JUST weeks after helping plan "the wedding of her dreams" Alison Selwood-Jones faced up to the harrowing task of arranging her own funeral.

The 45-year-old mother-of-two, from Duffryn, Newport, died last week, a little over three months after tying the knot with her partner of 14 years Mickey Jones.

The April wedding, at the Mansion House register office, featured a surprise baseball bat arch formed by a guard of honour of former teammates and opponents, was featured in the Argus.

It was organised in just two weeks, ahead of the proposed start of her cancer treatment.

But due to the spread of the disease Mrs Selwood-Jones, manager of the coffee shop at Newport Crown Court for 10 years, never had the chance to begin the chemotherapy she and her doctors had discussed.

Three weeks after the ceremony the former Newport Saracens ladies baseball team player received the devastating news that her stomach cancer, which had spread into her blood, had invaded her spine and was untreatable.

"But with guts and determination and not an ounce of self-pity, my brave sister came home and and got on with life," said Mrs Selwood-Jones' sister Jackie Selwood, also from Duffryn.

She had suggested the couple get married, ahead of the effects of chemotherapy kicking in, and she co-ordinated the wedding arrangements.

"It took two weeks and it came together perfectly," she said.

"A week before, Alison's legs gave way and she was admitted to Velindre Hospital for a course of steroids and pain relief.

"But she was determined to walk down the aisle. We had a zimmer frame decorated in bridal flowers just in case, but it wasn't needed.

"The day was spectacular and very emotional. My sister had the wedding of her dreams."

Mrs Selwood-Jones fell ill last summer, but cancer was not diagnosed until early this year.

After the news that her cancer was terminal, her sister said Mrs Selwood-Jones spent many hours reminiscing with her family and the many friends who visited.

And she also displayed a very practical kind of bravery.

"Alison and me did all the practical things you must do when you know you are dying. Attending to the will, the funeral, and her wishes, we did all of this together," said Jackie.

"She chose to stay at home until the end with her family at her side, and with fantastic help from St David's Hospice Care and the district nursing team."

Throughout most of her illness she endured intense pain, but she bravely got on with it."

MRS Selwood-Jones' funeral will be held next Thursday, August 9, at St Michael's Church, Pill, at 10am.

"She wanted it to be celebration of her life, a happy occasion," said Jackie.

Dress should be informal, and the family requested no flowers, with donations in lieu to be shared between St David's Hospice Care and Velindre Hospital.