NEWPORT Marathon was cancelled this year due to a lack of funds, organisers said.
Nicola Shaw said the run due to take place next month had to be put off because she could not raise the £1,000 start-up costs.
Mrs Shaw, of Rogerstone, who launched the event in the city for the first time last year with her husband William and other family members, said there was also a lack of interest from volunteers
needed to marshal the route.
She said 35 people who had paid either £30 to run the full marathon or £20 to complete a half marathon would soon receive their entry cheques back in the post.
A statement on the event's Twitter page at @newport_run reads: "Sad news folks. It is with huge regret and disappointment that the Newport Marathon has been cancelled this year."
A second read: "Thank you to everyone who has supported us over the last two years. Fingers crossed we will bounced back bigger and better."
A banner spread across the Newport Marathon website simply states that the event, due to take place in the city on Sunday October 28, will not go ahead but does not give any information as to the
Did you run in last year's marathon? Are you disappointed it has been cancelled?
Send your views to email@example.com or publish them below.