One step closer on Welsh school plan

Photos Becky Matthews Words John 20.3.13 Duffryn High School, Newport - Scene of a stabbing. (8844078)

Photos Becky Matthews Words John 20.3.13 Duffryn High School, Newport - Scene of a stabbing. (6104323)

First published in News by

PLANS to build a new Welsh school on the site of an existing Newport secondary are taking shape after an outline proposal was submitted to Welsh Government, the Argus can reveal.

Gwent’s only Welsh-medium secondary school which accepts pupils from out of county, Ysgol Gyfun Gwynllyw in Pontypool, will be full by 2016 and campaigners have been calling on politicians for more than a year to name a new site.

A Newport Council cabinet report published back in May said Gwent’s five authorities had been searching for a suitable new site “for some time” and came up with three options, the first being to refurbish Duffryn High School in Newport and establish a separate Welsh school to share the same site, financed by Newport, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent and Welsh Government.

The second was to find a site in Monmouthshire and bus Newport pupils to the north of Gwent, while the third option was to develop two sites, one in the north and another in the south, namely Newport.

The new build would provide “seedling provision” from September 2016 for around 70 to 80 pupils, rising to 500 by 2020, and 770 by 2021/22.

Despite the South East Wales Consortium initially backing the third option, the Argus understands that a strategic outline business case has been submitted to Welsh Government backing the Duffryn plan which involves “significant...capital investment for remodelling, refurbishing and extension” of the school.

If this is approved by Welsh Government, the consortia would then start work on a more detailed business case.

Monmouthshire’s 21st Century programme manager Simon Kneafsey said in a statement that they expected to hear by mid-August if the plan is accepted.

“The consortium’s preferred solution to meet the need in 2016 is the Newport Duffryn School site,” he said.

In a report on cabinet member decisions, which went before Monmouthshire council on Thursday, Mr Kneafsey said the council would commit £2.5 million towards the project with a further £2.5 million provided by Welsh Government.

“The requirement to provide additional Welsh medium secondary school places within the South East Consortium by September 2016 is to be met by the redevelopment of the Duffryn secondary school site in Newport,” says the report.

“To secure places in the Newport proposal, Newport have requested a financial contribution.”

The cash could be moved into the 2018/19 funding allocation to allow the council and the rest of the consortium more time to review the need for this provision and carry out the required feasibility studies, said the report.

A spokesman for Welsh Government said an application has been received and its consideration is still at a very early phase.

“As such it is too early to confirm a timescale but the local authority will be made aware of the decision in due course,” he said.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:46pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Paxman's Army says...

Full Welsh medium schools? I thought according to so many people who post on these sites that the language was dead? I suppose the popularity is due to the children being forced at gunpoint to learn Welsh? No? I suppose the parents are being duped into believing these schools rate highly? They do? Oh.

So more Welsh language schools being built because of their popularity and success is a bad thing? How can anyone in their right mind be against more quality schools?
Full Welsh medium schools? I thought according to so many people who post on these sites that the language was dead? I suppose the popularity is due to the children being forced at gunpoint to learn Welsh? No? I suppose the parents are being duped into believing these schools rate highly? They do? Oh. So more Welsh language schools being built because of their popularity and success is a bad thing? How can anyone in their right mind be against more quality schools? Paxman's Army
  • Score: 11

6:04pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Paxman's Army wrote:
Full Welsh medium schools? I thought according to so many people who post on these sites that the language was dead? I suppose the popularity is due to the children being forced at gunpoint to learn Welsh? No? I suppose the parents are being duped into believing these schools rate highly? They do? Oh.

So more Welsh language schools being built because of their popularity and success is a bad thing? How can anyone in their right mind be against more quality schools?
Kids ARE forced to learn it. It's a compulsory subject. If it were a living language that wouldn't be necessary would it? That's the measure of the desperation to bring it back off life support.
[quote][p][bold]Paxman's Army[/bold] wrote: Full Welsh medium schools? I thought according to so many people who post on these sites that the language was dead? I suppose the popularity is due to the children being forced at gunpoint to learn Welsh? No? I suppose the parents are being duped into believing these schools rate highly? They do? Oh. So more Welsh language schools being built because of their popularity and success is a bad thing? How can anyone in their right mind be against more quality schools?[/p][/quote]Kids ARE forced to learn it. It's a compulsory subject. If it were a living language that wouldn't be necessary would it? That's the measure of the desperation to bring it back off life support. Stevenboy
  • Score: -14

6:27pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Paxman's Army says...

