A SOLDIER who took part in an “appalling and barbaric”
sex attack on an unconscious man at a party was jailed yesterday.
Thomas Davies, 23, was part of a gang of people who attacked a young man after he passed out, filming the physical and sexual assaults on a mobile phone.
Prosecutor Christopher Rees told Newport Crown Court that Davies at a party in Pen-y-Bryn Court, Croespenmaen, on August 13 last year.
When the victim passed out after taking drugs, he was stripped, had his hair and eyebrows shaved and had liquid forced down his throat until he began to choke.
He was then subjected to degrading sexual assaults while Liam Price filmed the attack on his mobile phone before they dumped him in the street.
Shortly before midnight, a 999 call was made after the unconscious man was found naked in the street, covered with a blanket.
He was taken to hospital and had suffered multiple injuries, including cuts, bruising and swelling to his face and body, as well as internal injuries.
Davies previously admitted exposure, actual bodily harm and sexual assault but was not sentenced with three other perpetrators as a hearing was due to take place yesterday because he had disputed
his recollection and involvement.
However, at the 11th hour, Davies accepted the case and he was sentenced yesterday.
The court heard Davies, of Pentwyn Road, Crumlin, served in the Welsh Guards and had completed tours in hostile territory.
His defence counsel, Hywel Hughes said, were it not for these “disgraceful episodes,” he would have been serving in Afghanistan and
Davies accepted his Army career was finished.
The court heard Davies left the party before the more serious sexual assault took place.
Judge Rhys Rowlands said the victim was put through an “appalling and quite barbaric attack.”
He added: “He was subjected to a sustained and depraved assault. You got some sort of perverse pleasure out of humiliating your victim.”
Davies was given two months for exposure, 21 months for ABH and 42 months for sexual assault, to be served concurrently.
He must also sign on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely.
An Army spokesman said after the case: “Any soldier who falls short of the Army’s high standards will be subject to the disciplinary process.”
He added that this process could include dismissal.
Three others admitted attack
IN APRIL, Owain William, David Turner, 22, Niall Price, 19, and Liam Price, 22, all of no fixed abode, were locked up after they pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm,
sexual assault and inflicting grievous bodily harm on the third day of their trial.
Liam Price was jailed for six years, Turner for four years and Niall Price was detained in a young offenders’ institute for four years and six months.