

“We are grateful to the public for their continued support and understanding and apologise in advance if any of our activity causes any disruption or inconvenience.”

This follows Gwent Police’s announcement last month, which confirmed they are taking no chances during the summit with a 10,000 strong policing team being deployed in South Wales for the event.

Chairman of the Gwent Police Federation Jeff Mapps said that all leave has been cancelled for Gwent officers during the deployment.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:48pm Thu 17 Jul 14

KarloMarko says...

Every copy of the Argus is now being read by GCHQ for coded messages in the ads. Phrases like "Dave the Tory Gimp wishes to meet US Drone Boy for action" are particularly suspect. Loads of buzzcut Americans in Caerleon asking where the local Taliban hang out. I sent em on to Wetherspoons in Cambrian Road.
Every copy of the Argus is now being read by GCHQ for coded messages in the ads. Phrases like "Dave the Tory Gimp wishes to meet US Drone Boy for action" are particularly suspect. Loads of buzzcut Americans in Caerleon asking where the local Taliban hang out. I sent em on to Wetherspoons in Cambrian Road. KarloMarko
  • Score: 30

10:21pm Thu 17 Jul 14

lowandhardandinthecorner says...

It's good they're taking so much care to prevent lamppost and drain bombers because it's a common method of terrorist attack............ Oh! Wait a minute!....
If I were them I'd seal all the discarded lager cans as well , another well known extremist weapon along with dropped McDonalds bags.
It's good they're taking so much care to prevent lamppost and drain bombers because it's a common method of terrorist attack............ Oh! Wait a minute!.... If I were them I'd seal all the discarded lager cans as well , another well known extremist weapon along with dropped McDonalds bags. lowandhardandinthecorner
  • Score: 4

4:10am Fri 18 Jul 14

artsfan says...

I didn't think the Riverfront Theatre would be a target now they have stopped taking sponsorship from arms manufacturers. Aah, I see! Their website still says they ARE taking money off Cassidian....
I didn't think the Riverfront Theatre would be a target now they have stopped taking sponsorship from arms manufacturers. Aah, I see! Their website still says they ARE taking money off Cassidian.... artsfan
  • Score: -5

4:11am Fri 18 Jul 14

artsfan says...

Forgot to post the link: http://www.newport.g
ov.uk/riverfront/ind
ex.cfm/showSponsorsh
ip/
Forgot to post the link: http://www.newport.g ov.uk/riverfront/ind ex.cfm/showSponsorsh ip/ artsfan
  • Score: -2

4:31am Fri 18 Jul 14

MikeO4O8 says...

Didn't know a lamppost could be be a security risk until I read previous comment. Couldn't over head power cables be a risk as well? Maybe they will make bigger walls around the riverfront so they don't get thrown in or seal up the gaps on the railings so they don't "slip in. Wonder if traffic lights have been sealed off as well. Oh and are they sealing off the vents outside the leisure centre (facing the road) as that doesn't sound safe when walking past with all that crackling going on (sounds like wires touching) someone could easily slip a bomb in there under the cover of darkness. Let's not forget to seal off the yellow flashing light posts at zebra crossings and also to do regular bin checks encase someone plants something in there as well. I have a feeling my comment will be removed as it might be planting ideas in to people's heads lol, oh well I thought of these ideas first.
Didn't know a lamppost could be be a security risk until I read previous comment. Couldn't over head power cables be a risk as well? Maybe they will make bigger walls around the riverfront so they don't get thrown in or seal up the gaps on the railings so they don't "slip in. Wonder if traffic lights have been sealed off as well. Oh and are they sealing off the vents outside the leisure centre (facing the road) as that doesn't sound safe when walking past with all that crackling going on (sounds like wires touching) someone could easily slip a bomb in there under the cover of darkness. Let's not forget to seal off the yellow flashing light posts at zebra crossings and also to do regular bin checks encase someone plants something in there as well. I have a feeling my comment will be removed as it might be planting ideas in to people's heads lol, oh well I thought of these ideas first. MikeO4O8
  • Score: 0

6:36am Fri 18 Jul 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

Hmmm...according to the latest reports on 'exploding pavements' in some newspapers the other day, we're far more likely to be blown up by unsafe cable work underground caused by local government cost cutting than a major terror incident. Just sayin';)
Hmmm...according to the latest reports on 'exploding pavements' in some newspapers the other day, we're far more likely to be blown up by unsafe cable work underground caused by local government cost cutting than a major terror incident. Just sayin';) Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: 1

7:17am Fri 18 Jul 14

Ceri says...