Funny. . .no one forced me or my child. Am I in the same country as you? When I placed my child in a Welsh medium school. . no one forced us.

OH you mean children are taught a second language in ALL schools. I see. Yes, I suppose they DO force that. But then they do that all over the world, don't they? Wot's that? You don't see a purpose for Welsh? Well, why learn French or Latin. They aren't dying you say and Welsh is? But these medium schools are filled to breaking. That's hardly news that Welsh is "dying."

No BoySteven. . .the fact is that there is a growing need for Welsh Medium schools. . .because they're popular and successful. And you have a problem with that? Oy vey.
Funny. . .no one forced me or my child. Am I in the same country as you? When I placed my child in a Welsh medium school. . no one forced us. OH you mean children are taught a second language in ALL schools. I see. Yes, I suppose they DO force that. But then they do that all over the world, don't they? Wot's that? You don't see a purpose for Welsh? Well, why learn French or Latin. They aren't dying you say and Welsh is? But these medium schools are filled to breaking. That's hardly news that Welsh is "dying." No BoySteven. . .the fact is that there is a growing need for Welsh Medium schools. . .because they're popular and successful. And you have a problem with that? Oy vey. Paxman's Army
  • Score: 15

6:48pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Paxman's Army wrote:
Funny. . .no one forced me or my child. Am I in the same country as you? When I placed my child in a Welsh medium school. . no one forced us.

OH you mean children are taught a second language in ALL schools. I see. Yes, I suppose they DO force that. But then they do that all over the world, don't they? Wot's that? You don't see a purpose for Welsh? Well, why learn French or Latin. They aren't dying you say and Welsh is? But these medium schools are filled to breaking. That's hardly news that Welsh is "dying."

No BoySteven. . .the fact is that there is a growing need for Welsh Medium schools. . .because they're popular and successful. And you have a problem with that? Oy vey.
No problem at all. I'm all for free choice. But compelling kids of parents who DONT want it isn't choice is it? Why is that so hard to understand? I'd prefer my kids taught ANY second language bar Welsh because I'd prefer them to have greater markets for their linguistic capability than a public sector role in one quarter of a minute principality. I got round it by sending them to private schools.
[quote][p][bold]Paxman's Army[/bold] wrote: Funny. . .no one forced me or my child. Am I in the same country as you? When I placed my child in a Welsh medium school. . no one forced us. OH you mean children are taught a second language in ALL schools. I see. Yes, I suppose they DO force that. But then they do that all over the world, don't they? Wot's that? You don't see a purpose for Welsh? Well, why learn French or Latin. They aren't dying you say and Welsh is? But these medium schools are filled to breaking. That's hardly news that Welsh is "dying." No BoySteven. . .the fact is that there is a growing need for Welsh Medium schools. . .because they're popular and successful. And you have a problem with that? Oy vey.[/p][/quote]No problem at all. I'm all for free choice. But compelling kids of parents who DONT want it isn't choice is it? Why is that so hard to understand? I'd prefer my kids taught ANY second language bar Welsh because I'd prefer them to have greater markets for their linguistic capability than a public sector role in one quarter of a minute principality. I got round it by sending them to private schools. Stevenboy
  • Score: -18

7:07pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Paxman's Army says...

Your child may not need trigonometry too. . . but it's taught all the same.

Private school it is then. If you don't like the curriculum. . I think that's a good alternative. More power to you. You don't like Welsh? Go to a special school. Don't like Trig. Go to a special school.

But again, I'm talking about the growth and popularity of Welsh Medium schools. And popular it is! Did you read the article? Nearly 800 more students in such a short space of time! How fantastic!
Your child may not need trigonometry too. . . but it's taught all the same. Private school it is then. If you don't like the curriculum. . I think that's a good alternative. More power to you. You don't like Welsh? Go to a special school. Don't like Trig. Go to a special school. But again, I'm talking about the growth and popularity of Welsh Medium schools. And popular it is! Did you read the article? Nearly 800 more students in such a short space of time! How fantastic! Paxman's Army
  • Score: 10

7:20pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Paxman's Army wrote:
Your child may not need trigonometry too. . . but it's taught all the same.

