A GRANDMOTHER who threw three glasses at a model in a Newport pub – one of which hit her face – has avoided jail.

Emma Davies of Lord Street, Newport, appeared at Cardiff Crown Court today after previously pleading guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

The court heard that the incident related to her partner's former girlfriend, Katrina Foster.

Prosecuting, Nigel Fryer told the court that Davies, 38, and Miss Foster first encountered one another at the Greyhound pub, before the incident occurred on December 4 at the Atlantica pub.

“At some point in the evening, she [Miss Foster] went to the toilet in the Atlantica pub, where she saw Emma Davies," said Mr Fryer.

The court heard Miss Foster said feared there would be trouble when she Davies standing there with one of her friends.

“Without any warning, Emma Davies threw a glass towards her. It was the first in a number of glass to be thrown towards her,” added Mr Fryer.

“It cut her foot – there was blood near the bottom of her leg.

“She then threw a second glass towards her. She ducked.

“A third glass connected with her head and her face that resulted in the injuries that are subject to the charge.”

Mr Fryer described the glass throwing as a “quite unprovoked attack” and said that Miss Foster sustained two cuts above her left eye.

“She cannot remember much then as she was drifting in and out of consciousness,” said Mr Fryer.

“She could feel blood running down her face.”

Defending, Ruth Smith described Davies as a “lady of good character” who expressed her remorse for the incident which occurred in the Atlantic pub.

“The defendant has always accepted responsibility for throwing the glasses at the complainant,” said Miss Smith “She was ashamed and shocked at her actions towards the victim.”

Miss Smith added that alcohol played a large part and the defendant “bitterly regrets this incident”.

“It was an incident that took place in drink,” said the barrister, “this was done in drink.

“This incident appears to be wholly out of character.”

Concluding, recorder Eleri Rees warned Davies of her future behaviour and it was her previous clean character which had allowed her to immediately avoid jail.

“This was an unpleasant incident to somebody who uses her face as part of her work,” she said.

“It was totally unwarranted behaviour.”

Davies received a 12 month sentence suspended for 12 months with an unpaid community work commitment of 180 hours and a 10-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

A restraining order was placed on Davies, banned her from contacting Miss Foster directly, indirectly or via a third party for a period of five years.

Ms Rees ordered Davies to pay compensation of £750 as well as £250 towards costs and victim surcharge of £140, totalling £1,140.

“Those are not optional, those are requirements,” said Ms Rees.