We've not enough police to tackle problems in our areas, but suddenly there are 10,000 available???
We've not enough police to tackle problems in our areas, but suddenly there are 10,000 available??? Ceri
  • Score: 18

7:46am Fri 18 Jul 14

Casper says...

Hang on: this is being billed as the NATO WALES summit, not the NATO Newport Summit, so presumably this sort of security operation is taking place over some 8,000 square miles. No wonder it needs 10,000 policemen to spend our taxes on.
Hang on: this is being billed as the NATO WALES summit, not the NATO Newport Summit, so presumably this sort of security operation is taking place over some 8,000 square miles. No wonder it needs 10,000 policemen to spend our taxes on. Casper
  • Score: 0

9:09am Fri 18 Jul 14

john.hall1000 says...

How much is this costing, and how much is terry Matthews making? .
How much is this costing, and how much is terry Matthews making? . john.hall1000
  • Score: 15

9:29am Fri 18 Jul 14

displayed says...

The headline on Newport Matters (as if) is:
"Nato is coming to Newport"
It should read "Chaos is coming to Newport", cos that whats gonna happen, not mention the efforts needed to get the city back to normal after they've all "breezed thro!

Newport will not be the same again...............
...
The headline on Newport Matters (as if) is: "Nato is coming to Newport" It should read "Chaos is coming to Newport", cos that whats gonna happen, not mention the efforts needed to get the city back to normal after they've all "breezed thro! Newport will not be the same again............... ... displayed
  • Score: 0

10:25am Fri 18 Jul 14

jerymp says...

displayed wrote:
The headline on Newport Matters (as if) is:
"Nato is coming to Newport"
It should read "Chaos is coming to Newport", cos that whats gonna happen, not mention the efforts needed to get the city back to normal after they've all "breezed thro!

Newport will not be the same again...............

...
"Newport will not be the same again"
Now that it wonderful news.
[quote][p][bold]displayed[/bold] wrote: The headline on Newport Matters (as if) is: "Nato is coming to Newport" It should read "Chaos is coming to Newport", cos that whats gonna happen, not mention the efforts needed to get the city back to normal after they've all "breezed thro! Newport will not be the same again............... ...[/p][/quote]"Newport will not be the same again" Now that it wonderful news. jerymp
  • Score: 4

10:28am Fri 18 Jul 14

artsfan says...

displayed wrote:
The headline on Newport Matters (as if) is:
"Nato is coming to Newport"
It should read "Chaos is coming to Newport", cos that whats gonna happen, not mention the efforts needed to get the city back to normal after they've all "breezed thro!

Newport will not be the same again...............

...
Not with all those blue stickers it won't. I hope the police are made to take them off the lamp posts when it's all over.
[quote][p][bold]displayed[/bold] wrote: The headline on Newport Matters (as if) is: "Nato is coming to Newport" It should read "Chaos is coming to Newport", cos that whats gonna happen, not mention the efforts needed to get the city back to normal after they've all "breezed thro! Newport will not be the same again............... ...[/p][/quote]Not with all those blue stickers it won't. I hope the police are made to take them off the lamp posts when it's all over. artsfan
  • Score: 1

11:14am Fri 18 Jul 14

ihatewhingers says...

All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City.
You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.
All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City. You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller. ihatewhingers
  • Score: 12

11:30am Fri 18 Jul 14

artsfan says...

ihatewhingers wrote:
All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City.
You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.
For heavens sake, stop whining! You're the worst of the lot!