Private school it is then. If you don't like the curriculum. . I think that's a good alternative. More power to you. You don't like Welsh? Go to a special school. Don't like Trig. Go to a special school.

But again, I'm talking about the growth and popularity of Welsh Medium schools. And popular it is! Did you read the article? Nearly 800 more students in such a short space of time! How fantastic!
800 is not very many. The Internet, satellite TV and global change will reduce it by far more than that every day. Seen this article from the economist?
http://www.economist
.com/news/business/2
1596538-growing-numb
er-firms-worldwide-a
re-adopting-english-
their-official-langu
age-english
[quote][p][bold]Paxman's Army[/bold] wrote: Your child may not need trigonometry too. . . but it's taught all the same. Private school it is then. If you don't like the curriculum. . I think that's a good alternative. More power to you. You don't like Welsh? Go to a special school. Don't like Trig. Go to a special school. But again, I'm talking about the growth and popularity of Welsh Medium schools. And popular it is! Did you read the article? Nearly 800 more students in such a short space of time! How fantastic![/p][/quote]800 is not very many. The Internet, satellite TV and global change will reduce it by far more than that every day. Seen this article from the economist? http://www.economist .com/news/business/2 1596538-growing-numb er-firms-worldwide-a re-adopting-english- their-official-langu age-english Stevenboy
  • Score: -6

7:25pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

Paxman's Army wrote:
Your child may not need trigonometry too. . . but it's taught all the same.

Private school it is then. If you don't like the curriculum. . I think that's a good alternative. More power to you. You don't like Welsh? Go to a special school. Don't like Trig. Go to a special school.

But again, I'm talking about the growth and popularity of Welsh Medium schools. And popular it is! Did you read the article? Nearly 800 more students in such a short space of time! How fantastic!
Or this?
Christie Davies
Christie Davies argues that as the Welsh language will and must die out, encouraging people to learn it is a pointless exercise

The study of Welsh is compulsory in all schools in Wales. In Gwynedd all teaching is exclusively through the medium of Welsh. Yet, in my opinion, learning Welsh is of no use to anyone, since even in Wales itself the language is spoken by less than a fifth of the population and the vast majority of Welsh speakers are bilingual, often with English as their stronger language.

In the past, when Welsh was stronger, it acted as a fetter on the achievements of the Welsh people. In Cornwall, where the people were liberated from the Cornish version of Welsh in the 18th century and entered fully into the English-speaking world of science and commerce, Davy discovered sodium, Trevithick invented the steam engine and Cousin Jack went on to dominate hard-rock mining throughout the world. All that could have been ours but for the bindweed of the Welsh language. There are no jobs for which a knowledge of Welsh is necessary.

It is not surprising that supporters of the Welsh language say that their aim is some kind of blurred bilingualism rather than monoglot Welshness. English speakers in Wales, as in England, would benefit more from a thorough knowledge of some other world language such as German and Spanish.

Whereas there is a strong case for ensuring that all school children in the United Kingdom should acquire a thorough mastery of all aspects of the English language, no such argument can be applied to the teaching and learning of Welsh. Rather, two libertarian principles should prevail throughout the Principality. First, all pupils should have an inalienable right to be educated through the medium of English. Second, every pupil should have the right not to study Welsh and to have access to a choice of modern languages in school.

While the Welsh language will, should and must die out, it does not follow that the study of dead Welsh should be abandoned. On the contrary the Welsh of the past should be made available alongside Latin and Greek for the more gifted pupils. Welsh is the nearest thing we have to the language of Caradog and Boudica, the ancestral language of everyone throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Ulster, with the exception of the alien Gaelic-speaking peoples of the outer fringes. Within Wales itself a new modular course in postmodernist Welshness could be introduced into all schools on a purely optional basis. Pupils would shop around for those bits and pieces of Welsh identity reflecting their own particular needs. Those for whom the teaching of things Welsh is merely disguised separatism and treason may well object that such an approach lacks a coherent metanarrative. Yet we teach religion in schools in exactly this fashion. The traditional Welsh way of life flourishes today only in rural Country Antrim. Shoring up a dying language will not bring back the moral culture for which it was once a vehicle.

