TENS of thousands of people packed out a sunny Usk Show, providing another success for the annual event. RUTH MANSFIELD reports.

AROUND 20,000 people visited the annual Usk agricultural show held at Usk Showground on Saturday.

With shows of sheep, cows, dogs and horses as well as tractor exhibitions, cider making demonstrations, fair rides, stalls and refreshments there was plenty to keep all members of the family entertained.

Among the visitors at the event, which is organised by Usk Farmers’ Club, was Patricia and Les Evans, of Usk.

Mrs Evans said: "We have very much enjoyed it. We’ve been coming for the past 10 years. It’s something we look forward to.

Cindy Jones, of Penhow, and Sylvia Willis, of Raglan, were also among the visitors. Ms Jones said: "There’s something for everyone here. The weather has been beautiful too."

The event was the end of an era for general secretary of the show Fiona Jenkins who is bowing out after 12 years of organising the show.

Mrs Jenkins said she felt the time had come to step down from the role in order to spend more time with her family including husband Eric and to enjoy her summers.

She said: "We work hard all year round and I love show day. It is a great feeling to be active in something so worthwhile. I am certainly going to miss it but I hope to still be a volunteer next year."

Mrs Jenkins also thanked her family including her husband and four children who have volunteered at the show alongside her.

Faye Mear joined the Usk Show as general secretary in April and will take over from Mrs Jenkins. Ms Mear follows a family tradition after her mother Diane Watkins was general secretary of the show from 1986 to 1989.

She said: "I am looking forward to taking over. I am just trying to absorb as much of Fiona’s expertise as I can."

One visitor contacted the Argus about the park and ride queue for the event..

Sophie Johnson said there were around 180 people waiting with her and her family for the bus to Usk Showground and that they had to wait 90 minutes before arriving there.

The show's general secretary Faye Mear said they were aware of this and said it was due to the volume of traffic to the showground which the buses were stuck in at peak times.

She apologised to members of the public who had to wait and thanked them for their patience.

Ms Mear said this will now be reviewed and sorted out for next year's show.