Newport workers walk out over privatisation row

Sisters Emily, (lt), and Eleanor Williams out with the strikers at MOJ Shared Service Centre, Pheonix House, Celtic Springs business Park, Newport, this morning (8800271)

Sisters Emily, (lt), and Eleanor Williams out with the strikers at MOJ Shared Service Centre, Pheonix House, Celtic Springs business Park, Newport, this morning (8800269)

Sisters Emily, (lt), and Eleanor Williams out with the strikers at MOJ Shared Service Centre, Pheonix House, Celtic Springs business Park, Newport, this morning (8800273)

Sisters Emily, (lt), and Eleanor Williams out with the strikers at MOJ Shared Service Centre, Pheonix House, Celtic Springs business Park, Newport, this morning (8800275)

First published in News

HUNDREDS of civil servants walked out of work today in Newport, in opposition to plans to privatise their jobs and send them abroad.

Workers at the Ministry of Justice Shared Services centre in Celtic Springs Business Park went on strike for the third time in recent weeks in protest against UK government plans to sign a deal with French-owned IT company Steria.

About 350 of the centre’s 700 full-time staff are members of the Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union, said PCS campaigns officer Darren Williams.

Earlier this week PCS members at Newport’s Passport Office also walked out in protest against nationwide issues with workload.

About 700 people performing back-room functions like payroll and human resources are employed full-time at the Shared Services centre, with 300 others doing the same jobs on temporary contracts.

They do work for the likes of the probation service, the Home Office and the courts and prisons service.

Managers signalled their intent to go through with the deal in June but the Argus understands the agreement is likely to be made this month.

Of three options available, the government favoured Steria’s business plan which involves off-shoring the jobs to other countries, such as India where one of its subsidiaries, Shared Services Connected Ltd (SSCL), already runs an NHS call-centre.

A Ministry of Justice spokeswoman said they will work with staff, trade unions and other stakeholders to assess impacts on staff.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:22pm Thu 31 Jul 14

displayed says...

Persuading little girls to take part in adult protests about adult issues aint cool.
They grow up quik enuff wivout having it forced on em..................
..
Persuading little girls to take part in adult protests about adult issues aint cool. They grow up quik enuff wivout having it forced on em.................. .. displayed
  • Score: -5

10:00pm Thu 31 Jul 14

myopinion1988 says...

Poor kids they should not be out on a picket line they should be enjoying their 6 week holidays!
Poor kids they should not be out on a picket line they should be enjoying their 6 week holidays! myopinion1988
  • Score: -1

10:01pm Thu 31 Jul 14

myopinion1988 says...

displayed wrote:
Persuading little girls to take part in adult protests about adult issues aint cool.
They grow up quik enuff wivout having it forced on em..................

..
**** right it's shocking what people will do
[quote][p][bold]displayed[/bold] wrote: Persuading little girls to take part in adult protests about adult issues aint cool. They grow up quik enuff wivout having it forced on em.................. ..[/p][/quote]**** right it's shocking what people will do myopinion1988
  • Score: -3

10:39pm Thu 31 Jul 14

KarloMarko says...

Well I take it there will be no kids waving Brit and Welsh flags at the Nato barn dance? No kids on the streets for our "brave boys" parading through? No kids glimpsing the back of yet another royal parasite on walkabouts? Really? How refreshing. These parents are today fighting to save their jobs and communities. Something any child would remember with pride. Except those who's parents have no sense of either. Like yourselves.
Well I take it there will be no kids waving Brit and Welsh flags at the Nato barn dance? No kids on the streets for our "brave boys" parading through? No kids glimpsing the back of yet another royal parasite on walkabouts? Really? How refreshing. These parents are today fighting to save their jobs and communities. Something any child would remember with pride. Except those who's parents have no sense of either. Like yourselves. KarloMarko
  • Score: 11

7:23am Fri 1 Aug 14

Ethel24 says...

I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line. Ethel24
  • Score: -4

7:49am Fri 1 Aug 14

Mr Angry says...

Its wrong to take children on to a picket line full stop, its not and should not be a 'fun' experience.