Christie Davies is professor of sociology at the University of Reading.
[quote][p][bold]Paxman's Army[/bold] wrote: Your child may not need trigonometry too. . . but it's taught all the same. Private school it is then. If you don't like the curriculum. . I think that's a good alternative. More power to you. You don't like Welsh? Go to a special school. Don't like Trig. Go to a special school. But again, I'm talking about the growth and popularity of Welsh Medium schools. And popular it is! Did you read the article? Nearly 800 more students in such a short space of time! How fantastic![/p][/quote]Or this? Christie Davies Christie Davies argues that as the Welsh language will and must die out, encouraging people to learn it is a pointless exercise The study of Welsh is compulsory in all schools in Wales. In Gwynedd all teaching is exclusively through the medium of Welsh. Yet, in my opinion, learning Welsh is of no use to anyone, since even in Wales itself the language is spoken by less than a fifth of the population and the vast majority of Welsh speakers are bilingual, often with English as their stronger language. In the past, when Welsh was stronger, it acted as a fetter on the achievements of the Welsh people. In Cornwall, where the people were liberated from the Cornish version of Welsh in the 18th century and entered fully into the English-speaking world of science and commerce, Davy discovered sodium, Trevithick invented the steam engine and Cousin Jack went on to dominate hard-rock mining throughout the world. All that could have been ours but for the bindweed of the Welsh language. There are no jobs for which a knowledge of Welsh is necessary. It is not surprising that supporters of the Welsh language say that their aim is some kind of blurred bilingualism rather than monoglot Welshness. English speakers in Wales, as in England, would benefit more from a thorough knowledge of some other world language such as German and Spanish. Whereas there is a strong case for ensuring that all school children in the United Kingdom should acquire a thorough mastery of all aspects of the English language, no such argument can be applied to the teaching and learning of Welsh. Rather, two libertarian principles should prevail throughout the Principality. First, all pupils should have an inalienable right to be educated through the medium of English. Second, every pupil should have the right not to study Welsh and to have access to a choice of modern languages in school. While the Welsh language will, should and must die out, it does not follow that the study of dead Welsh should be abandoned. On the contrary the Welsh of the past should be made available alongside Latin and Greek for the more gifted pupils. Welsh is the nearest thing we have to the language of Caradog and Boudica, the ancestral language of everyone throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Ulster, with the exception of the alien Gaelic-speaking peoples of the outer fringes. Within Wales itself a new modular course in postmodernist Welshness could be introduced into all schools on a purely optional basis. Pupils would shop around for those bits and pieces of Welsh identity reflecting their own particular needs. Those for whom the teaching of things Welsh is merely disguised separatism and treason may well object that such an approach lacks a coherent metanarrative. Yet we teach religion in schools in exactly this fashion. The traditional Welsh way of life flourishes today only in rural Country Antrim. Shoring up a dying language will not bring back the moral culture for which it was once a vehicle. Christie Davies is professor of sociology at the University of Reading. Stevenboy
  • Score: -12

8:05pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Paxman's Army says...

And, contrary to Professor Davies I could point out the mass of experts that point out how we should be saving languages from extinction. Unfortunately for her argument and yours, it doesn't take into account the growing popularity of Welsh Medium schools in Gwent and all of South Wales, does she? 800 isn't many? Are you kidding me? The population within Welsh Medium schools is enormous and growing every day. People I know are waiting for places for their children! Quote a professor all you'd like. . . but it doesn't remove that simple fact that you and her and a few others want the language to die. But a growing amount don't. And that's why we need more Welsh Medium schools. They are popular. . successful. . and growing. Davies is clearly wrong because she doesn't factor those facts in her apprasal. Wrong because. . .all those facts, after all these years of decline, show a language in blossoming ascendency.

