Protest is last bid to save Newport's Chartist mural
1:20pm Saturday 23rd February 2013 in Gwent news
ARTS protesters yesterday gathered in a last-ditch attempt to have their voices heard over plans to demolish Newport's iconic Chartist mural to make way for the new city centre development.
The group met in John Frost Square to protest against the loss of the art work, which could go in the coming months as work is set to start on the new Friars Walk development.
Newport council decided last year that the mural would be demolished and recreated on ceramic tiles in Newport Central Library with the permission of the orignial artist Kenneth Budd's son Oliver.
This was after a study found the 35-year-old art work could not be moved from its current location in the tunnel between John Frost Square and Austin Friars.
But its fans are continuing their fight to save it.
Councillor Charles Ferris, said it was a pity it had to be lost.
He said: "If they can move frescoes from walls and Egyptian hieroglyphics from pyramids why can't they move this?"