Newport marathon back on as charity and sponsor steps in
NEWPORT marathon is back on just three days after it was cancelled due to a lack of funds.
Diabetes UK have agreed to take over the running of the event, while the city’s Sytner Mini Garage will provide the £1,000 start-up costs needed.
Joseph Cuff, national fundraising manager for Diabetes UK, said he was happy the organisation could help.
He said: "It’s too good an event to let go. The Cardiff Half Marathon started the same way and that’s very big now - that could be Newport.
"If the people of Newport get behind it, it will bring it up on the map."
The charity will now be responsible for organising the event and will soon be contacting the 35 people who have already paid to enter to confirm their registration.
While Mr Cuff hopes many runners will choose to support his cause, participants are free to raise money for any charity they wish.
The Argus reported on Tuesday how the 26.2 mile race, due to take place on October 28, was cancelled because organiser Nicola Shaw could not raise the funds needed.
She had also failed to generate interest from volunteers needed to marshal the route, which will start and ends at the Newport Gwent Dragons rugby ground, Rodney Parade.
She said: "I am really pleased it is happening again. I met up with Joe and handed everything over and I hope it will get more support. It would have been a pity if it didn't happen."
Ms Shaw will be a volunteer in this year's event.
Sixty five runners took part in last year’s inaugural event raising thousands of pounds for various charities.
Anyone wanting to take part this year should e-mail email@example.com