With all the blue stickers, extra doughnut eating pigs in town, etc. I have yet to hear anyone point out that; while Mr Matthews and others laugh all the way to the bank, we Newportonions are under the greatest terrorist threat we have ever known. I cannot afford insurance for if the windows on my house are all shattered due to an explosion down the road, but I guess that could turn out to be the least of my worries.
[quote][p][bold]ihatewhingers[/bold] wrote: All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City. You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.[/p][/quote]For heavens sake, stop whining! You're the worst of the lot! With all the blue stickers, extra doughnut eating pigs in town, etc. I have yet to hear anyone point out that; while Mr Matthews and others laugh all the way to the bank, we Newportonions are under the greatest terrorist threat we have ever known. I cannot afford insurance for if the windows on my house are all shattered due to an explosion down the road, but I guess that could turn out to be the least of my worries. artsfan
  • Score: -12

11:48am Fri 18 Jul 14

ihatewhingers says...

artsfan wrote:
ihatewhingers wrote:
All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City.
You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.
For heavens sake, stop whining! You're the worst of the lot!

With all the blue stickers, extra doughnut eating pigs in town, etc. I have yet to hear anyone point out that; while Mr Matthews and others laugh all the way to the bank, we Newportonions are under the greatest terrorist threat we have ever known. I cannot afford insurance for if the windows on my house are all shattered due to an explosion down the road, but I guess that could turn out to be the least of my worries.
I wasn't whining but thanks for that and I doubt very much I am the worst of the lot just because I actually like living here.
I have faith in these "doughnut eating pigs" that we have in town and don't think we are about to be wiped off the face of the earth by terrorists.
[quote][p][bold]artsfan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ihatewhingers[/bold] wrote: All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City. You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.[/p][/quote]For heavens sake, stop whining! You're the worst of the lot! With all the blue stickers, extra doughnut eating pigs in town, etc. I have yet to hear anyone point out that; while Mr Matthews and others laugh all the way to the bank, we Newportonions are under the greatest terrorist threat we have ever known. I cannot afford insurance for if the windows on my house are all shattered due to an explosion down the road, but I guess that could turn out to be the least of my worries.[/p][/quote]I wasn't whining but thanks for that and I doubt very much I am the worst of the lot just because I actually like living here. I have faith in these "doughnut eating pigs" that we have in town and don't think we are about to be wiped off the face of the earth by terrorists. ihatewhingers
  • Score: 19

5:25pm Fri 18 Jul 14

artsfan says...

ihatewhingers wrote:
artsfan wrote:
ihatewhingers wrote:
All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City.
You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.
For heavens sake, stop whining! You're the worst of the lot!

With all the blue stickers, extra doughnut eating pigs in town, etc. I have yet to hear anyone point out that; while Mr Matthews and others laugh all the way to the bank, we Newportonions are under the greatest terrorist threat we have ever known. I cannot afford insurance for if the windows on my house are all shattered due to an explosion down the road, but I guess that could turn out to be the least of my worries.
I wasn't whining but thanks for that and I doubt very much I am the worst of the lot just because I actually like living here.
I have faith in these "doughnut eating pigs" that we have in town and don't think we are about to be wiped off the face of the earth by terrorists.
Still, Newport is more at risk from terrorism than anywhere else in the UK thanks to the summit, thanks to Terrible Terence, thanks to WAG, thanks to NCC....Greedy people and people on power trips.
[quote][p][bold]ihatewhingers[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]artsfan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ihatewhingers[/bold] wrote: All this negative talk is what brings Newport down. Sadly, it is the people that live here are the problem with this City. You'd all moan if nothing was being done, but it seems that you must find something to complain about to make your days that little bit duller.[/p][/quote]For heavens sake, stop whining! You're the worst of the lot! With all the blue stickers, extra doughnut eating pigs in town, etc. I have yet to hear anyone point out that; while Mr Matthews and others laugh all the way to the bank, we Newportonions are under the greatest terrorist threat we have ever known. I cannot afford insurance for if the windows on my house are all shattered due to an explosion down the road, but I guess that could turn out to be the least of my worries.[/p][/quote]I wasn't whining but thanks for that and I doubt very much I am the worst of the lot just because I actually like living here. I have faith in these "doughnut eating pigs" that we have in town and don't think we are about to be wiped off the face of the earth by terrorists.[/p][/quote]Still, Newport is more at risk from terrorism than anywhere else in the UK thanks to the summit, thanks to Terrible Terence, thanks to WAG, thanks to NCC....Greedy people and people on power trips. artsfan
  • Score: -7

8:02pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Limestonecowboy says...

After what happened in the Ukraine we should be flying the NATO flag what is the option with pro-Russian lunatics in possession of ground to air missiles.
After what happened in the Ukraine we should be flying the NATO flag what is the option with pro-Russian lunatics in possession of ground to air missiles. Limestonecowboy
  • Score: 2

8:12pm Fri 18 Jul 14

JENKO1965 says...

why don't the f##k off up some swiss mountain and have the summit instead of causing all this disruption
why don't the f##k off up some swiss mountain and have the summit instead of causing all this disruption JENKO1965
  • Score: -4

9:05pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Agunner says...

Why do you think highlighting such police activity ,which is aimed at protecting the public ,is news? The fact that you highlight such activities draws attention to preventative measures the police take and creates opportunity for the sceptical to criticise without the basic understanding of why the police take steps to protect public safety and reduce risk where possible. Such irresponsible reporting makes me question your motives in making this public.
Why do you think highlighting such police activity ,which is aimed at protecting the public ,is news? The fact that you highlight such activities draws attention to preventative measures the police take and creates opportunity for the sceptical to criticise without the basic understanding of why the police take steps to protect public safety and reduce risk where possible. Such irresponsible reporting makes me question your motives in making this public. Agunner
  • Score: -2

12:13am Sun 20 Jul 14

Alun L says...

Have we got enough coffee shops to serve 10,000 coppers?
Have we got enough coffee shops to serve 10,000 coppers? Alun L
  • Score: -1

3:53am Sun 20 Jul 14

artsfan says...

Limestonecowboy wrote:
After what happened in the Ukraine we should be flying the NATO flag what is the option with pro-Russian lunatics in possession of ground to air missiles.
First, it has not been proven that it was the separatists who shot down the plane, it could have been anyone. The mainstream media in the UK is jumping the gun again. Also don't forget that the UK is guilty of selling arms to repressive states including Russia, Israel, Iran, China, Syria, Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, etc.. the list goes on.
The USA are the biggest warmongers with the UK their puppets.
[quote][p][bold]Limestonecowboy[/bold] wrote: After what happened in the Ukraine we should be flying the NATO flag what is the option with pro-Russian lunatics in possession of ground to air missiles.[/p][/quote]First, it has not been proven that it was the separatists who shot down the plane, it could have been anyone. The mainstream media in the UK is jumping the gun again. Also don't forget that the UK is guilty of selling arms to repressive states including Russia, Israel, Iran, China, Syria, Egypt, Sudan, Somalia, etc.. the list goes on. The USA are the biggest warmongers with the UK their puppets. artsfan
  • Score: -2

10:29am Sun 20 Jul 14

artsfan says...

I'd like to draw your attention to the following article: http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/uk/pol
itics/blood-money-uk
s-123bn-arms-sales-t
o-repressive-states-
8711794.html
How dare the UK complain when weapons fall into the wrong hands?
I'd like to draw your attention to the following article: http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/uk/pol itics/blood-money-uk s-123bn-arms-sales-t o-repressive-states- 8711794.html How dare the UK complain when weapons fall into the wrong hands? artsfan
  • Score: 0

11:22am Thu 24 Jul 14

welshmen says...

Just the mention of Newport should keep most demonstrators away from the big boys club, should have put it on the logo picture, would have only needed a few PCSO's to cover it....
Just the mention of Newport should keep most demonstrators away from the big boys club, should have put it on the logo picture, would have only needed a few PCSO's to cover it.... welshmen
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree