A NEWPORT man has been sentenced to 11 months imprisonment for a 10 minute assault in which he slammed his partner’s head into a wall.

Gareth Davies, 39, of Harrow Road, was sentenced at Newport Crown Court yesterday for actual bodily harm on his former partner on April 22, 2014. Davies pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing.

The court heard how Davies had entered into an argument with the woman at a property on Harrow Road where they were staying with a friend before he slammed her head into the hallway wall.

Nuhu Gobir, prosecuting, said: “The complainant said that the defendant grabbed her head and slammed it into the hallway wall. This resulted in her splitting her lip.

“The defendant kicked her in the leg in the incident which lasted 10 to 15 minutes. The complainant threw a can at the defendant which hit him in the eye and allowed the complainant to get away.”

Mr Gobir told the court that the woman had flagged down a nearby police car which was on patrol .

He said: “The complainant was crying and was very distressed. She said she had been assaulted and had blood on her hands from a heavily bleeding lip and a lump on her head where she had hit it against the wall.”

An ambulance was called but she refused treatment.

The defendant handed himself into Newport central police station on May 1. Gareth Jones, for the defence, told the court that Davies had accused his partner of stealing £80 from the £400 given to him by his mother to be used on a bond for a house.

Davies had a restraining order prohibiting him from contacting his former partner Stevie Lowe on October 2013.

Mr Jones said: “This incident occurred in the house of a friend of the defendant. Stevie Lowe moved in where the defendant was staying. The restraining order had been breached for some weeks. She followed him to live there.”

Davies was given 16 weeks imprisonment on October 23 at Cwmbran Magistrates for battery which was suspended for 18 months. He was sentenced to six months for the breach of the restraining order, nine months for ABH and two months for breach of a suspended sentence. He will also have to pay £100 surcharge.