Look. . .I'm American and I've got news for you if you really think English is being spoken around the world. It ain't. American is. A'ight? We've spread our KFC/Pepsi/Thumbs Up/In-Your-Face culture all over the world. . .including here. If you favour (note the spelling) culture depletion. . .then you won't mind the end to fish and chips and high streets. . .because Big Macs and Oversized Supermarkets are taking over your culture. Let that die too you say? For shame.
And, contrary to Professor Davies I could point out the mass of experts that point out how we should be saving languages from extinction. Unfortunately for her argument and yours, it doesn't take into account the growing popularity of Welsh Medium schools in Gwent and all of South Wales, does she? 800 isn't many? Are you kidding me? The population within Welsh Medium schools is enormous and growing every day. People I know are waiting for places for their children! Quote a professor all you'd like. . . but it doesn't remove that simple fact that you and her and a few others want the language to die. But a growing amount don't. And that's why we need more Welsh Medium schools. They are popular. . successful. . and growing. Davies is clearly wrong because she doesn't factor those facts in her apprasal. Wrong because. . .all those facts, after all these years of decline, show a language in blossoming ascendency. Look. . .I'm American and I've got news for you if you really think English is being spoken around the world. It ain't. American is. A'ight? We've spread our KFC/Pepsi/Thumbs Up/In-Your-Face culture all over the world. . .including here. If you favour (note the spelling) culture depletion. . .then you won't mind the end to fish and chips and high streets. . .because Big Macs and Oversized Supermarkets are taking over your culture. Let that die too you say? For shame. Paxman's Army
  • Score: 13

8:59pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Torfaenwr says...

Yes, I've seen that disingenuous piece from Christie Davies before, trotted out by one of the other Cymraeg-intolerant bigots who haunt these pages. Mr Davies is a known right wing British nationalist who left Wales in his youth, some 60 years ago when Wales was a very different place, and apparently never looked back except to denigrate it. He's long retired, and was when he published this: it's not based on any research into Welsh or facts about it. His jaded view of Cymraeg is simply one old man's misguided prejudice, neither accurate, nor shared by his academic peers.
Yes, I've seen that disingenuous piece from Christie Davies before, trotted out by one of the other Cymraeg-intolerant bigots who haunt these pages. Mr Davies is a known right wing British nationalist who left Wales in his youth, some 60 years ago when Wales was a very different place, and apparently never looked back except to denigrate it. He's long retired, and was when he published this: it's not based on any research into Welsh or facts about it. His jaded view of Cymraeg is simply one old man's misguided prejudice, neither accurate, nor shared by his academic peers. Torfaenwr
  • Score: 6

9:08pm Mon 4 Aug 14

sylwebydd says...

So, the language that no one wants to learn is over subscribed, explain that.
So, the language that no one wants to learn is over subscribed, explain that. sylwebydd
  • Score: 10

9:14pm Mon 4 Aug 14

altom23 says...

Pwer i'r rhieni / Power to the parents It is in their hands and they know best!
Pwer i'r rhieni / Power to the parents It is in their hands and they know best! altom23
  • Score: 7

9:25pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Paxman's Army says...

Torfaenwr wrote:
Yes, I've seen that disingenuous piece from Christie Davies before, trotted out by one of the other Cymraeg-intolerant bigots who haunt these pages. Mr Davies is a known right wing British nationalist who left Wales in his youth, some 60 years ago when Wales was a very different place, and apparently never looked back except to denigrate it. He's long retired, and was when he published this: it's not based on any research into Welsh or facts about it. His jaded view of Cymraeg is simply one old man's misguided prejudice, neither accurate, nor shared by his academic peers.
Personally, I'm amazed to see how wonderfully resiliant the Welsh language is.

My grandparents spoke Yiddish, which like Welsh was and is by many considered a dying language. Sadly, efforts to save Yiddish haven't succeeded very well and unlike Welsh it's only taught in universities. Yiddish is bound with the culture of its people. . and sadly now, it's only kept alive by a few orthodox Jewish groups. Even in Israel, its considered "backwards."

It sounds so familiar to the struggle of Welsh Language. However, the difference here is that people took a systematic, long-term approach to nurture it.

