Maesycwmmer hotel must pay £9,165 after fryer accident
2:30pm Saturday 22nd September 2012 in News
A VALLEYS hotel was ordered to pay £9,165 following an accident in the kitchen of the premises.
An employee of Bryn Meadows Golf Hotel and Spa in Maesycwmmer scalded her right hand, knee and foot while cleaning a deep fat fryer as part of her duties on December 18, 2011.
But the hotel said it is disappointed by the decision, as she said the employee sustained a burnt toe and returned to work three days later.
"It is with some frustration that we accept the court's fine, as a company that has operated with an exceptional record over the past 40 years. We are disappointed that Caerphilly council chose to prosecute our company in the first place," said a spokeswoman.
The council brought the prosecution following an investigation by Environmental Health and the company pleaded guilty to three offences under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 at Caerphilly Magistrates Court on September 6.
The company admitted failing to ensure the safety and absence of risks to health of an employee in connection with the use of a deep fat fryer, failing to provide adequate information, instruction, training and supervision to employees on the use of a deep fat fryer and failing to provide personal protective equipment to employees using the deep fat fryer.
The Bryn Meadows spokeswoman said a new management team were immediately given the task of ensuring the business was fully compliant with environmental health legislation and has consistently satisfied this requirement since the incident.
"Ultimately we are responsible for the safety of all employees, but in this current climate we see no benefit in the prosecution that the council chose to enforce," she added.
Bryn Meadows was handed fines of £3,500, £3,500 and £1,400, plus costs of £750 and a victim surcharge of £15.
Comments are closed on this article.