It should be said that the company taking over at the SSC does not have a very good reputation to say the least, and the workforce have every right to be aggrived.

What is worrying is that appart from the meaningless bland statements from the MOJ such as ' will work with staff, trade unions and other stakeholders to assess impacts on staff. ' Steria, are doing nothing to address the concerns of the workforce. and in fact seem to revelling in the unceratincy.

One thing is for certain Steria will be inheriting disgruntled, poorly motivated workforce, with goodwill being non existant, and as anyone who runs a business will tell you thats not good. The MOJ and Streia only have themselves to blame for that.
Its wrong to take children on to a picket line full stop, its not and should not be a 'fun' experience. It should be said that the company taking over at the SSC does not have a very good reputation to say the least, and the workforce have every right to be aggrived. What is worrying is that appart from the meaningless bland statements from the MOJ such as ' will work with staff, trade unions and other stakeholders to assess impacts on staff. ' Steria, are doing nothing to address the concerns of the workforce. and in fact seem to revelling in the unceratincy. One thing is for certain Steria will be inheriting disgruntled, poorly motivated workforce, with goodwill being non existant, and as anyone who runs a business will tell you thats not good. The MOJ and Streia only have themselves to blame for that. Mr Angry
  • Score: 10

12:27pm Fri 1 Aug 14

myopinion1988 says...

Ethel24 wrote:
I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
[quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD?? myopinion1988
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Ethel24 says...

myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
[quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!! Ethel24
  • Score: -2

1:36pm Fri 1 Aug 14

myopinion1988 says...

Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
[quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case! myopinion1988
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Ethel24 says...

myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.
[quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case![/p][/quote]How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company. Ethel24
  • Score: -1

7:33pm Fri 1 Aug 14

daveglyn says...

Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.
Because they will get HAND OUTS.
[quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case![/p][/quote]How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.[/p][/quote]Because they will get HAND OUTS. daveglyn
  • Score: -9

7:39pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Ethel24 says...

daveglyn wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.
Because they will get HAND OUTS.
Someone is in a mood with my comment. I am just pointing out that it will be very tough for the family as mum & Dad work at the MOJ and they are not the only couple within the building it would mean a lot of families will suffer.
[quote][p][bold]daveglyn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case![/p][/quote]How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.[/p][/quote]Because they will get HAND OUTS.[/p][/quote]Someone is in a mood with my comment. I am just pointing out that it will be very tough for the family as mum & Dad work at the MOJ and they are not the only couple within the building it would mean a lot of families will suffer. Ethel24
  • Score: 6

8:17pm Fri 1 Aug 14

myopinion1988 says...

Ethel24 wrote:
daveglyn wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.
Because they will get HAND OUTS.
Someone is in a mood with my comment. I am just pointing out that it will be very tough for the family as mum & Dad work at the MOJ and they are not the only couple within the building it would mean a lot of families will suffer.
I also work there and have a child so completely understand their situation but I wouldn't use my child like that or subject them to shouting at members of the public, like the above comment implies worst case scenario will not be starvation!
[quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]daveglyn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case![/p][/quote]How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.[/p][/quote]Because they will get HAND OUTS.[/p][/quote]Someone is in a mood with my comment. I am just pointing out that it will be very tough for the family as mum & Dad work at the MOJ and they are not the only couple within the building it would mean a lot of families will suffer.[/p][/quote]I also work there and have a child so completely understand their situation but I wouldn't use my child like that or subject them to shouting at members of the public, like the above comment implies worst case scenario will not be starvation! myopinion1988
  • Score: 2

8:21pm Fri 1 Aug 14

landyman3030 says...

daveglyn wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.
Because they will get HAND OUTS.
And hand outs equate a combined wage do they? Not on this planet. There are people who can't feed the family who are working because of many bills. I disagree about kids at picket lines but it tells people one thing. Many FAMILIES will be affected by this decision by the Ministry to privatise an important part of the Civil service giving another private company the chance to make millions out of the taxpayer. This will add thousands to the benefits system how is that saving money?
[quote][p][bold]daveglyn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case![/p][/quote]How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.[/p][/quote]Because they will get HAND OUTS.[/p][/quote]And hand outs equate a combined wage do they? Not on this planet. There are people who can't feed the family who are working because of many bills. I disagree about kids at picket lines but it tells people one thing. Many FAMILIES will be affected by this decision by the Ministry to privatise an important part of the Civil service giving another private company the chance to make millions out of the taxpayer. This will add thousands to the benefits system how is that saving money? landyman3030
  • Score: -1

8:27pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Abertillery29 says...

