Report this comment
  • "The Ambulance Service really do need to come up with better responses than they currently do for this sort of thing. Having said that, it's well known within the Service that the Welsh Assembly Government do not allow them to make meaningful responses. Clearly they do not provide the Ambulance Service with the resources it needs.

    There is also I suspect a continuing issue with poor senior management in the Ambulance Service. It's interesting that North Wales, which from my observations seems OVER-resourced in comparison to its considerably lighter workload than South Wales, has far better response times. Where is the Trust HQ? Surprise surprise - North Wales!

    I cannot imagine that any operational member of staff, OR any member of the Control Staff (who I suspect are overworked and severely undervalued by the Trust) like this situation. But to be fair, it is happening all over the UK as increasingly scarcer resources are targetted at reaching cases with a clinically high priority (ie life threatening) classification.

    This does not appear to be one of those cases. If that was my mother or father lying on the ground, I would be both angry and upset. BUT if at all possible I would try - pain or not - to get them into a car and take them to hospital myself. Could that really not have been attempted here? Likewise, I wouldn't have been too pleased if my mother or father was dying after a cardiac arrest and the ambulance was attending a kee injury.

    There are clearly lessons for the Ambulance Service here. For one, the manager in the Control Centre should have at least spoken to someone at the scene - there is NO excuse for that. And control staff should never 'hang up' on a caller....although I do suspect that didn't really happen here.

    The problem with the obsession with getting to top priority cases is that basic humanity seems to have been forgotten in the less serious cases. But I think a large portion of the blame for that should go to the politicians.

    As for the Argus report, what does the fact the ambulance took this gentleman to the Royal Gwent " a mile away" have to do with anything? To be honest, it only strengthens the case that perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad to try and get this gentleman into a car and pop him to the Gwent "a mile away" and save the ambulance for a more serious case.

    But as usual, the reporting of the Argus isn't always entirely fair in Ambulance Service stories, is it?!!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Injured Magor man's agonising 999 wait

Frank Miles waiting for the ambulance

Frank Miles waiting for the ambulance

First published in News

THIS is 69-year-old Frank Miles who lay on a wet floor for almost four hours waiting for an ambulance after falling over.

Mr Miles, from Magor, lay on the floor at the back of the Waterloo Hotel in Pill, Newport, for three hours and 35 minutes with a fractured left kneecap while he waited for an ambulance.

Mr Miles had been to a Newport and Uskmouth Rotary Club meeting at the hotel on Wednesday and was leaving at 2pm to go home when he slipped on the wet wooden decking leading out to the car park.

Hotel staff and rotary club members dialled 999 six times until a rapid response vehicle arrived with a paramedic at 5.30pm - some three hours and 20 minutes after the first call was made at 2.10pm.

The paramedic apologised to Mr Miles for the long wait and an ambulance, with two paramedics, arrived around 15 minutes later to take him to the Royal Gwent Hospital a mile away.

While the hours went by Mr Miles was wrapped in blankets, had his head propped up by a pillow and his leg supported by a cardboard box.

Hotel staff tried to protect him from the rain with three umbrellas and were concerned about the risk of hypothermia.

Despite the wait, Mr Miles remained in good spirits and said he was not in too much pain.

The retired civil servant said: "On a very rational basis I think it's ridiculous that when you injure yourself you have to wait for so long. It does feel like a long time but I feel relatively comfortable."

The hotel's manageress Teri Hawkes made the first call to the ambulance service and said she was told not to move Mr Miles.

The hotel's owner Bob Evans said :"I would have picked him up and taken him in my car but they said it's too risky. It's so frustrating that we can't do anything."

A retired surgeon and a retired GP were among the rotary members at the hotel who kept checking on Mr Miles' knee.

Former Newport GP Dr Malcolm Bright made the third 999 call and said he was told there was no ambulance available.

He said he asked to speak to a senior manager but was told they were too busy to speak to him.

He rang again at 3.40pm and said the operator hung up on him as they said they had another emergency call to deal with.

Dr Bright said that Mr Miles had told him his left kneecap had been fractured, and he was still in hospital yesterday.

Dr Bright said: "I think the paramedic service is wonderful but this has got to be a terrible system. Something needs to change and something needs to be improved.

"It's frightening that the ambulance service can't cope at this time of year."

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "We very much regret the time taken to respond to this call, which was received during a period of high call volume in the area.

"Whilst we cannot discuss individual patient details, we will be looking into this incident and would encourage the patient or family involved to contact us directly should they wish to discuss their concerns."

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree