Markham family say they were forced to leave home after dad attacked
A FAMILY say they were forced to flee their Valleys home after a father was beaten in front of his son.
Donna Griffiths, who says husband Andrew was concussed after being attacked, said the family left their James Street home in Markham because of drug dealing, burglaries and violence in the neighbourhood.
Mrs Griffiths’ mother, Sharon Humphrey, said the family have lived there for six years but the younger children are now too scared to return.
“In September last year they had a break-in,” said Mrs Humphrey, 55, who lives in Newbridge.
“A laptop and games console were taken, as well as cash the boys had for their birthdays, but no one was caught. Since then one of my grandsons is too scared to sleep upstairs.”
The children – Ellie-Mae, six, Iestyn, eight, Andrew, ten, Rhiannon, 12, Lisa- Marie, 15 and Macauley, 17 – have experienced bullying and two of the younger boys were attacked by a gang, she said.
Then, on September 13, Mr Griffiths, 42, says he was outside his house when two men beat him in the front garden, in front of his ten-year-old son Andrew.
Mrs Humphrey said: “He was so scared seeing his father covered in blood, he ran away.
“They have other neighbours who are lovely and don’t want them to leave but this was the last straw.”
The family have since left the house and say they are unhappy with police.
Mrs Griffiths, 35, who is a self-employed singer, said: “No one has been sent to support my ten-year-old son and my neighbour, who was also left in a right state after witnessing it.”
A spokeswoman for Gwent Police said: “If anyone has any concerns regarding the way an incident has been dealt with they are asked to speak to the investigating officer.”
Local councillor Leon Gardiner said he was “very sorry” this has happened.
He said: “It is sad if there’s a black mark been put against the village.
“It’s a place that people want to come and live and has a very happy and prosperous school.
“The community here is second to none and I’m very proud to be the councillor.” PANEL Man left with facial injury following incident GWENT Police confirmed they attended an incident at 4.30pm on James Street on Thursday, September 13, when a 42-year-old man received a facial injury.
A man, 32, was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm and has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
A drugs warrant was also executed at an address on James Street on Sunday, September 23.
A 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis and money laundering, and has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
If anyone has information they are asked to call the police on 101.
Comments are closed on this article.