Whilst I am not a fan of off shoring British jobs, it's about time that public service and local authority workers were made to realise what the private sector wokers have had to put up with for many years. They have been shielded from the harsh world of reality for far too long.
Whilst I am not a fan of off shoring British jobs, it's about time that public service and local authority workers were made to realise what the private sector wokers have had to put up with for many years. They have been shielded from the harsh world of reality for far too long. Abertillery29
  • Score: -7

9:10am Sat 2 Aug 14

PrivateTom10000001 says...

Capitalists say to the workers, “You help us increase profits and we will reward you with higher wages. That way everyone wins."
The reality, however, is almost exactly the opposite. Across the industrialised world companies are enjoying an era of extraordinarily high profit growth. But, except for those at the very top of the income scale, pay rises are barely keeping up with inflation.
Trickle down economics do not work. 'Flexible' labour markets have merely allowed employers to take more profit from productivity without passing the benefits on to workers in the form of wage increases and to move jobs anywhere in the world. It does not matter how hard you work because Cameron is hell bent on finishing Thatchers legacy of destroying workers rights. There has only ever been one way for workers to ensure that they receive a fair share of the pie and protect their jobs and that is to organise themselves into unions to bargain for better wages and conditions. Unfortunately the attack on representation in the workplace by the Tory led government is now reaping the rewards for the wealthy few.
Capitalists say to the workers, “You help us increase profits and we will reward you with higher wages. That way everyone wins." The reality, however, is almost exactly the opposite. Across the industrialised world companies are enjoying an era of extraordinarily high profit growth. But, except for those at the very top of the income scale, pay rises are barely keeping up with inflation. Trickle down economics do not work. 'Flexible' labour markets have merely allowed employers to take more profit from productivity without passing the benefits on to workers in the form of wage increases and to move jobs anywhere in the world. It does not matter how hard you work because Cameron is hell bent on finishing Thatchers legacy of destroying workers rights. There has only ever been one way for workers to ensure that they receive a fair share of the pie and protect their jobs and that is to organise themselves into unions to bargain for better wages and conditions. Unfortunately the attack on representation in the workplace by the Tory led government is now reaping the rewards for the wealthy few. PrivateTom10000001
  • Score: 9

9:41am Sat 2 Aug 14

PrivateTom10000001 says...

daveglyn wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote:
myopinion1988 wrote:
Ethel24 wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.
I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??
That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!!
This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case!
How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.
Because they will get HAND OUTS.
Get in the real world, there has been a huge rise in food bank use, the demand is linked to welfare reform,loss of jobs and zero hour contracts and low wages PEOPLE ARE VERY NEAR STAVING
26 Million Brits live on the breadline, Thanks to the Tories.
Food banks have become shameful symbol of Tory Britain, Coalition austerity measures are a disgrace that have left people facing hunger and destitution and the Red Cross feeding the UK.
The Red Cross will this winter start collecting and distributing food aid to the needy in Britain for the first time since the Second World War, as welfare cuts and the economic downturn send soaring numbers of people to soup kitchens and food banks.
Labour's final year in power saw child poverty at lowest level since 1980s, Just 6 per cent of the public realise the debt is now rising. Proof that the Tory lies are being taken in by the thick and gullible wile Ukip con many more. Millions of children are currently living in poverty in the UK, While Bwankers share £7bn in bonuses, this country is sick.
The UK is the only G7 Country where the Red Cross is providing Emergency Food Aid," just rejoice at that news"
[quote][p][bold]daveglyn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]myopinion1988[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ethel24[/bold] wrote: I agree children should not be at the picket line which is why I chose not to take mine. However the two.young girls from what I saw actually enjoyed themselves there so maybe people should be less judgemental especially when they were not at the picket line.[/p][/quote]I saw the line actually so am going by what i saw! They were the loudest shouting "WERE FIGHTING FOR YOUR JOBS" while their parents shout " we need to feed our kids" surely that would be scary for A CHILD??[/p][/quote]That must have been after I left as I said in my comment I can only say what I saw!!![/p][/quote]This was about 8.45.... Just hope the children don't really believe that their going to starve if daddy looses his job as this wont be the case![/p][/quote]How do you know they won't starve if mummy & daddy lose there jobs as both sets of parents work for the company.[/p][/quote]Because they will get HAND OUTS.[/p][/quote]Get in the real world, there has been a huge rise in food bank use, the demand is linked to welfare reform,loss of jobs and zero hour contracts and low wages PEOPLE ARE VERY NEAR STAVING 26 Million Brits live on the breadline, Thanks to the Tories. Food banks have become shameful symbol of Tory Britain, Coalition austerity measures are a disgrace that have left people facing hunger and destitution and the Red Cross feeding the UK. The Red Cross will this winter start collecting and distributing food aid to the needy in Britain for the first time since the Second World War, as welfare cuts and the economic downturn send soaring numbers of people to soup kitchens and food banks. Labour's final year in power saw child poverty at lowest level since 1980s, Just 6 per cent of the public realise the debt is now rising. Proof that the Tory lies are being taken in by the thick and gullible wile Ukip con many more. Millions of children are currently living in poverty in the UK, While Bwankers share £7bn in bonuses, this country is sick. The UK is the only G7 Country where the Red Cross is providing Emergency Food Aid," just rejoice at that news" PrivateTom10000001
  • Score: 0

9:43am Sat 2 Aug 14

PrivateTom10000001 says...

"starving"
"starving" PrivateTom10000001
  • Score: 1

2:57pm Sat 2 Aug 14

BobEvams2014 says...

Mr Angry wrote:
Its wrong to take children on to a picket line full stop, its not and should not be a 'fun' experience.

It should be said that the company taking over at the SSC does not have a very good reputation to say the least, and the workforce have every right to be aggrived.

What is worrying is that appart from the meaningless bland statements from the MOJ such as ' will work with staff, trade unions and other stakeholders to assess impacts on staff. ' Steria, are doing nothing to address the concerns of the workforce. and in fact seem to revelling in the unceratincy.

One thing is for certain Steria will be inheriting disgruntled, poorly motivated workforce, with goodwill being non existant, and as anyone who runs a business will tell you thats not good. The MOJ and Streia only have themselves to blame for that.
What nonsense !!! The best way to motivate the workforce is threaten the lazy so ans sos with the sack, performance would soon improve then.

When UKIP win the next General Election , all the siily EU Red tape protecting inefficent workers will be gone within days, enable employers to fully motivate and get better value for money from their employees.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Angry[/bold] wrote: Its wrong to take children on to a picket line full stop, its not and should not be a 'fun' experience. It should be said that the company taking over at the SSC does not have a very good reputation to say the least, and the workforce have every right to be aggrived. What is worrying is that appart from the meaningless bland statements from the MOJ such as ' will work with staff, trade unions and other stakeholders to assess impacts on staff. ' Steria, are doing nothing to address the concerns of the workforce. and in fact seem to revelling in the unceratincy. One thing is for certain Steria will be inheriting disgruntled, poorly motivated workforce, with goodwill being non existant, and as anyone who runs a business will tell you thats not good. The MOJ and Streia only have themselves to blame for that.[/p][/quote]What nonsense !!! The best way to motivate the workforce is threaten the lazy so ans sos with the sack, performance would soon improve then. When UKIP win the next General Election , all the siily EU Red tape protecting inefficent workers will be gone within days, enable employers to fully motivate and get better value for money from their employees. BobEvams2014
  • Score: -11

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree