A PETITION calling on the Welsh Government to move ahead with the £370m Circuit of Wales project as soon as possible has been presented to AMs.
The National Assembly’s cross-party Petitions Committee was presented the petition, which attracted 3,279 signatures, on Tuesday, October 11.
The project would see a 3.5 mile racetrack built in Ebbw Vale and is predicted to create around 170 full time jobs and another 1,500 part time roles while bringing 750,000 visitors into the area every year.
But the scheme has hit a stumbling block after its financial plan was turned down twice earlier this year.
The wording of the petition reads: “We call on the National Assembly for Wales to urge the Welsh Government to expedite the start of work on the Circuit of Wales as quickly as possible in order to help with the regeneration of Blaenau Gwent, the Heads of the Valleys and South Wales generally.”
And in a letter to the committee’s chairman and AM for Swansea East Mike Hedges, the Welsh Government’s economy and infrastructure secretary Ken Skates said he was supportive of the project but needed to ensure taxpayers’ money was not put at risk.
“My door remains firmly open and I have urged them (the developer) to revise their bid in such a way where the private sector takes more of the risk in order for this project to be taken forward,” he said.
“At least 50 per cent of this project should be funded and 50 per cent of the risk underwritten by the private sector to justify value for money for Wales and they have accepted this principle.
“My officials continue working constructively with the Circuit of Wales team to seek a funding solution that enables this project to be successful and delivered to benefit the local economy of Ebbw Vale and Wales at large.”