Walkers boost Luca's appeal
2:20pm Monday 16th April 2012 in News
MORE than 200 people took part in a sponsored walk yesterday in aid of a Newport boy who lost his legs to meningitis.
Around 225 completed the three-mile walk at Fourteen Locks Visitor Centre, Rogerstone, in aid of three-year-old Luca Williams, with more helping out on stalls at the event.
The Argus reported how the 'Raise Your Hands for Luca' appeal aims to raise £1.5 million for the youngster who lost both his legs after contracting meningococcal septicaemia.
The money will be used to buy special prosthetics for Luca that are unavailable on the NHS, and to replace them at regular intervals as he continues to grow.
Celebrities have been backing the campaign including Welsh rugby players Ryan Jones and Leigh Halfpenny, pop star Pixie Lott and most recently singer Olly Murs.
Luca’s auntie Naz Syed, who organised the walk, said more than £2,000 had already been raised from the walking event with a lot more expected to come in over the next week.
She said: "I am really overwhelmed. It was a real community spirit."
She now plans on making the walk a yearly event.
She has also planned a band night at Six Feet Under, Newport, on April 28 at 7pm.
The event, which is for over 18s only, includes bands such as Dirty Goods and The Guns.
Tickets are £6 and are available by contacting Ms Syed on 07738784800 or by visiting Diverse Music or Kriminal Records, Newport.
To donate to the campaign visit www.justgiving.com/forluca or text ‘LUCA80 £5 or £10’ to 70070.
For more information visit www.facebook.com/ forluca1 or follow Twitter @for_luca