I think what many people don't realise (note the "s" rather than the "z") is that language is the singular thing that defines a people. More than politics. More than architecture. More than appearance even. With the death of Welsh, the people would have become no different than anyone else. The popularity of Welsh Medium schools show distinctly that we (and I do mean "we" because I'm proud to live here) are a bilingual people. . .a bilingual culture. . .a bilingual nation. The sooner people in this corner of Wales accept that, the better.
[quote][p][bold]Torfaenwr[/bold] wrote: Yes, I've seen that disingenuous piece from Christie Davies before, trotted out by one of the other Cymraeg-intolerant bigots who haunt these pages. Mr Davies is a known right wing British nationalist who left Wales in his youth, some 60 years ago when Wales was a very different place, and apparently never looked back except to denigrate it. He's long retired, and was when he published this: it's not based on any research into Welsh or facts about it. His jaded view of Cymraeg is simply one old man's misguided prejudice, neither accurate, nor shared by his academic peers.[/p][/quote]Personally, I'm amazed to see how wonderfully resiliant the Welsh language is. My grandparents spoke Yiddish, which like Welsh was and is by many considered a dying language. Sadly, efforts to save Yiddish haven't succeeded very well and unlike Welsh it's only taught in universities. Yiddish is bound with the culture of its people. . and sadly now, it's only kept alive by a few orthodox Jewish groups. Even in Israel, its considered "backwards." It sounds so familiar to the struggle of Welsh Language. However, the difference here is that people took a systematic, long-term approach to nurture it. I think what many people don't realise (note the "s" rather than the "z") is that language is the singular thing that defines a people. More than politics. More than architecture. More than appearance even. With the death of Welsh, the people would have become no different than anyone else. The popularity of Welsh Medium schools show distinctly that we (and I do mean "we" because I'm proud to live here) are a bilingual people. . .a bilingual culture. . .a bilingual nation. The sooner people in this corner of Wales accept that, the better. Paxman's Army
  • Score: 9

7:34am Tue 5 Aug 14

Stevenboy says...

altom23 wrote:
Pwer i'r rhieni / Power to the parents It is in their hands and they know best!
If you don't want your kids taught Welsh you have no power. So are you saying only one type of parent should have it?
[quote][p][bold]altom23[/bold] wrote: Pwer i'r rhieni / Power to the parents It is in their hands and they know best![/p][/quote]If you don't want your kids taught Welsh you have no power. So are you saying only one type of parent should have it? Stevenboy
  • Score: -3

8:19am Tue 5 Aug 14

Sometimes says...

Putting a welsh medium school in an area where less than 6% of the population speak the language, good move, it will no doubt improve the score in the next round of marking, where did Wales lie again?
This government have made the teaching of the language compulsory to all children, yet the number of people speaking it has fallen, therefore they're not learning it, using it, or want it, the facts don't lie, no matter how loud people shout about the need for the language. Physics, Engineering, Maths, English, these are the sorts of subjects that will create opportunities in Wales, put the money to improving these subjects. We could save a fortune by placing all the road signs in the one national language, which is officially English, the savings could pay for a lot more OAP hot meals or reduce the hospital waiting times.
Putting a welsh medium school in an area where less than 6% of the population speak the language, good move, it will no doubt improve the score in the next round of marking, where did Wales lie again? This government have made the teaching of the language compulsory to all children, yet the number of people speaking it has fallen, therefore they're not learning it, using it, or want it, the facts don't lie, no matter how loud people shout about the need for the language. Physics, Engineering, Maths, English, these are the sorts of subjects that will create opportunities in Wales, put the money to improving these subjects. We could save a fortune by placing all the road signs in the one national language, which is officially English, the savings could pay for a lot more OAP hot meals or reduce the hospital waiting times. Sometimes
  • Score: -5

8:39am Tue 5 Aug 14

Mr Miffed says...

Sometimes wrote:
Putting a welsh medium school in an area where less than 6% of the population speak the language, good move, it will no doubt improve the score in the next round of marking, where did Wales lie again?
This government have made the teaching of the language compulsory to all children, yet the number of people speaking it has fallen, therefore they're not learning it, using it, or want it, the facts don't lie, no matter how loud people shout about the need for the language. Physics, Engineering, Maths, English, these are the sorts of subjects that will create opportunities in Wales, put the money to improving these subjects. We could save a fortune by placing all the road signs in the one national language, which is officially English, the savings could pay for a lot more OAP hot meals or reduce the hospital waiting times.
You're wasting your time. Facts and logic don't work on Welsh obsessives. Visit any call centre and you'll see the Welsh speaking agents playing solitaire on their computers and gathering cobwebs. The levels of fluency are exaggerated hugely for political expediency. You are deemed to be 'Welsh speaking' here if you read the Welsh word for 'exit' on a motorway.
[quote][p][bold]Sometimes[/bold] wrote: Putting a welsh medium school in an area where less than 6% of the population speak the language, good move, it will no doubt improve the score in the next round of marking, where did Wales lie again? This government have made the teaching of the language compulsory to all children, yet the number of people speaking it has fallen, therefore they're not learning it, using it, or want it, the facts don't lie, no matter how loud people shout about the need for the language. Physics, Engineering, Maths, English, these are the sorts of subjects that will create opportunities in Wales, put the money to improving these subjects. We could save a fortune by placing all the road signs in the one national language, which is officially English, the savings could pay for a lot more OAP hot meals or reduce the hospital waiting times.[/p][/quote]You're wasting your time. Facts and logic don't work on Welsh obsessives. Visit any call centre and you'll see the Welsh speaking agents playing solitaire on their computers and gathering cobwebs. The levels of fluency are exaggerated hugely for political expediency. You are deemed to be 'Welsh speaking' here if you read the Welsh word for 'exit' on a motorway. Mr Miffed
  • Score: -7

1:56pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Taffyduck18 says...

http://syniadau--bui
ldinganindependentwa
les.blogspot.co.uk/2
012/04/do-welsh-medi
um-schools-produce-b
etter.html?m=1

I was educated through the medium of Welsh and so will my children whenever they arrive. Welsh schools do better as per the above link if your issue is value for money, Gwynllyw in Torfaen is funded in fifth place out of seven so the argument for Welsh schools receiving more funding has gone out the window too. So if we can agree that for less funding we produce bilingual pupils who have a respect for their culture and heritage as well as better grades for the job market I believe a new Welsh school is what's called for.

O BYDDED I’R HEN IAITH BARHAU
http://syniadau--bui ldinganindependentwa les.blogspot.co.uk/2 012/04/do-welsh-medi um-schools-produce-b etter.html?m=1 I was educated through the medium of Welsh and so will my children whenever they arrive. Welsh schools do better as per the above link if your issue is value for money, Gwynllyw in Torfaen is funded in fifth place out of seven so the argument for Welsh schools receiving more funding has gone out the window too. So if we can agree that for less funding we produce bilingual pupils who have a respect for their culture and heritage as well as better grades for the job market I believe a new Welsh school is what's called for. O BYDDED I’R HEN IAITH BARHAU Taffyduck18
  • Score: 10

4:17pm Tue 5 Aug 14

Cymreigiwr says...

Actually, contrary to the spurious suggestions from 'Sometimes', another Welsh medium school in the area IS absolutely likely to improve the figures, as borne out in the latest school rankings, which have confirmed yet again that Welsh medium schools generally outperform their English medium counterparts, including doing as well if not better in sciences and maths, and even English!

As ably highlighted by 'TaffyDuck18', there is no preferential funding: Welsh medium schools cost no more than any other. They're also completely open to any child in their area: every child in Wales has the right to access one, and more and more are choosing to do so.

Arguing against Welsh medium schooling in the face of its obvious success and ever-growing popularity makes no rational sense whatsoever.
Actually, contrary to the spurious suggestions from 'Sometimes', another Welsh medium school in the area IS absolutely likely to improve the figures, as borne out in the latest school rankings, which have confirmed yet again that Welsh medium schools generally outperform their English medium counterparts, including doing as well if not better in sciences and maths, and even English! As ably highlighted by 'TaffyDuck18', there is no preferential funding: Welsh medium schools cost no more than any other. They're also completely open to any child in their area: every child in Wales has the right to access one, and more and more are choosing to do so. Arguing against Welsh medium schooling in the face of its obvious success and ever-growing popularity makes no rational sense whatsoever. Cymreigiwr
  • Score: 8

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree