A BLAENAVON dad has lodged a complaint with council chiefs after his wheelie bin was taken away during an alleged altercation with binmen last week.
Illtyd Caddick says that one worker became abusive toward his wife and child during the row outside his house in Elgam Avenue, Blaenavon.
Mr Caddick maintains the crew took the wheelie bin because they became frustrated after an obstruction stopped their lorry from getting past their property.
But Torfaen council said the bin was removed because its lid was broken and it has since replaced it.
The crew called police during the row but no further action was taken.
Mr Caddick says he later received hoax text messages claiming the bin was taken away because it was on yellow lines and its wheels were inflated, thereby posing a risk to the public.
However, Torfaen council said it did not send texts to households and some of their content, including a phone number, showed they were not genuine.
Mr Caddick, 41, said: “I’m disappointed. We have had no response from the council.”
A Torfaen council spokesman said: “Our waste crew visited Elgam Avenue on Monday, February 16, and were unable to access the road with their wagon due to a parked vehicle causing an obstruction.
“The crew asked Mrs Caddick to move the vehicle, however, she was unable to do so at the time because she did not have the keys.
“The crew continued to collect the bins in Elgam Avenue and during the collection the lid of the bin belonging to Mr and Mrs Caddick was damaged.
“The damaged bin was removed and replaced free of charge in line with council policy.
“Mr Caddick proceeded to threaten the crew and attempted to access the cab of their wagon, prompting them to call the police.
“He has accused the crew of swearing at his wife and children, which they vehemently deny.
“The police have asked if the crew wish to press charges, however, on this occasion they have decided not to take the matter any further.
“The resident’s complaint is being dealt with in line with the complaints procedures.”